Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,118,071 times

Advertisements

I actually prefer driving myself to dates. I like being able to leave if I need/want to. Especially if it's someone I don't know very well.

OP, I feel for you. Anxiety is awful and people who've never experienced it don't understand what it's like and how frustrating it is when you know your fears are irrational, but you can't help them. A good therapist might be able to help you. The thing about anxiety is the more you avoid the things that make you anxious the more anxious they make you. For me, I find proving to myself I can do the things that trigger me helps me manage it. I hope you can overcome your fears and find a guy who is supportive of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 AM

11,813 posts, read 12,055,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I actually prefer driving myself to dates. I like being able to leave if I need/want to. Especially if it's someone I don't know very well.

OP, I feel for you. Anxiety is awful and people who've never experienced it don't understand what it's like and how frustrating it is when you know your fears are irrational, but you can't help them. A good therapist might be able to help you. The thing about anxiety is the more you avoid the things that make you anxious the more anxious they make you. For me, I find proving to myself I can do the things that trigger me helps me manage it. I hope you can overcome your fears and find a guy who is supportive of you.
Great advice!

I'm not a professional, but I believe that anxiety is based on things you've built up in your mind, rather than reality.

My mother is a very anxious person, worries constantly, and she can't get control over her thoughts. She believes she can't control them, they just happen, when in reality, she's perhaps just not mentally strong enough to take control of them.

I think if you can face your (self-created) fears, it will empower you and build your strength.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,205,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Great advice!

I'm not a professional, but I believe that anxiety is based on things you've built up in your mind, rather than reality.

My mother is a very anxious person, worries constantly, and she can't get control over her thoughts. She believes she can't control them, they just happen, when in reality, she's perhaps just not mentally strong enough to take control of them.

I think if you can face your (self-created) fears, it will empower you and build your strength.
I don't think it is about being mentally strong enough. First of all, one will never endeavor to TRY that which they believe is impossible. But as one who has long advocating controlling feelings, I think that is the wrong way to see it. I think the important distinction is to recognize them, accept them, and not allow them to hurt you.

Anyone who is interested in peaceful living should do some reading on mindfulness.

S

Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,630,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post

Thanks! I think I just need to take baby steps like driving to a new location each week and going a little farther out each time. I think that I'm stifled more from lack of motivation than the anxiety. I've never had a reason to really want to drive out farther.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Even if he lives somewhat far away? I prefer to only date men who live no more than 30 minutes away because I know I hate driving and I'd feel bad about asking them to drive too far.
You are asking too much.

This is not the 50's. Would he half to open the car door for you too?

Do you offer gas money?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
You are asking too much.

This is not the 50's. Would he half to open the car door for you too?

Do you offer gas money?
No, I don't offer gas money to men who pick me up for dates. Besides, I only like to see guys I'm dating once a week. Is it really that big of a deal to drive 25-30 minutes once a week to see someone you're dating? Maybe I've just been spoiled in the past by the guys who've done it.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
No, I don't offer gas money to men who pick me up for dates. Besides, I only like to see guys I'm dating once a week. Is it really that big of a deal to drive 25-30 minutes once a week to see someone you're dating? Maybe I've just been spoiled in the past by the guys who've done it.
It would be for you. Is what is good for the goose not good for the gander? Seems like it isn't.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It would be for you. Is what is good for the goose not good for the gander? Seems like it isn't.
No, I'm willing to drive 30 minutes depending on whether I'm familiar with the route I'll be taking and these guys don't have driving anxiety so it's not a fair comparison.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,249,761 times
Quote:
No, I'm willing to drive 30 minutes depending on whether I'm familiar with the route I'll be taking and these guys don't have driving anxiety so it's not a fair comparison.
How do you know they don't?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The point is nearly entirely moot. You have so many restrictions and caveats, that you have reduced your pool to nil, likely. I guess that means you get to continue posting here about how un-datable you are! That is always a plus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships