Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,225,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
You KNOW that's a lie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Actually it isn't a lie at all. I have personally known quite a number of couples who had the man push for marriage and the woman not overly concerned with it.

What's with all the sweeping generalisations?
Add me to that list. My husband asked me to marry him within months of our becoming exclusive. It took a number of years to get me down the aisle. It's been a mixed bag among my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Oh I thought you were american. well even so, just b/c some of us don't do things the way you do in your country doesn't make us "prudish and backwards." The opposite would be like me saying people in your country are "loose and mixed up."
Americans are known worldwide for their Victorian attitudes about sex and relationships. It's not just me making these observations. I prefer to view these things in a liberal manner because I am a liberal kind of woman who sees the world in shades of colours, not just black and white.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,749,561 times
Quote:
Americans are known worldwide for their Victorian attitudes about sex and relationships. It's not just me making these observations. I prefer to view these things in a liberal manner because I am a liberal kind of woman who sees the world in shades of colours, not just black and white.

That's funny b/c everywhere I look people here are engaging in ONS and FWB, cohabitating left and right. I think it's a bunch of nonsense and partially the reason why they have half the problems in relationships that they do -- but at the end of the day, it's their buisness and I can't control what they do. Oh well. You uses a lot of loaded words that most people wouldn't want to be associated with like 'Victorian attitudes' 'prudish' etc. to explain some people's choices. I'm not going to be guilt tripped into feeling bad about having some kind of standards for myself. But you describes yourself and your views as 'liberal' with a positive meaning because you don't care about cheating and would stay in a relationships without a ring, etc. I see this for what it is.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
It's true. We seem to a weird combination of in your face sexuality (media, music), and puritanical views.

If you watch our politicians and everything they're being caught at.... I think you can see the result of conflicting views.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,213,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Men invented marriage.
In a matriarchal society? Okay, whatever.

Questioning...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Let's be honest here, women who want to get married who date men that dont (or say they aren't sure) are just as at fault as the men.

It's up to you to set parameters from the get-go. If its not going in the direction you want it to then it's your responsibility to leave. I dont know why people wait around for things to happen instead of making them happen.
Exactly.

I don't understand why someone would be stupid enough to enter into a committed relationship without knowing the outcome of that commitment in advance. That's something that ought to be discussed in depth beforehand.

There's only two reasons to commit, and that is to get married (it is effectively a "pre-engagement") or to have sex-on-a-regular-basis and share expenses indefinitely.

Committing...

Mircea

Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,178,431 times
Directed towards the OP
I am divorced and my ex husband proposed 2 months after we started dating and told me he loved me 2 weeks after we were dating! He even asked my dad for my hand! We stayed married for 10 years.
Hindsight 20/20? I would have wanted us to date for 3 years and then get engaged and get married after 5 years of being together.
AND even then? It is not a fail safe!
But I feel if you have been in a relationship with someone for 5 years? Have been through some stuff together, have seen each other in the morning, know each other’s families, values and ethics? Nothing hidden, no agenda? Then it is okay to make the plunge.
You are NOW just making official of what the two of you have worked towards since day one up until now.
I do not believe in fast weddings, I was 21 when I got married and I wish I would have waited longer!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 AM

124 posts, read 213,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?
Exactly. No body's gonna drag me along for years (plural).

Some people don't mind living like Oprah and Steadman: Living together for over 10 years with no intention of getting married. But I just can't help but to feel that it's a waste of time to do that.

That's just me...

Old 05-24-2012, 04:51 AM
miu

17,771 posts, read 40,227,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Men invented marriage.
Societies did that in order to keep the bloodlines pure and unquestioned. Men only wanted to raise sons that they knew they sired and for those sons to carry on the family name.

Quote:
And brace yourself for this one.....

The also invented fairy tales. (they're all originally written by men)
Well... not really. Fairy tales were first only an oral art. In other words, they were shared by word of mouth, verbally only. If you are thinking of the Brothers Grimm, their contribution was writing down what already existed.

And only recently, fairy tales were all sugar and spice once Disney got a hold of them. The Grimm fairy tales are actually rather grim and scary in tone. More like cautionary tales for the young. Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales usually had very tragic endings (The Matchstick Girl, The Little Mermaid).

Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,416,099 times
I gave him a year and a half and he was a good boy

Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,472,573 times
i would never ask any women to marry me without first actively living with her for at LEAST 3 years
i don't believe you can know another person well enough in a few short months to ask them to commit to a marriage.

i also dont see marriage as a "tool" or something you need to have in a relationship in order to cement its seriousness and show your intentions. that should already be happening with or without a ring in the mix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships