Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:36 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,704,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Statistically it's true that the youth trend towards liberalism and the older you get you trend towards conservatism, at least it used to be.... I haven't looked at numbers in a long time.

I forget who said it, and I'm probably butchering " If you aren't liberal in your youth, you have no heart; and if your not conservative in your older years, you have no head."

Before I go too far off subject, generalities are fine, helpful and accurate guidelines, until you insist on applying them to individuals.

But Chow is NOT applying what he was saying to individuals, it was just a shorthand way to get his message across. I'm really surprised at the backlash here.

I can trend very feminine... cry at commercials/movies, love to shop, cook, nest.... but no one is trying to put me in a box with that label, because it wouldn't work.

You can celebrate the differences without subjugating them to a life of the stereotype.
There is no backlash I think people are just disagreeing and explaining why. It is not a backlash its more of a "yeah well no or kind of" responses.

I just don't get why we should celebrate generalities that is all they are generalities and are mostly arbitrary and subjective.

Like in your example you put cooking as feminine which to most of society it is but mostly all famous chefs are men and other stuff like that.

I got nothing against what chow said I just think the the "celebrate men and women differences" thing is paradoxical and almost an oxymoronish in my view. I just say viva la differences and when you try to make a men and women thing it muddles it up IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 05:10 PM

52,730 posts, read 53,284,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Statistically it's true that the youth trend towards liberalism and the older you get you trend towards conservatism, at least it used to be.... I haven't looked at numbers in a long time.

I forget who said it, and I'm probably butchering " If you aren't liberal in your youth, you have no heart; and if your not conservative in your older years, you have no head."

Before I go too far off subject, generalities are fine, helpful and accurate guidelines, until you insist on applying them to individuals.

But Chow is NOT applying what he was saying to individuals, it was just a shorthand way to get his message across. I'm really surprised at the backlash here.

I can trend very feminine... cry at commercials/movies, love to shop, cook, nest.... but no one is trying to put me in a box with that label, because it wouldn't work.

You can celebrate the differences without subjugating them to a life of the stereotype.
I'm really surprised at the backlash as well......

LOL, all my intent was in the OP was that, as I've stated before, very loosely, in general, there are some differences between the sexes and instead of getting nasty about them simply accept and possibly appreciate or at least not complain about the differences...

Look.... in general women like to shop more than men, right?
In general men like hot rods and fast cars.
In general women have a tendency to show emotions quicker than men.
In general men have a tendency to be emotionally more distant.
In general men tend to build things, such as cabinets etc etc.
In general women tend to nurture more than men.
In general women seem to appreciate interior design or things of that nature.
In general men commit more violent crimes than women do.
In general men do.........
In general women do......

Are these static? of course not, there is overlap and people are different and no one thing applies to all men or women.

I was simply just trying to start a good hearted thread about appreciating the opposite sex.

Man oh man.... I should have known what shytstorm I'd start. I figured a lighthearted convo would ensure, but like usual all the baggage and crap people carry around them seems to color their perceptions.

A few people were picking up what I was throwing down and to them, thanks for reading.

PS... my 'baggage' rant only applies to people, in general.....

Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 PM

102,563 posts, read 109,367,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I can't agree with this. Men are very quick to show emotion. Men tend to be quick to show anger. (Not all men, but generally as a group), while women are quick to show distress. Sometimes women's anger manifests as tears, as well. For some reason when we think of "showing emotion", we only think of women's emotions. I'm not sure why that is. But if men didn't show emotion, the prisons wouldn't be overcrowded with murderers and batterers. Don't kid yourself; men are highly emotional creatures.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can't agree with this. Men are very quick to show emotion. Men tend to be quick to show anger. (Not all men, but generally as a group), while women are quick to show distress. Sometimes women's anger manifests as tears, as well. For some reason when we think of "showing emotion", we only think of women's emotions. I'm not sure why that is. But if men didn't show emotion, the prisons wouldn't be overcrowded with murderers and batterers. Don't kid yourself; men are highly emotional creatures.
You completely missed my last point.

Did you read the parts where I pointed out in general about 18 times bolded???

Old 12-10-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
You completely missed my last point.

Did you read the parts where I pointed out in general about 18 times bolded???
Yes, I'm taking issue with the "in general" part. Women aren't the only emotional ones. In general, men are, too. But they differ in the type of emotion each commonly shows. I'd say that they're both equally emotional, though.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, I'm taking issue with the "in general" part. Women aren't the only emotional ones. In general, men are, too. But they differ in the type of emotion each commonly shows. I'd say that they're both equally emotional, though.
Yes, Ruth.... men show emotions too....., and yes, typically it's rage first..., I apologize that I worded than one incorrectly....

In general cats are more aloof than dogs.

I wonder if that is going to cause an issue for someone.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, Ruth.... men show emotions too....., and yes, typically it's rage first..., I apologize that I worded than one incorrectly....

In general cats are more aloof than dogs.

I wonder if that is going to cause an issue for someone.
Sorry for discussing your...er...discussion topic.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:15 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,109,446 times
Read lots of angry regulars on this topic.

Don't know why. Seemed like a good thread in the beginning to me.

Too much fighting IMO.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,453,621 times
Quote:
I'm really surprised at the backlash as well......

LOL, all my intent was in the OP was that, as I've stated before, very loosely, in general, there are some differences between the sexes and instead of getting nasty about them simply accept and possibly appreciate or at least not complain about the differences...

Look.... in general women like to shop more than men, right?
In general men like hot rods and fast cars.
In general men have a tendency to be emotionally more distant.
In general men tend to build things, such as cabinets etc etc.
In general women tend to nurture more than men.
In general women seem to appreciate interior design or things of that nature.
In general men commit more violent crimes than women do.
In general men do.........
In general women do......

Are these static? of course not, there is overlap and people are different and no one thing applies to all men or women. I was simply just trying to start a good hearted thread about appreciating the opposite sex. Man oh man.... I should have known what shytstorm I'd start. I figured a lighthearted convo would ensure, but like usual all the baggage and crap people carry around them seems to color their perceptions. A few people were picking up what I was throwing down and to them, thanks for reading.

PS... my 'baggage' rant only applies to people, in general.....
I get it that you are not being absolute. In general, I find also myself having to explain my point all over again as well because generally, people dont hear what you actually say as clearly as the voice inside their head that is intent on refuting or diffusing your point. Generally speaking, hearing, or in this case, comprehension, becomes selective.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 PM

328 posts, read 468,391 times
Rage is manly. Crying is B-made. Blowing ish up is cool. Throwing a fit in the bedroom is 'gay'. Fishing is for men, Knitting is for women. Tools are for men. Lotion is for women. Women will fall apart if things don't flow their way. Men handle ish all tough like...except the gay ones of course. They be B-made like us B's.

Don't be a chick that has rage. You're bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships