Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:58 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,160 times

Advertisements

So there is this man I have recently met he is 36 (I'm 28)and he has 1 child who is 5 and possibly another child who is 1 but is waiting for the DNA test results. He works 2 full time jobs, has told me his credit score and it's bad. He drives a 97 Buick and he was telling me how he really wants a Maxima and I said well why don't you buy a used one. He says he hates car payments and can't afford to pay $550 a month for his rent and $300 a month for a car payment. It just really bothers me that he is 36 going on 37 and doesn't have a real job and never has. He says he has a degree in therapeutic science (whatever that is) he didn't really elaborate. He was talking about quitting one of his jobs and I was thinking can he really do that? Especially since that child is more than likely his. I have no idea how much he is forking over in child support payments already. Then he was saying if he ever gets married he wants to have 1 or 2 more kids and I'm thinking nope. Kids are already so expensive. He doesn't have custody of the 5 year old, but he has visitation rights and sees her twice a month. He said he doesn't have any baby mama drama. That they are civil to each other.

I'm used to dating men with good salaries and I'm not used to dating men with kids. I really like this guy, but I'm having second thoughts about him. I'm not a gold digger by any means. I have never asked a guy to buy me anything or pay for anything. I'm in school right now and will be do e after next year and I wait tables part time. I'm wondering if I'm being a ***** about this or if my concerns are genuine. People say money doesn't matter when it comes to relationships, but it kind of does. Couples break up or divorce over money issues all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Old 09-19-2013, 06:04 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
So there is this man I have recently met he is 36 (I'm 28)and he has 1 child who is 5 and possibly another child who is 1 but is waiting for the DNA test results. He works 2 full time jobs, has told me his credit score and it's bad. He drives a 97 Buick and he was telling me how he really wants a Maxima and I said well why don't you buy a used one. He says he hates car payments and can't afford to pay $550 a month for his rent and $300 a month for a car payment.
This guy clearly needs to figure out some serious issues before getting involved with someone. Like the poster said above....RUN.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Not wanting to sign up for something that sounds like the plot of a Maury Povich episode does not make you a gold digger.

It means you have good sense.

I agree with Jet Jockey. Run!

Old 09-19-2013, 06:33 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,569 times
How would he even have time for you while working 80 hours a week with 2 kids? I also don't get why a man you recently met would tell you all these personal financial details.

If he's trying to better his situation out might be worth a shot, but it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:43 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,160 times
Well the kids don't live with him and yeah he works 72 hours a week. Thanks you all.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
LOL! I don't want a car payment/rent, so I drive an old used car I paid cash for a long time ago! And I make a good salary with no children....

in his scenario, though, it may not be affordable for him to have a car note and rent, since he is hopefully paying child support for his children.

Also, what is a "real job"? As long as he is working and making money, seems real to me.

Like one poster said, if he is working on rectifying these situations, it might be worth a shot. But if he wants kids and you don't, then I'd probably not proceed any further and it has nothing to do with those other issues.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
LOL! I don't want a car payment/rent, so I drive an old used car I paid cash for a long time ago! And I make a good salary with no children....

in his scenario, though, it may not be affordable for him to have a car note and rent, since he is hopefully paying child support for his children.

Also, what is a "real job"? As long as he is working and making money, seems real to me.

Like one poster said, if he is working on rectifying these situations, it might be worth a shot. But if he wants kids and you don't, then I'd probably not proceed any further and it has nothing to do with those other issues.
Not wanting a car payment isn't the issue. Hell I will be ecstatic when my car is paid off next year. And my payment was only $266 because I put so much down on it. I despise car payments. But the guy has one kid, plus apparently another that he just found out about, has a terrible financial history, and is already working TWO full-time jobs to pay his bills. He needs to get his sh^t straight. No one is their right mind would want to get involved with someone like that.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
He must be good looking.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
So there is this man I have recently met he is 36 (I'm 28)and he has 1 child who is 5 and possibly another child who is 1 but is waiting for the DNA test results. He works 2 full time jobs, has told me his credit score and it's bad. He drives a 97 Buick and he was telling me how he really wants a Maxima and I said well why don't you buy a used one. He says he hates car payments and can't afford to pay $550 a month for his rent and $300 a month for a car payment. It just really bothers me that he is 36 going on 37 and doesn't have a real job and never has. He says he has a degree in therapeutic science (whatever that is) he didn't really elaborate. He was talking about quitting one of his jobs and I was thinking can he really do that? Especially since that child is more than likely his. I have no idea how much he is forking over in child support payments already. Then he was saying if he ever gets married he wants to have 1 or 2 more kids and I'm thinking nope. Kids are already so expensive. He doesn't have custody of the 5 year old, but he has visitation rights and sees her twice a month. He said he doesn't have any baby mama drama. That they are civil to each other.

I'm used to dating men with good salaries and I'm not used to dating men with kids. I really like this guy, but I'm having second thoughts about him. I'm not a gold digger by any means. I have never asked a guy to buy me anything or pay for anything. I'm in school right now and will be do e after next year and I wait tables part time. I'm wondering if I'm being a ***** about this or if my concerns are genuine. People say money doesn't matter when it comes to relationships, but it kind of does. Couples break up or divorce over money issues all the time.
The guy works 72 hours a week and can't afford to pay his rent plus a car payment? Why is the assumption $300? He can get a used car in better shape for less than that if driving a safe vehicle is his priority. Where is all his money going to? There's no mention of debt--only that his score is bad. Is he paying child support for the 5 year old?

I don't think you're being a b*tch or a golddigger. I think you're being smart by not getting involved until he gets his life on track. He sees his daughter twice a month? I assume it's because he works long hours? How can he make time for you? I totally agree with you--money kind of does matter in relationships. He can't afford to be in one (financially or time-wise) and it wouldn't be fair for you to pay for things all the time. Staying in and doing things is nice but you can't do that all the time.

Also, don't set yourself up to be a bank. You don't want him to start asking you for money, especially if he's considering quitting one of his jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships