Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,464 times

Advertisements

Not a day. Ring first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
You KNOW that's a lie
Actually it isn't a lie at all. I have personally known quite a number of couples who had the man push for marriage and the woman not overly concerned with it.

What's with all the sweeping generalisations?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Actually it isn't a lie at all. I have personally known quite a number of couples who had the man push for marriage and the woman not overly concerned with it.

What's with all the sweeping generalisations?
yea but djuna, this is not common at all, from waht I know. it's usually other way around because of woman do not mention marriage mostly the males are not concerned with it. why buy cow, when they can get milk for free?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
yea but djuna, this is not common at all, from waht I know. it's usually other way around because of woman do not mention marriage mostly the males are not concerned with it. why buy cow, when they can get milk for free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
You KNOW that's a lie

It's funny, because my friends seem to be from both extremes. I have a few girlfriends who are future bridezillas and are basically forcing their boyfriends to marry them, and I have guy friends who hop from woman to woman never using the dreaded g-word. I actually had a male friend who had at least 4 fiances because he said 'they don't cheat if there's a ring on the finger' and would break off the 'wedding' when he got bored.

On the other hand, one of my best friends got married last summer and it took her husband proposing at least once a month for nearly 3 years before she finally agreed. He planned the entire wedding, and he was the one crying during the ceremony while she just went with it all. Another good friend of mine proposed to his girlfriend on their second date and is completely obsessed with marrying her and she really could care less if and when it happens.

So, everyone is different, and every couple goes about things differently.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I am not American. In NZ we have different expectations and a totally different dating culture.

In my circle of friends from the ages of 20-35ish no-one was married. Everyone lived together. It was perfectly normal and socially acceptable. The US has prudish and backwards ideas about these things in my opinion.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of posts from women who have already been married before. What about women in their 20's who have never been married. Would they still be willing to play house?
I would NEVER play house. If I'm not married I refuse to move in with a guy. Even If I'm just engaged I still wouldn't move in. I have never understood why some women do that and they wonder why the guy won't propose to them.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I would NEVER play house. If I'm not married I refuse to move in with a guy. Even If I'm just engaged I still wouldn't move in. I have never understood why some women do that and they wonder why the guy won't propose to them.
I actually find the expression "play house" rather offensive I must admit. I lived with my now Husband for 21 years before we got married and it was as serious and committed as ANY marriage.

"Play House" infantalises the relationship of people who CHOSE not to marry. I would quite happily put my "play house" relationship against ANY marriage.

One can be deeply in Love, committed to one another, and in a real grown up relationship without a piece of paper. I have never "played house" in my entire life.

I have never understood why some women are so obsessed with marriage as the be and end of it all. It is as though a woman will define herself by the ability to make a man propose to her and marry her. It seems positively archaic to me.

I do find it extraordinary that in the 21st Century there is still some stigma attached to cohabitation in certain parts of the world. Thank Goodness as Djuna mentions that some countries are a little bit more evolved and less judgemental.

Surely the emphasis should be on the value of stable, long term , committed relationships be they without a certificate or not. One looks as the Divorce rate and it all of a sudden seems obvious to me why so many people rush into marriage simply because of either social or personal expectations.

I would never even dream of marrying someone I had not lived with for quite a while. I simply cannot fathom how anyone believes otherwise. To me living with someone is crucial to discovering exactly how in sync you are. It also enables you to see the good, the bad and the ugly and to manage expectations rather than rushing blindly into total unknown territory.

Had Hubby not proposed I would not have felt slighted, upset or somehow become insecure about how my worth to him. He wanted to get married. I just wanted to spend my life with him with or without a ring. Marriage does not make a couple stronger. You either are strong together or you are not.

Him proposing to me was not the pinnacle of my relationship. That is not what I lived for oddly enough.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think if a couple is happy being together and playing house without a ring and proposal, that is fine. Personally I might be with a man for a few years if I lived in my own place and he in his, but if I am having to cook and clean and wash his stuff I don't know how long I would do that. If I really was in love and I thought he loved me as well, I would say may 2-3 years max.
I've lived with my SO for five years, and I've never washed his stuff (he's sure washed mine, though). I tend to cook more, however, because I like cooking. And we both clean, him probably more than I. Living with somebody, married or not, doesn't mean that the woman has to play the housekeeper role. That's certainly not our setup.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I actually find the expression "play house" rather offensive I must admit. I lived with my now Husband for 21 years before we got married and it was as serious and committed as ANY marriage.

"Play House" infantalises the relationship of people who CHOSE not to marry. I would quite happily put my "play house" relationship against ANY marriage.

One can be deeply in Love, committed to one another, and in a real grown up relationship without a piece of paper. I have never "played house" in my entire life.

I have never understood why some women are so obsessed with marriage as the be and end of it all. It is as though a woman will define herself by the ability to make a man propose to her and marry her. It seems positively archaic to me.

I do find it extraordinary that in the 21st Century there is still some stigma attached to cohabitation in certain parts of the world. Thank Goodness as Djuna mentions that some countries are a little bit more evolved and less judgemental.

Surely the emphasis should be on the value of stable, long term , committed relationships be they without a certificate or not. One looks as the Divorce rate and it all of a sudden seems obvious to me why so many people rush into marriage simply because of either social or personal expectations.

I would never even dream of marrying someone I had not lived with for quite a while. I simply cannot fathom how anyone believes otherwise. To me living with someone is crucial to discovering exactly how in sync you are. It also enables you to see the good, the bad and the ugly and to manage expectations rather than rushing blindly into total unknown territory.

Had Hubby not proposed I would not have felt slighted, upset or somehow become insecure about how my worth to him. He wanted to get married. I just wanted to spend my life with him with or without a ring. Marriage does not make a couple stronger. You either are strong together or you are not.

Him proposing to me was not the pinnacle of my relationship. That is not what I lived for oddly enough.
I am sincerely happy for you, but I believe it happened the way you described because you two are definitely in love with each other. Now if you had moved in with a guy who wasn't all that into you, but happened to want or need you, then the outcome may have been different from what you would have liked. That is why I say when a woman moves in with a man to supposedly try to do a dry run on marriage, she is hedging HIS bets, not HERS.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I am not American. In NZ we have different expectations and a totally different dating culture.

In my circle of friends from the ages of 20-35ish no-one was married. Everyone lived together. It was perfectly normal and socially acceptable. The US has prudish and backwards ideas about these things in my opinion.

Oh I thought you were american. well even so, just b/c some of us don't do things the way you do in your country doesn't make us "prudish and backwards." The opposite would be like me saying people in your country are "loose and mixed up."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships