Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 AM

113 posts, read 152,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well, we all have issues. Why do I have to deal with mine before dating?
We don't all have issues that make it difficult to function like a healthy adult in society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Because your issues are a lot bigger than most. You've also said in the past that you can't have sex because of your "condition."

For real? Well shoot, she really can't even date then by any real definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,300,142 times
Quote:
Nothing. I'm just only comfortable with short drives in areas that I know well. Like 10 miles or less.
Then you need to tell him that. He's not your chauffer.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,621,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Seems pretty on topic to me.
Original topic: Picking up your date vs. meeting them somewhere

Current topic: OMG I HAVEZ ANXIETY ABOUT DRIVING OMG OMG! WELL THEN YOU SHOULD GET HELP NO I SHOULDN'T YES YOU SHOULD etc.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,696,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
This was a good thread when it was on-topic. Perhaps we could start a different thread to address someone's anxiety? Maybe in the psych forum?
You're right. I'm very aware that my driving limitations are a problem, but that's not really what I wanted to discuss in this thread.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,300,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
This was a good thread when it was on-topic. Perhaps we could start a different thread to address someone's anxiety? Maybe in the psych forum?
It is on topic because it pertains to the OP and the underlying reason why she's asking if it's unreasonable for the guy to drive 20 miles each way.

14,078 posts, read 16,696,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Then you need to tell him that. He's not your chauffer.
No, he's not. I don't expect him to drive me to and from work. We're talking about going on a date in a location that he suggested.

3,793 posts, read 4,621,656 times
Quote:
You're right. I'm very aware that my driving limitations are a problem, but that's not really what I wanted to discuss in this thread.
Oh. I hadn't noticed that you were the one who started the thread. In that case, perhaps this thread IS about your anxiety.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:55 AM

113 posts, read 152,838 times
Quote:

The great thing about online discussions (and all discussions) is that once they start they take on a life of their own and there is no "ownership" of them.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,249,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right--does this mean you don't travel? That might be a dealbreaker in itself.
I think the forest is being missed for the trees. Forget the 10 mile radius. Let us assume that there is someone who is either physically within that area or does not mind driving to her location. I have a family who has anxiety. He cannot

go to the store to get his wife a card or flowers
do the grocery shopping
make any kind of compromise or problem solution with his wife
be home alone
go out with the family

The list is endless.

ALL of these things require accommodation. The more accommodation and avoidance, the more the anxiety grows, increasing the list of things that he cannot do until it is just the wife who does everything that is not his work responsibility. This seems to be the nature of anxiety.

It is not a healthy relationship, or at least not one that I would want to be a part of. That is going to limit the options for the OP as it relates to finding someone who is going to be willing to even do a relationship like that, forget about the resentment and the like that is formed over the years if you manage to even acquire a relationship.

And even let's forget relationships. Does anyone argue that a person's growth and self love is not severely limited by the limitations that they allow themselves?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,249,546 times
Quote:
Well, I think arguments about what is reasonable or unreasonable about what to expect from other people are largely useless. I think what you get from this thread is that some people would do that and some won't. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships