Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2023, 04:39 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times

Advertisements

I also don’t understand backing into spaces. My last conversation about that was with a person who was okay with making others wait in a parking lot because she insisted on backing in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 05:41 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I also don’t understand backing into spaces. My last conversation about that was with a person who was okay with making others wait in a parking lot because she insisted on backing in.
That’s an easy one! Lol

https://youtu.be/NlWCLw75XnE

Old 05-23-2023, 10:08 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I always thought backing into spaces was just dumb. However police do it for readiness purposes. So it must have purpose.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:46 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I always thought backing into spaces was just dumb. However police do it for readiness purposes. So it must have purpose.
Oh it does. A cop needs easy egress at times and I'm fine with a little disruption to my movements in order to allow that. But for regular citizen backing in, he's choosing to make it about him. Like where TF does he really need to go when he leaves with his beef jerky and 64 ounce Mountain Dew?

And what backing in does is place the burden of waiting time not only on the person backing in, but everyone watching this spectacle. A person backing out typically waits alone for an opportunity.

Yes, I've thought way too much about this.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:17 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
On the one hand, I agree that waiting for somebody to back into a parking space when it seems totally unnecessary, is annoying. On the other, I kind wish that I was more comfortable with doing so (which I'd only get by practicing it) because there are actually cities where they set up the street parking so that you're ONLY supposed to back in. But then, whether it's that or it's parallel parking on the street, city parking makes me kinda anxious anyways. I tend to look for paid lots and garages.

I am having surgery tomorrow to remove a benign (as far as we know) tumor on my ribs that has nonetheless grown big enough to be uncomfortable. I also hate the sight of it, though my husband says that he does not even really notice it, and was not aware that it bothered me as much as it does. I'm not much of a complainer, but I've wanted this thing dealt with for years. My surgeon wondered why I didn't get it taken care of long ago when it was still small...well, I was too busy taking care of other people for one thing. And back when it first showed up I was still with my ex and I lived in fear of the idea of being sick or incapacitated while with him. I won't get into the reasons why, but...yeah. Also, I figured that since doctors did not believe it to be life threatening, my insurance would surely not cover it, and I could not afford to pay for it. Well, none of that stuff is holding me back now. And to my surprise, now that I've bothered to pursue this, my insurance IS covering it, though I do have a deductible to meet.

I haven't been thinking of this as a very big deal. My best friend though, when I was talking to her, says, "Well...it is surgery, though. They are putting you under anesthesia. It ain't nothin'." /shrug

I am annoyed that it's not until the middle of the day tomorrow and I'm not allowed my morning coffee. That's gonna suck.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:28 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Oh it does. A cop needs easy egress at times and I'm fine with a little disruption to my movements in order to allow that. But for regular citizen backing in, he's choosing to make it about him. Like where TF does he really need to go when he leaves with his beef jerky and 64 ounce Mountain Dew?

And what backing in does is place the burden of waiting time not only on the person backing in, but everyone watching this spectacle. A person backing out typically waits alone for an opportunity.

Yes, I've thought way too much about this.
Beef jerky, Mountain Dew, and big truck. “Look what I can do!” That’s why I’ve always thought it was a man thing. My male neighbors backing into their garages as well. No not all men! But same kind of men who’ll be smirking at each other in anticipation while they watch me parallel park, hoping I can’t do it or have to jump the curb. City parking, with blocks of outdoor dining. The entertainment is the drivers.

You’re not thinking way too much about it imo, there’s definitely a psychology behind parking. If my opinion is genderizing though, to be fair it’s only women who have ever sat in their car waiting for my parking spot if I have a good one. When that happens, I pull out my phone, and read city data conversations until one of us is about to expire.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:00 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's how I feel about vests (the puffy or fleece kinds.) To me, if it's chilly enough to wear a jacket, my arms would also be cold?

And congrats to Aureleia! I remember when you were just getting started!
Thanks Fleetie this was heart warming to read along with everyone else's responses. I couldn't remember if I shared the beginnings of my journey with you guys so it's nice to see you remembered hahaha

Old 05-25-2023, 12:07 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Beef jerky, Mountain Dew, and big truck. “Look what I can do!” That’s why I’ve always thought it was a man thing. My male neighbors backing into their garages as well. No not all men! But same kind of men who’ll be smirking at each other in anticipation while they watch me parallel park, hoping I can’t do it or have to jump the curb. City parking, with blocks of outdoor dining. The entertainment is the drivers.

You’re not thinking way too much about it imo, there’s definitely a psychology behind parking. If my opinion is genderizing though, to be fair it’s only women who have ever sat in their car waiting for my parking spot if I have a good one. When that happens, I pull out my phone, and read city data conversations until one of us is about to expire.
I tend to think it's a lack of consideration, but it probably is at least part a performance. I guess a guy eating beef jerky and too much Mountain Dew (some is a sign of discerning tastes) needs to draw attention to his spiffy parking skills. Yet I parallel park at championship levels and I only insist that my passengers acknowledge this as it's happening, albeit sometimes with video documentation. I need content for my youtube parking channel.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:56 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I seemed to have somehow lost my parking skills at some point. I used to drive a windowless van for work and could parallel park it on one try in small-ish spots.

I've got a Challenger which isn't small but not as tough to drive as a van and I can't seem to park the car to save my life. I've had it for a year or so now and every time I park it in a spot I'm crooked or on one side too much or something. LOL. I'm like WTH???

Mrs. Chow is a good driver but can't parallel park for crap. LOL, one of us has to be useful in that area.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:45 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
I am an ok… parker. Andre taught me how to back up a horse trailer, 27’ containers and our hay baler. I can do it, but I am not sure that the cost to his mental health was worth it. He’d get frustrated with me and I’d get nervous and things would go sideways from there. Get out of the truck…I’ll do it myself! Lol Water under the bridge now, but I dreaded those “Lessons”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships