Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2021, 01:56 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times

Advertisements

I had Covid after my fiance died last year, got it in January. It was miserable and I felt like I would never recover, I was SO sick. Then, as I have mentioned, we lost our dad to Covid in January. It has been a crap year.

Yesterday was the anniversary of Jeff's death as well as it being my son's 26th birthday. Talk about a mix of emotions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 02:11 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I had Covid after my fiance died last year, got it in January. It was miserable and I felt like I would never recover, I was SO sick. Then, as I have mentioned, we lost our dad to Covid in January. It has been a crap year.

Yesterday was the anniversary of Jeff's death as well as it being my son's 26th birthday. Talk about a mix of emotions!
We both had COVID in August. I think it hit me a bit harder than her overall. We both got pretty lucky in thar we weren't super sick. It felt like a mild to moderate flu for us. Some have it really rough, obviously, feel bad for them.

Yeah, sometimes anniversaries aren't all that pleasant. Sorry to hear about him passing. I remember you talking about it a good while back and sometimes you want to reach out to people to just let them know that people are thinking about them. It sometimes just sort sounds trite in the written word. Sometimes it's hard to really get across certain things.

Anyway, I hope time helps heal some of that ugliness inside we all feel when we have loss. Mrs. Chow wishes you well too. She can't login into CD right now. For some reason CD is down for us. I'm on a VLAN so I'm routed differently and I haven't had issues logging in.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We both had COVID in August. I think it hit me a bit harder than her overall. We both got pretty lucky in thar we weren't super sick. It felt like a mild to moderate flu for us. Some have it really rough, obviously, feel bad for them.

Yeah, sometimes anniversaries aren't all that pleasant. Sorry to hear about him passing. I remember you talking about it a good while back and sometimes you want to reach out to people to just let them know that people are thinking about them. It sometimes just sort sounds trite in the written word. Sometimes it's hard to really get across certain things.

Anyway, I hope time helps heal some of that ugliness inside we all feel when we have loss. Mrs. Chow wishes you well too. She can't login into CD right now. For some reason CD is down for us. I'm on a VLAN so I'm routed differently and I haven't had issues logging in.
My heartfelt thanks to you and Mrs. Chow!

Jeff has been gone a year now, and although I was good for most of the day yesterday, I did have a cry last night. Held my engagement ring and what would have been his wedding band for a bit and talked to him, took some deep breaths, and cried.

I just don't want my son to always "see" his birthday as the date that Jeff died. But that isn't in my control, darn it!

Old 12-13-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Jeff has been gone a year now, and although I was good for most of the day yesterday, I did have a cry last night. Held my engagement ring and what would have been his wedding band for a bit and talked to him, took some deep breaths, and cried.

I just don't want my son to always "see" his birthday as the date that Jeff died. But that isn't in my control, darn it!
My mom passed away during Memorial day weekend several years ago and I still sort of remember that during each memorial day weekend. I always loved those summer holidays like Memorial day or the 4th. For several years I used to always think about that every time the holiday came around. It's better these days because she passed way back in 2006 and you get used to certain things, or things get easier.

I know moms are different than spouses. I think it hits us harder when it's a spouse because they aren't supposed to pass, you know? We know on a subconscious level that when our parents go it's the natural order of things.

Its not the same with a spouse. I've been with Mrs. Chow now longer than I've been single. I don't know what I would do if something happens to her.

I guess you just get up each day and put each foot in front you and carry on, as somewhat cold sounding that is I guess.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:26 PM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times
C-D is back up for me, at least for now.

Quote:

Aw, that's sweet, mlj.

Quote:
Yeah, that's very unfortunate. But maybe, as Chow says, it will get easier to accept as more time passes.

Wishing you all well.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
My mom passed away during Memorial day weekend several years ago and I still sort of remember that during each memorial day weekend. I always loved those summer holidays like Memorial day or the 4th. For several years I used to always think about that every time the holiday came around. It's better these days because she passed way back in 2006 and you get used to certain things, or things get easier.

I know moms are different than spouses. I think it hits us harder when it's a spouse because they aren't supposed to pass, you know? We know on a subconscious level that when our parents go it's the natural order of things.

Its not the same with a spouse. I've been with Mrs. Chow now longer than I've been single. I don't know what I would do if something happens to her.

I guess you just get up each day and put each foot in front you and carry on, as somewhat cold sounding that is I guess.
Well, I was only with Jeff for a year, but it still hits hard. Can't even think about losing my mom though...

And yep, getting up and carrying on is exactly right. Loss of family doesn't mean that life stops for the rest of us. I have to be strong for my family anyway. I want to make Christmas as good as it can be for them, it being the first one without our Papa.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Well, I was only with Jeff for a year, but it still hits hard. Can't even think about losing my mom though...

And yep, getting up and carrying on is exactly right. Loss of family doesn't mean that life stops for the rest of us. I have to be strong for my family anyway. I want to make Christmas as good as it can be for them, it being the first one without our Papa.
A year is still a long time to be with someone. Pain and loss are tough for sure.

Life does indeed go on. I remember when Mrs. Chow's dad passed, we were there by his side. He was on life support and we ended up having that stopped. It was really sad. I remember leaving the hospital and going to the grocery store and was feeling angry that everyone was happy. I remember feeling like how dare you. I realized even at the time how irrational that is to think, but something about it just felt like they were being cruel and unsympathetic.

Loss and pain aren't rational I guess.

Life does go on and we have to accept that fact. I always wonder about people's situations, what they are going through etc. People have many challenges in their lives and I think sometimes we forget just how good we might have it. It's always a bad day for someone, somewhere.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
A year is still a long time to be with someone. Pain and loss are tough for sure.

Life does indeed go on. I remember when Mrs. Chow's dad passed, we were there by his side. He was on life support and we ended up having that stopped. It was really sad. I remember leaving the hospital and going to the grocery store and was feeling angry that everyone was happy. I remember feeling like how dare you. I realized even at the time how irrational that is to think, but something about it just felt like they were being cruel and unsympathetic.

Loss and pain aren't rational I guess.

Life does go on and we have to accept that fact. I always wonder about people's situations, what they are going through etc. People have many challenges in their lives and I think sometimes we forget just how good we might have it. It's always a bad day for someone, somewhere.
You are SO right! Thank you for always being such a cool person Chow

Old 12-14-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You are SO right! Thank you for always being such a cool person Chow
Thanks, same to you. There are a lot of decent posters here. Sometimes over in POC people can get a little heated but I've learned to not argue too much with people. Most of the time no one's winning hearts and minds, although on some occasions I've had a poster point something out and make me shift my thinking on a subject. People sometimes get a little too attached to their views and can't see past that and learn new things, but oh well, what can we do.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:12 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Thanks, same to you. There are a lot of decent posters here. Sometimes over in POC people can get a little heated but I've learned to not argue too much with people. Most of the time no one's winning hearts and minds, although on some occasions I've had a poster point something out and make me shift my thinking on a subject. People sometimes get a little too attached to their views and can't see past that and learn new things, but oh well, what can we do.
Each time I venture over to P&OC, I soon remember why I stopped frequenting that subform. The same handful of posters will perpetuate a thread into 1000s of pages of them repeating the same ridiculous arguments over and over. There is a poster there that has as many posts to their name as I do, but they joined 10 years after me. They have already made up for 10 entire years by repeating the same disparaging crazy-brains garbage all day, every day. It's obvious that they spend all their waking (retirement) hours bickering with strangers on the internet. It's actually pitiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships