Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2023, 06:39 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
My family just celebrated the new arrival of my niece a few months ago and I must say she is absolutely adorable. And while she has me wrapped around her little finger, my family (specifically my mom) has been on me non stop about when it's going to be "my turn." And it's caused me to reflect on some things. I don't think I ever wanted to have children, as I have always been apprehensive. Even more so now with how expensive things are. I'm also not married and don't plan to be. But....dear old mom....she's really been showing me that one of her biggest dreams is to help through a "pregnancy journey." It makes me sad because it highlights some key fundamental differences she and I have. It also reminds me of how different I am from the people around me.

I love her very much and don't want to disappoint her but this is something that I think is unavoidable. Everyone around me is so sure that deep down I want to be a wife and mother (primarily because that's what other people have done) and don't believe I'm serious when I say I'm not interested. It's very depressing and isolating. My family doesn't really get me at all and I think it's time I just accept it. All I can I do is hope my mom can find some peace with that and enjoy the grandchild she does have now. So while I am happy have such lovable niece to love on, I would be lying if there weren't some melancholic thoughts. Which to me is awful because I think all the attention to be on her. Not me. Sigh.....c'est la vie.

Sorry to hear about your classmate/friend Chow.
If my daughter were to give her opinion on having a baby it would be the same. I try to assure her that it makes no difference to me, I want her to be able to take care of her OWNself and take advantage of every opportunity that comes her way. Her employer is presently paying for her her to take college classes towards a degree in a field that will get her promoted at her workplace. Who’d watch the baby? She drops the cats off as it is when she needs to get away or they’re distracting her. Seriously

The only difference I can see is she does seem to think she’s happier in a relationship. She just ended an 8 year relationship with the boyfriend she was living with. She had spent all of her adult years with him, so when he met someone else it really kind of messed her up and made her feel like there was something wrong with her. Luckily your generation doesn’t have as hard a time talking about mental health or admitting when they need help.

I can’t blame your mother for having an opinion, I don’t express one on her not planning on ever having a baby, but wanting a boyfriend right away after that trauma, and thinking she’s supposed to get married? She didn’t get that from me. I can’t seem to keep my opinion to myself about that subject. Whether in words or facial expression.

Don’t let what your mother wants make you feel like you’re disappointing her, I think most of us feel really proud and relieved when you can be healthy physically and mentally, and eventually just support yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 03:49 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Just got back from the store and it was a nightmare. Every checkout line had 10 deep. Not a grocery cart to be had.

I tried to call Mrs. Chow about 5 times, phone went right to voicemail. I haven't seen anything like it since the height of the pandemic. I was totally wigged out, didn't remember at first, but it was probably related to the hurricane coming.

By the time it gets to So cal in our area it shouldn't be anything more than a bunch of rain. I'm not sure why the run on the stores.

Old 08-19-2023, 04:29 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Just got back from the store and it was a nightmare. Every checkout line had 10 deep. Not a grocery cart to be had.

I tried to call Mrs. Chow about 5 times, phone went right to voicemail. I haven't seen anything like it since the height of the pandemic. I was totally wigged out, didn't remember at first, but it was probably related to the hurricane coming.

By the time it gets to So cal in our area it shouldn't be anything more than a bunch of rain. I'm not sure why the run on the stores.
That sounds like what we in the snow belt would call a "bread, milk, toilet paper" run. Anytime the forecast calls for snow, even if it might turn out to be nothing or will melt in a day or two, people raid the grocery store as if they're going be trapped by the ice for months.

Old 08-20-2023, 09:44 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
I keep a broom out on my patio to sweep leaves and such that blow into the area. This morning I stepped out there and realized that my broom has disappeared overnight. I'm sure it was there yesterday. Nothing else had been touched. (I have some nice little pieces of wooden patio furniture out there as well, and some pretty string lights.)

Ordinarily upon discovering a theft of my personal possessions I would feel upset, perhaps violated in my home space. This just has me confused. Like. It was a cheap broom, the kind you can get for a few bucks pretty much anywhere. Who the hell steals a broom?? It just feels so silly.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:52 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I keep a broom out on my patio to sweep leaves and such that blow into the area. This morning I stepped out there and realized that my broom has disappeared overnight. I'm sure it was there yesterday. Nothing else had been touched. (I have some nice little pieces of wooden patio furniture out there as well, and some pretty string lights.)

Ordinarily upon discovering a theft of my personal possessions I would feel upset, perhaps violated in my home space. This just has me confused. Like. It was a cheap broom, the kind you can get for a few bucks pretty much anywhere. Who the hell steals a broom?? It just feels so silly.
I so badly want to make a joke about a certain person's broom breaking down, but I won't (nothing to do with you, Sonic, lol).

Old 08-20-2023, 06:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I so badly want to make a joke about a certain person's broom breaking down, but I won't (nothing to do with you, Sonic, lol).
Yeah my husband probably would have said, are you sure it was stolen..rather than you just forgetting where you parked it?

Old 08-20-2023, 08:20 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Thanks Sonic and RbccL. I appreciate you guys acknowledging my whining lol. I was just annoyed that day but I'm actually doing much better now. Just got news about a job that has been in the works for a while now and I start in a few weeks. So my focus is on that now. I'm very excited and hope it will be great first step into my career.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:05 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
Just stopped in to say that I used to think that I was “normal” (having common sense, having manners, being polite, etc). Now I think there are so few of usleft that I am abnormal. LOL

Old 08-21-2023, 08:50 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Yeah my husband probably would have said, are you sure it was stolen..rather than you just forgetting where you parked it?
Yes, that sounds about like the same treatment I would receive around here.

EDIT: I just realized that maybe I should point out that I was referring to someone famous, and it was political, so that's why I refrained. I wasn't trying to call out anyone here personally. lol

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 08-21-2023 at 08:59 PM..

Old 08-22-2023, 12:49 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

It was me. Mine is in the shop. I meant to leave a note!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships