Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Someone told me recently, when I said that very thing, about men proposing in order to "not lose" someone-
he said "That's the reason men propose!!"
It was so simple, but very true.
A man who proposes at any time does it for that reason. In other words, why else does a man propose? (disbarring an unexpected pregnancy)

Generalise much ? Hubby was the one who wanted to get married ( no pregrancy on the horizon) and is the one still pestering me to chose an engagement ring which I have refused for 4 years... ( we have been married for two now and he still wants me to get that ring).

He wasn't about to lose me so gee I wonder why he proposed ?!?!

Some men seem to care more about marriage than some women. To me it still is only a piece of paper. It matters to him more. He wears a Wedding ring because he wants to. I don't. And we have lived together since 1988. Two months after we met we had shacked up together and were deeply committed to each other and I have always considered myself married since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Time doesnt matter. If the guy has money, she will stay.
That is incredibly offensive as well as a sweeping generalisation. I left a fortune behind me so I could be who I wanted to be and chose the man I wanted to be with. And would do it all over again in a nano second.

Hubby has a middling income and I come from wealth. Money never even crossed my mind when deciding to be in a relationship with someone.

Not all women are rapacious, venal creatures intent on getting their claws into a guy's bank account. Some of us are even quite nice and are not quite as shallow and vapid as you paint the female sex.

You obviously have a very skewed view of women.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
Quote:
Someone told me recently, when I said that very thing, about men proposing in order to "not lose" someone-
A man who proposes at any time does it for that reason. In other words, why else does a man propose? (disbarring an unexpected pregnancy)
LOVE!

I proposed because i was in love and could never conceive of my life being anywhere near as good without her as it was with her, because i wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. Not to 'tag' her, how stupid would you have to be to do that? Being engaged doesn't stop someone from leaving you and being married certainly doesn't.

Jeeeezus...

Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Generalise much ? Hubby was the one who wanted to get married ( no pregrancy on the horizon) and is the one still pestering me to chose an engagement ring which I have refused for 4 years... ( we have been married for two now and he still wants me to get that ring).

Some men seem to care more about marriage than some women. To me it still is only a piece of paper. It matters to him more. He wears a Wedding ring because he wants to. I don't. And we have lived together since 1988. Two months after we met we had shacked up together and were deeply committed to each other and I have always considered myself married since.
^^^ I agree. The very morning after my bf and I made love, he announced that he loved me. I was in shock and there was a long awkward pause. lol However, right away, my bf felt very strongly that I was his "one", and eight years later, he still does. Also, about a month after he moved in with me, he announced that he put me in his will as his sole beneficiary (he has a small trust fund).

My bf is willing to marry me anytime I want to. Neither of us have or ever wanted to have children. He just wants to spend the rest of his life with me. I was married about 20 years ago for two years, and for me, I see no need to get married again.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
Quote:

Theres a lot of truth to this, many men propose to simply "lock down" that one particular women for one of 2 reasons

A. He's scared she'll find something better
B. he realizes VERY quickly that's the best he can ever do

You see this a lot with men who propose 18-24

Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

You KNOW that's a lie

Old 05-22-2012, 06:26 AM

12 posts, read 12,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
You KNOW that's a lie
Actually, it isn't a lie. Look up the word "some" for clarification. I'm in a relationship where the male was pushing for marriage, not the female.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
You KNOW that's a lie
Actually NO, I do not know any such thing.

I know at least three couples where the man wanted to get married and she wasn't bothered. Times are changing, many women see marriage as either irrelevant or a restriction on their lifestyle.

And for many women who are desperate to get married, they have simply been sold on the social expectations and hype which our society is still trying to push. This illusion of "security" and legal " commitment".

But these days fortunately things are changing, women are more independent and there is no stigma attached to cohabiting.

I know dozens of couples happily commited to one another with kids who have no intention of ever getting married. And the world still goes round and life carries on...

The world is moving on thank goodness and plenty of us Ladies really do not give a Baboon's derriere about a ring, or a piece of paper.

I knew my boyfriend loved me and was committed to me long before he became my husband. Our relationship has not changed or improved because of a piece of paper. We loved each other then and we still do.

If people in long term relationships were given exactly the same rights as married couples ( financial and legal) I suspect marriage would decline even faster.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Many mature adult men do want marriage. And as for the men on this board who disagree with this statement do a grave disservice to their own sex. Are you thinking that men aren't able to truly fall in real and lasting love? Do you really think your own sex that shallow and only interested in women for sexual pleasure?

I do know many (young) men that do look forward to marriage and children. They want to find that special woman to spend the rest of their life with, building a home and raising children together. And having children within a marriage is because they want their children to have their name and to carry on their family lineage and traditions... things that they are proud of being part of.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Men invented marriage.

And brace yourself for this one.....

The also invented fairy tales. (they're all originally written by men)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships