Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2021, 04:07 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times

Advertisements

OMG I just found one, it's way up in Fort Collins, but it might be worth it. Not only the right trim and color, but it's equipped with an options package that is super nice and it's coming in almost $5k less than what they should be charging for that car, at least a.) according to what I've seen online, and b.) as long as they don't try and pull a switcheroo on the price "whoopsie, that's not the correct price, you can't go by what's on the website..."

Which frankly seems like it should be an illegal case of false advertising, to me, but...whatever.

I emailed them. Just put in a fake phone number. Don't nobody need to get yelled at today lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 04:42 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
OMG I just found one, it's way up in Fort Collins, but it might be worth it. Not only the right trim and color, but it's equipped with an options package that is super nice and it's coming in almost $5k less than what they should be charging for that car, at least a.) according to what I've seen online, and b.) as long as they don't try and pull a switcheroo on the price "whoopsie, that's not the correct price, you can't go by what's on the website..."

Which frankly seems like it should be an illegal case of false advertising, to me, but...whatever.

I emailed them. Just put in a fake phone number. Don't nobody need to get yelled at today lol!
Hopefully it’s not a loss leader... “we had one at that price, but it was sold. Now for a measly 5K more, we can put you in this one”. It’s a gimmick to bring in more customers. They may have one or two at that price ( that have usually gotten sold before you get there.) They will lose a little money on the sale, but will hopefully recoup it when they upsell the next sucker that the “sale” brought in.

Loss leader:
A loss leader (also leader) is a pricing strategy where a product is sold at a price below its market cost to stimulate other sales of more profitable goods or services. With this sales promotion/marketing strategy, a "leader" is any popular article, i.e., sold at a normal price.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Hopefully it’s not a loss leader... “we had one at that price, but it was sold. Now for a measly 5K more, we can put you in this one”. It’s a gimmick to bring in more customers. They may have one or two at that price ( that have usually gotten sold before you get there.) They will lose a little money on the sale, but will hopefully recoup it when they upsell the next sucker that the “sale” brought in.

Loss leader:
A loss leader (also leader) is a pricing strategy where a product is sold at a price below its market cost to stimulate other sales of more profitable goods or services. With this sales promotion/marketing strategy, a "leader" is any popular article, i.e., sold at a normal price.
Yeah, I'm so on the alert for tricks! lol

But no, I just got an email back, and they lowered the price a few hundred more! Cargurus says it's been on the market a few months already, I can't imagine why. It's a pretty hot little number, from where I sit!

They said they would even deliver it to me, if I buy it.

I think I'm gonna buy this thing! I wasn't really planning on doing so until the end of the month, but what the heck, this car is my UNICORN. The only one like it is in Grand Junction (other side of the mountains) and it doesn't have the tech options package and it's priced over $4k more! If they try to pull that "oh, so sorry, it's gone now" at some point, I'll just cut 'em off and buy something local.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm so on the alert for tricks! lol

But no, I just got an email back, and they lowered the price a few hundred more! Cargurus says it's been on the market a few months already, I can't imagine why. It's a pretty hot little number, from where I sit!

They said they would even deliver it to me, if I buy it.

I think I'm gonna buy this thing! I wasn't really planning on doing so until the end of the month, but what the heck, this car is my UNICORN. The only one like it is in Grand Junction (other side of the mountains) and it doesn't have the tech options package and it's priced over $4k more! If they try to pull that "oh, so sorry, it's gone now" at some point, I'll just cut 'em off and buy something local.
I feel ya. I’ve been looking at an airplane (my UNICORN) that I want to buy really bad. Lol I can afford the asking price, but it’s not worth the price being asked. About once a month I check back with the owner’s agent but the owner is holding firm. They really saw him coming and he way overpaid for an airplane that can’t be made airworthy again until it’s been completely overhauled and inspected. (The log books were missing and there was no way to prove that the necessary maintenance had been preformed nor the number of hours on the systems.) Without the log books the only way the plane can be made air worthy again would be to do a complete overhaul and inspection. It would be perfect for me because I want to build it to my specs.. Not good for him because after what he initially paid... the cost to overhaul it would far exceed the planes resale value. According to the man’s agent.. multiple buyers have walked away once they found out that the log books were gone. I am still hopeful lol

Last edited by Sydney123; 04-19-2021 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-19-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I feel ya. I’ve been looking at an airplane (my UNICORN) that I want to buy really bad. Lol I can afford the asking price, but it’s not worth the price being asked. About once a month I check back with the owner’s agent but the owner is holding firm. They really saw him coming and he way overpaid for an airplane that can’t be made airworthy again until it’s been completely overhauled and inspected. (The log books were missing and there was no way to prove that the necessary maintenance had been preformed nor the number of hours on the systems.) Without the log books the only way the plane can be made air worthy again would be to do a complete overhaul and inspection. It would be perfect for me because I want to build it to my specs.. Not good for him because after what he initially paid... the cost to overhaul it would far exceed the planes resale value. According to the man’s agent.. multiple buyers have walked away once they found out that the log books were gone. I am still hopeful lol
I hope that it eventually works out!

My car Unicorn sale has! It's being delivered on Wednesday. I didn't have to go to the dealership or anything.

This thing has the premium sound system, heated and ventilated seats, all sorts of fancy stuff. I've never owned anything like it, I've been driving plain old minivans, no screens, no bells, no whistles, for my entire adult life.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:

My car Unicorn sale has! It's being delivered on Wednesday. I didn't have to go to the dealership or anything.

This thing has the premium sound system, heated and ventilated seats, all sorts of fancy stuff. I've never owned anything like it, I've been driving plain old minivans, no screens, no bells, no whistles, for my entire adult life.

Woohooo! Good for you! I’ve had one brand new car. Right now my transportation is a 1972 Mini Cooper with a Honda engine in it. Lol We have a newer Toyota pick up, but he drives it more than I do. Oh wait.. I have a tractor, quad and a horse....it things go from push to shove. Lol

Old 04-20-2021, 10:50 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Quote:

Good for you! Congrats. Get snow tires next winter!

Old 04-20-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Good for you! Congrats. Get snow tires next winter!
No need for that, I'll be in Arizona next winter! The all seasons should do just fine. No, now I'm gonna have to worry (I guess?) about the extreme heat next summer wrecking my tires. I hear that's a thing?

I'm also concerning myself about how to keep the interior of the car from causing me to need skin grafts in the extreme heat, people tell me "you just get used to it" and I'm like...how...how do you get used to having your flesh burned off from touching a hot steering wheel, gear shift, or seat belt? I'm confused. I've never lived anywhere that got to be 120 degrees hot before. "But it's a dry heat!" Riiiigghhht....

lol

Old 04-20-2021, 10:57 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:

Woot! It sounds like everything was quick and painless. It's bananas how convoluted buying a car is--if you wanted to buy anything else, like new dishwasher, you don't have to jump through nearly as many hoops. You do some research ahead of time, and you just walk in and say, "sell me that one," and it's over.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-20-2021 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Woot! It sounds like everything was quick and painless. It's bananas how convoluted buying a car is--if you wanted to buy anything else, like new dishwasher, you don't have to jump through nearly as many hoops. You just walk in and say, "sell me that one." and it's over.
At the beginning, I gave them a fake phone number, until we were actually closing the deal and they NEEDED my real number. They asked right away if they could call or text and I told them I preferred email, at least initially. Went back and forth a little bit on what incentives and this and that were there...and then she was like, "OK, so you ready to do this?" And I was! It was really easy from there. A few rounds of texts, a phone call, agreeing to a few things, and they'll have papers for me to sign tomorrow on delivery.

I really appreciated the article you shared with me for one big reason. The point about test driving. Do you really need to? Not if you've researched the crap out of your purchase before hand. It's a car. It goes. You'll get used to it. Thinking about the times I've rented cars for a few days or a week when traveling, ya know, for the most part that's absolutely true. And any glaring "OMG no" things should show up eventually in reviews online. I once rented a little Fiat that was awful, it struggled to even get up tiny barely-there hills in central Richmond, VA. Not even like REAL hills. And I once rented a Jeep Liberty and the seats were horribly uncomfortable. But I feel like those things are outliers.

The only little thing I am feeling like I might have "oops"ed and not researched enough, is the panoramic moon roof. I am hearing that they leak sometimes, and that they compromise the structural integrity of the top of your car (?)... But I'm hoping that if it turns out to be leaky, getting such a problem handled should be covered under a warranty and easy for a dealership shop to fix. As for structural integrity...I mean...I kinda feel like if I'm in a situation where that is a problem, then I've got bigger problems. I'll just have to remember not to try and carry heavy stuff on the roof, which I wasn't really planning on doing anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships