Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,818,046 times

Advertisements

All the people complaining about single moms on welfare... you do realize there is a father who isn't supporting his children, right? Storks aren't just delivering these babies to women magically like Santa Claus... it takes two and I think both are equally to blame for whatever tax implications there are for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,650,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Depends on your part of the country, I have fed a family on 4 for less than $35k a few years ago ironically when I was in college, it is not fun, and there was not much extra money to do enjoyable things, but that is well above the poverty level throughout much of the country, and is doable.

My wife also did not work for the 1st 11 years we were together, we have a special needs daughter, and just when she was in school full time we had my son, so I sometimes worked 2 jobs, often worked more then 60 hours a week, and we managed to have a pretty good lifestyle for most of those years.
I feel like i am living in poverty by the time i pay all my bills and pay for college out of pocket (1,200) every 12 weeks .

I am going back to college and this time i am giving it all that i got . I am doing for me and my kids i do not have yet. I want a better family life then i had growing up . Dad worked 80+ hours a week never home kind of thing. Also did not do anything as a family hardly ever .I just want to be able to be there to see all my kids games and after school activity's. I want to take a vacation out of the country at least a few times and not talking about Mexico or Canada. Want to have time to take the wife out on a date at least once a week it can be are time .

Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM

36,794 posts, read 31,037,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
All the people complaining about single moms on welfare... you do realize there is a father who isn't supporting his children, right? Storks aren't just delivering these babies to women magically like Santa Claus... it takes two and I think both are equally to blame for whatever tax implications there are for the rest of us.
To be fair some of these single moms on welfare are getting child support and still qualify for assistance because they don't work or they make very little.

My kids father died when they were young. I was never on assistance and work my butt off. Thankfully I had a small insurance policy that helped out a little. Now if I and these other single mothers had actually demanded a man that was financially stable we wouldn't have to be in such a tough spot when we are left holding the bag because they would have provided sufficient life insurance/savings/child support so their families wouldn't be faced with poverty.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,818,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
To be fair some of these single moms on welfare are getting child support and still qualify for assistance because they don't work or they make very little.

My kids father died when they were young. I was never on assistance and work my butt off. Thankfully I had a small insurance policy that helped out a little. Now if I and these other single mothers had actually demanded a man that was financially stable we wouldn't have to be in such a tough spot when we are left holding the bag because they would have provided sufficient life insurance/savings/child support so their families wouldn't be faced with poverty.
Of course they are... I have no argument with that. Especially your last sentence!

I just kind of get fed up with the "single moms" are to blame attitude when someone abuses the welfare system (on purpose or though irresponsibility) when there is a single father out who is also responsible because he's not supporting the child he helped create. People often forget that part of it.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM

32,715 posts, read 48,302,291 times
Quote:
All the people complaining about single moms on welfare... you do realize there is a father who isn't supporting his children, right? ...............
Absolutely. When they make me dictator of the entire known universe, when a man has 3 children with 3 different mothers living on welfare, I will have him castrated.

I figure that will make the welfare baby daddies be a little more responsible about their birth control methods.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,650,037 times
Quote:
Of course they are... I have no argument with that. Especially your last sentence!

I just kind of get fed up with the "single moms" are to blame attitude when someone abuses the welfare system (on purpose or though irresponsibility) when there is a single father out who is also responsible because he's not supporting the child he helped create. People often forget that part of it.

well in this case your wrong ..............................

A 33-year-old Knoxville, Tenn. man with 30 children appeared in court this week to ask the state for child-support help, Memphis news station WREG reported Wednesday.
Desmond Hatchett has fathered 30 children -- which is believed to be the record in Knox county, according to the Los Angeles Times -- with 11 different women. His youngest children are toddlers and his oldest is 14.
Hatchett reportedly asked the court to give him a break on his payments, claiming that he's struggling to make ends meet with his minimum-wage job. Currently, the state requires him to divide 50 percent of his earnings among the 11 women, some of whom receive as little as $1.49 a month, WREG reports.

At some point it is on the woman if a guy has that many kids would a light go off in your head and say this man is a loser?

A lot of the time woman pick losers and keep on picking losers .Sure it the guys fault as well but if it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck it a duck.

Desmond Hatchett: Man With 30 Kids Requests Child-Support Break

Don't woman talk to one another any more? I thought you looked out for one another? If woman just picked better men the odds of a man sticking around might be better.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:42 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,760,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I feel like i am living in poverty by the time i pay all my bills and pay for college out of pocket (1,200) every 12 weeks .

I am going back to college and this time i am giving it all that i got . I am doing for me and my kids i do not have yet. I want a better family life then i had growing up . Dad worked 80+ hours a week never home kind of thing. Also did not do anything as a family hardly ever .I just want to be able to be there to see all my kids games and after school activity's. I want to take a vacation out of the country at least a few times and not talking about Mexico or Canada. Want to have time to take the wife out on a date at least once a week it can be are time .
Sure we all want better lives for our children than what we had when growing up, but $35,000 a year is actually right about the median wage in the United States, so it is not like you are broke. I bet if you took a realistic look at things you would find you are wasting a ton of money, many people do not think about the money they spend on going out a couple of times a week, buying coffee a couple of times a day, or going out for lunch or dinner all the time. I fed my kids on about $350-400 a month, and got them good healthy food, most spend that on coffee every month, or they buy a new outfit every month. I took my own lunch to work and do not drink coffee, I did not buy new clothes at all for a couple of years only the kids new school clothes and shoes, I sold the car with the high payments and paid cash for cars, sometimes I even walked, but I did it.

Of course I live much better now, but I know that it can be done, and I know people who have done it long term, but it is not a fun lifestyle, and I personally do not blame anybody for not wanting to live like that.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,760,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
well in this case your wrong ..............................

A 33-year-old Knoxville, Tenn. man with 30 children appeared in court this week to ask the state for child-support help, Memphis news station WREG reported Wednesday.
Desmond Hatchett has fathered 30 children -- which is believed to be the record in Knox county, according to the Los Angeles Times -- with 11 different women. His youngest children are toddlers and his oldest is 14.
Hatchett reportedly asked the court to give him a break on his payments, claiming that he's struggling to make ends meet with his minimum-wage job. Currently, the state requires him to divide 50 percent of his earnings among the 11 women, some of whom receive as little as $1.49 a month, WREG reports.

At some point it is on the woman if a guy has that many kids would a light go off in your head and say this man is a loser?

A lot of the time woman pick losers and keep on picking losers .Sure it the guys fault as well but if it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck it a duck.

Desmond Hatchett: Man With 30 Kids Requests Child-Support Break

Don't woman talk to one another any more? I thought you looked out for one another? If woman just picked better men the odds of a man sticking around might be better.
The worst part of this story is that most of the women had multiple kids with him, that is just stupid. In my family most of us ended up married due to someone getting pregnant in a dating or one night stand situation and we were taught to try your best to make the relationship work. But I do know that one night stands, or even having sex 1 time without protection can lead directly to a pregnancy. So that happens, but to have multiple kids with a guy who already has kids he cannot support is just stupidity.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,221,421 times
Quote:

I think this misses the real point. Regardless of whether the parents are dbs, there are real live human children in need of support.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,387,768 times
A womans income is not that important to me. I would be haoly if my gf ever made 1/3 of what I make. She has many qualitied I lack and excels in many qualities other women I have dated have lacked.

Studies have shown the average millionaire claims a "supportive spouse" has been one of the leading factors of their success. I don't think that supportive refers to financial.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships