Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,308,970 times

Advertisements

Somehow I wonder if the OP isn't projecting his insecurity about his number of sexual partners on others...because as many people as I've encountered and dated, very few have asked me my number of sexual partners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Somehow I wonder if the OP isn't projecting his insecurity about his number of sexual partners on others...because as many people as I've encountered and dated, very few have asked me my number of sexual partners.
Yes, that, but I find it annoying in general, because of how it treats everyone who isn't interested in keeping score.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
I think he's still pretty young, and young men do like to brag sometimes unfortunately.

So I'm guessing he's feeling judged by his peers, not adults in the real world

Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 AM

31,077 posts, read 22,122,662 times
Quote:
Thats what I got out of it. Ive never asked a woman about how many men she's been with, but have always had a pretty good idea when its been a lot or few. Not that I haven't heard a few stories from them.

Actually, the women at either end of the spectrum are usually poor lovers (Few- A lot), one due to lack of experience the other due to lack a sensitivity.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Does this society look down on those who have had few sexual partners?
No.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,740,782 times
yes they absolutely do. if you have too many or if you have too few after a 'certain' age they write you off as a mentally challenged freak. That is the way things are, whether or not they 'should or shouldn't' be this way is irrelevant. This is how they are, so what difference does it make?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,479,158 times
If you have too few or too many compared to some poorly-defined "norm" at a particular age, some people may think there's something odd or even wrong with you. A 40 year old virgin is certainly unusual, but it's their life and presumably their choice, unless some personality trait or psychological condition has prevented them from experiencing an intimate relationship. I don't look down on them, but would be curious about their situation.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times
I thought society paid more attention to net worth, profession and the kind of family you raise

No?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times
Virginity above the age of 18-20 or so is certainly seen as somewhat strange in the States, although "waiting until marriage" is still seen as admirable by many, including some young people. But many of the people who do that, and persevere, marry early - in their early 20's or so.

People will generally assume that two adults in a committed relationship are sexually active unless they are very religious, so they likewise assume that a virgin, unless very religious themselves, has never had a relationship.

Staying with one partner all your life is idealized by many.

On the other hand, sleeping with too many people is still viewed as immoral or at least "gross" by most of American society. This is quite a double standard, with promiscuity being much more looked down upon in women then men. Sleeping with dozens or hundreds of people, if made known, will definitely earn a female the title of "*****" or "****". Reactions will vary from "player" or "pimp" to "manwhore" if they are male, although praise of male promiscuity seems limited to (some) males.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I get annoyed when this discussion comes up: so how many people have you had sex with/slept with? It's almost as if people make fun of you if you've been with say 4 or less. It's like you're expected to play the field these days. People who only want to be with one person are seen as quaint and old-fashioned, even if some people think it's sweet, they're secretly thinking 'I could never do that.'

It's as if, if you haven't slept with at least 5 before you're 30 there's something wrong with you. It's expected that relationships won't last long (people act surprised if they last more than a 5 years) and you'll move on.
Tri. We need to talk.

I realize this is a forum and that forums are propelled by people asking questions, getting answers, and thrashing out their differences of opinion.

But do you realize how many questions you ask on here? My God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships