Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 09:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Sorry, but the last paragraph makes no sense to me. The so called experts with years of experience don’t even know what the possible side effects are, but you’re willing to make what could possibly be a life altering decision based on the word of a biochemistry “student”.... because he’s a smart kid?
Did he tell you why he’s not taking the vaccine?
I’m not sorry for this rebuttal. I’m just going off of assumption but I’d bet Sonic has fostered enough of a relationship with the young man that she assumes he has nothing but good intentions when he is advising her. Also, an aspiring biochemist would have enough scientific insight to help others make an informed decision on what goes into their body. Also, I’m sure the young man’s opinion is just one variable that would be considered in a vaccine decision.

Myself and most I know who’ve gotten a vaccine didn’t just consider one opinion but several and looked at the available science. People can call me a guinea pig for science if they want. I’ve already been a guinea pig for Covid and watched Covid nearly kill my uncle and aunt and left my best friend with lifelong lung and kidney damage. We don’t have a perfect tool to fight Covid but the vaccine which many reputable scientists have spent hours upon hours of research looking into is the best tool one can use right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:22 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Sorry, but the last paragraph makes no sense to me. The so called experts with years of experience don’t even know what the possible side effects are, but you’re willing to make what could possibly be a life altering decision based on the word of a biochemistry “student”.... because he’s a smart kid?
Did he tell you why he’s not taking the vaccine?
I was already going to get whatever vaccine was offered to me at the first possible opportunity.

Because every real, legit, expert, that I have heard or read, has already been pretty clear about vaccines being the way that humanity gets through this. I do acknowledge a POSSIBILITY that down the line, there could be some kind of effects. But I do not believe it compares to the KNOWN threat of Covid. That was my logic, that was what made up my mind.

It is only coincidence that the vaccine he believes to be the most safe and effective, is the one I got. I'm happy about that. He did seem to know a lot more than I do about the nuts and bolts of the different vaccines. I suspect that a big difference here, is we might both go looking for scientific articles and sources, but he's going to understand a lot more of the jargon than I will. I'll get a decent notion of what's being said, he'll fully comprehend it.

He decided not to get the vaccine because he is young and very fit and not in contact with any old people, and he feels that if, by a combo of vaccination and infection+recovery, the population hits herd immunity, it'll be OK if some people did not get the shot. The point is to diminish the rampant proliferation of the virus through ready hosts, enough to break its epidemic properties. Also, it was late last year, when we were first getting details about the vaccines that would be made available, that he told me this, and even he acknowledged that after some time goes by and more people have received the shot, he might reconsider. But of the two at the time, he felt that there were components of the Moderna shot that were more experimental/unknown, compared to the Pfizer one. I found his perspective interesting, if nothing else.

Without a vaccine, this thing kills millions more people before it eventually peters out. I am neither OK with shrugging and just letting the bodies fall where they may, nor am I good with hunkering down in isolation while it rampages for years to come. I will also be in close contact with my husband's 87 year old Dad later this year, and would rather reduce the odds that it will kill him. I know he won't be around probably a lot longer anyhow, but that doesn't mean that I'm cool with robbing him of whatever time he's got left.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:09 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
Got my first dose yesterday and my mom gets her second next week. I saw what this virus did to my step dad and his brother and it was horrible. His brother will suffer for the rest of his life because of how the virus has ravaged his body. I had it back in December right after my fiancé died and it was PAINFUL. Walking was a challenge because of the lack of airflow.

My mom had some banking business to handle yesterday, legal stuff, and I am part of all of that, plus I take her to her appts. Anyway, her banker told us that a young guy at the branch contracted Covid and he was on oxygen and all of that. He is young and was very healthy prior, with no comorbidities at all and he can now only work a half day and is suffering with lung issues among other things.

This virus is no joke. Please be safe everyone.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Tuesday and yesterday it was over 900 miles of driving. It was a huge loop of the eastern part of the state. Today was shot number 2. Feeling mostly okay. For now. It is rainy and snowy here today.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:12 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Tuesday and yesterday it was over 900 miles of driving. It was a huge loop of the eastern part of the state. Today was shot number 2. Feeling mostly okay. For now. It is rainy and snowy here today.
You need an airplane.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
You need an airplane.
I was thinking that. Then I would have to arrange ground transportation. I doubt my employer would go along with that idea. I went from a newish pickup to a 5 year old Explorer. I have already logged 2,000 miles on the Ford. For the most part I like it.

I hopefully the new car they ordered for me shows up soon.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:20 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
You got your second shot yesterday, how are things the second day out?

Old 04-16-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You got your second shot yesterday, how are things the second day out?
Peachy for me. Arm is a bit sore. Yesterday I felt a bit bleh, but I ate supper and felt better.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:45 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Peachy for me. Arm is a bit sore. Yesterday I felt a bit bleh, but I ate supper and felt better.
That seems to be consensus with a good amount of people from what I'm hearing. The arm is a bit sore with varying levels of feeling blah for a day or two. Not crappy enough to take off work, but enough to be noticeable.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That seems to be consensus with a good amount of people from what I'm hearing. The arm is a bit sore with varying levels of feeling blah for a day or two. Not crappy enough to take off work, but enough to be noticeable.
It worked out well for me. I put some longer hours in earlier this week so I could flex it. Also, I have ample sick leave and vacation leave at my disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships