Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times

Advertisements

I found that many engineers can't spell. That's why they invented the computer with spell check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 09:23 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
People use spelling and grammar to judge a person's intelligence, yet language is a very flexible and fluid thing. Using something as petty as spelling and grammar to judge a person's intelligence is just as prejudiced as using someone's skin color, religion or sporting team preference.

So, if you're a grammar or spelling nazi, just get over it and find something else to obsess over.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 AM

752 posts, read 1,165,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yeah it's a turn off to me. Makes the chick sounded stupid. I have a female friend who spelled "taught" as "tot". I had to re-read the message like 14 times until I finally got it because I don't pronounce it as "tot", I pronounce it as "tawt".
Exactly "Tot" is how I would spell that English word if I wouldn't be so good speller as I'm.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,476,314 times
This would certainly raise a cautionary flag. If English isn't her first language, it's understandable (though I know some immigrants who speak and write far better than the vast majority of native speakers). If there are just a few common errors, it won't bother me much, but if it's a sign of an intellectual deficit, I will lose all interest.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
it depends on how many errors on in the message.

If there's more than 2, I'm going to assume you are from Africa trying to scam me, and since there are scammers on dating sites, I'm not going to take the risk.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 AM

13,662 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Though I'm tolerant of typos or gaffes, clear deficiencies of command of the English language are worrisome and in my view unattractive (this obviously applies to English-speaking nations, which nominally includes the US). Poor spelling is one factor; another is a general dearth of vocabulary and inability (or unwillingness) to construct clear, logical sentences.

This may tend towards superficial judgment, but it's not a prejudice because one has already sampled the person's behavior, instead of judging them on appearance, hearsay or group membership.

I'm appalled by the decline of standards in writing and speaking, not merely in the context of dating, but in general. And I say this as an engineer and as a person for whom English is a second language.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,534,870 times
Its a huge no-no in my book. I usually go out with very smart people and im a sucker for writers or intelectuals so this never happened to me, but i have friends that have recieved some texts that would inmediatly make me break up with someone

Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,813,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Its a huge no-no in my book. I usually go out with very smart people and im a sucker for writers or intelectuals so this never happened to me, but i have friends that have recieved some texts that would inmediatly make me break up with someone
You'd hate my text messages. Or rather: ud h8 my txtz

Old 05-27-2013, 11:01 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,534,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
You'd hate my text messages. Or rather: ud h8 my txtz
lol

Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,154,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
So I have noticed a trend among women who do NOT spell badly - well, they are turned off by men who spell badly*. I am wondering now if men who do NOT spell badly are turned off by women who spell badly?

Thanks in advance for your answers, guys!

*Assuming the language they are writing is their native language.
For me personally, the answer is no. I didn't always spell good/ have good grammar. Heck, my grammar still might not be as good as I might think now. However, it's too hard to judge someone as a "whole" just by what type of grammar they possess. I would be the one assuming and drawing up far too many conclusions of who someone might be. I would most likely be wrong. Plus, I personally have a bachelor's degree. I was in my third comp. class in English when I was told by my professor that I had awful grammar. Some girl showed me some simple rules that really helped to make a big difference in how I wrote. Then I learned a few more rules along the way. Yes, the things they teach you in grade school. But I was a day dreamer in elementary school and always did just enough to get by. Grades didn't begin to get to important until high school or college. So, no I wouldn't judge anybody by how they write. Doesn't mean much to me and I have not walked in their footsteps so I have no idea of where their coming from. I judge people by what they say, not how they say it. If that makes any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships