Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 01:34 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,315,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
Now if your judging someones personal value by their tat, that's a little judgmental.
Why would you say this??? It's obvious that anyone that would put a tatoo of something specific on their skin WANTS to be judged by it and scream to the world THIS IS WHO I AM!!!

Now I'm being told I'm being judgemental by doing what they're obviously begging for???

THAT seem strange to me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:51 PM

7,396 posts, read 19,367,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Why would you say this??? It's obvious that anyone that would put a tatoo of something specific on their skin WANTS to be judged by it and scream to the world THIS IS WHO I AM!!!

Now I'm being told I'm being judgemental by doing what they're obviously begging for???

THAT seem strange to me....
You're wrong.
I don't want to be judged by my tattoo and no, I'm not screaming to the world and letting them know who I am.
I got a tattoo because I wanted to. It's in good taste and I like art.
I also wear jewelry and makeup. A tattoo is an enhancement, just as some other things are.
Geez, I'm not begging for anything.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,315,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
You're wrong.
I don't want to be judged by my tattoo and no, I'm not screaming to the world and letting them know who I am.
I also wear jewelry and makeup. A tattoo is an enhancement, just as some other things are.
Your wearing a billboard of what kind of art you find appealing then.... I'd remind you that a tattoo is a PERMANENT enhancement, not just some jewelry that you can take off. THAT is where I think the lack of judgement by some comes IMO.

Again, there is a WIDE variety of opinions on this and mine is that some tatoos are very tasteful, so don't immediately assume I'm talking about you... If they're small and don't dominate the appearance of the skin I'm generally okay with it.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,787,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I know a lot of people in their 20's that also don't want to be part of the ink brigade. Plus good tattoos are expensive.
Not necessarily. The quality of the tattoo has to do with the artist. Established tattoo shops "tend" to have better artists...but sometimes it's a crap-shot. My tattoo was only $50 (and is the size of a CD case in diameter...so it's not tiny). I saw a lot of the guy's work, so I went with him. A friend of mine got a tattoo across his chest for $240...and a week later was not satisfied with the results; even less so today.

Tattoo artists are like hair dressers; the most expensive one can be, but are not always "the best".

Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,237,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
You're wrong.
I don't think that VAFury was attacking you personally. Your tattoo being in good taste or bad taste is going to be a subjective opinion and not fact. Are tattoos art? Imo most tattoos aren't art, just like not all artwork is actually art. So someone drew a picture on your skin with ink, but that tattoo artist is not a Monet or Picasso. But maybe you have a lower standard for what you consider "art".

So post up a picture of your tattoo or tattoos. And let's see how tasteful, artistic and unique it really is.

Anyway, most tattoos that I have ever seen are not special looking or particularly artistically rendered. And it's even worse when it's an old tattoo on tired old wrinkly skin. Not only that, I have yet to be truly impressed with the inspiration for any tattoo on a person that I have met. And the guy with the Last Supper on his back gave many people a good laugh when he posted pictures of his body.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,875,438 times
Smile Who knew???

Whoa! I never knew so many people disliked those of us with tattoos! To each his own...you don't have to like what I do. Although the blanket judgements are disturbing. I have a small (like the size of a thumb nail) shooting star on my right shoulder (which I often forget is there until summer when I have a tank top on!) and two hearts intertwined on my left outside ankle (small enough to cover with a standard bandaid). Neither have profound meaning....just signify things I was going through at the time (24 and 25). I don't regret them and thought about where I put them so as I age, they don't droop. And if you met me, you would never believe I was the type to have them! That is the one comment I get most. I am a full time working mom who is involved at my son's school and know tons of kids at the school. Parents trust me to be around their kids. I'm not skanky or white trash or any of the other things that have been said. And you know what else? My husband always said he'd never date anyone with tattoos either. Hates them. But he loves me so it's not an issue. Be careful what you say. It could come back to bite you in the rear!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:34 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,711,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Actually, everyone is judgmental to a certain extent. If we weren't, then we could just grab the first person of the opposite sex that crosses our path and say, "you'll do, come with me".

Whether someone prefers no tattoos, some tattoos, full body armor is a matter of preference. We all have our preferences. Some people only date certain races - are they automatically racists, or do they just prefer the look of a certain race? Some men refuse to date a woman if she wears a size higher than a 4 - isn't he being judgmental too? If a woman refuses to date a man with a comb over or a bald spot, isn't she being shallow and judgmental? These are all physical attributes, and they are ways we limit ourselves from dating the entire pool of singles.

If someone with a tattoo thinks that a person who refuses to date them because of their tattoos is a jerk, would they be any less offended if they were themselves passing up a date with someone because they found them unattractive for whatever subjective reason? If someone wants to say that they do not consider some physical characteristic in the opposite sex a "deal breaker" in their eyes, then they are flat out deluding themselves. Let's all be honest with ourselves here.
Of course we're all somewhat judgmental. But some posters on this thread flat out admitted that they wouldn't even associate with anyone who has a tattoo. That's not being judgmental, that's discrimination.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:42 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,848,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Of course we're all somewhat judgmental. But some posters on this thread flat out admitted that they wouldn't even associate with anyone who has a tattoo. That's not being judgmental, that's discrimination.
It's small minded. Enough said.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,491,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
As far as I know, we are all free to discriminate freely whomever we choose to associate ourselves with. I flat out refuse to associate with convicted felons, for instance. Boo hoo for convicted felons. If someone doesn't want to associate with people who have tattoos, there is no law compelling them to do so. In our over-the-top PC world, the word discrimination seems to have taken on a negative connotation. I have a discriminating palate, for instance, which means I prefer to eat food that tastes good to me. What is so wrong with that???

Old 12-27-2007, 04:06 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,499,223 times
Why would one associate themselves with a convicted felon? They are (were) law breakers. Then again...what were they convicted for? Being a pedophile? Being late on their taxes and not being able to pay them??

I don't mind people saying they wouldn't date a person with tatoos. Or that they think tattoos look ugly on people. In their opinion, it would. But I still stand by what I said in an earlier post of mine about racists. To call people "not classy", or "white trash" (what iabout the black people with tatoos....hmmmmm) or "insecure attention seekers"....to call them names just due to what is on their skin...I feel that you are wrong and are just like the racist people of olden days thinking something about people due to their skin. Not light enough. Not white enough. Not a specific religion. Not artfree.

I probably wouldn't date a man who is all tattooed up like one of the people in a cicus. Only because I don't THINK I would be attracted to someone like that...because I never have been. But I wouldn't dare to assume that he is a piece of trash. Some of the people on these boards (maybe not this post) have proven they might be lacking some class and respect for others...and definitely are seeking attention...and they don't have tatoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships