Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,418 times

Advertisements

I met a man on the NJ transit, on my way to meet another guy I was dating. Long story short, I wind up taking his number and breaking it off with the other guy I was seeing. He's a train conductor working 55 hours a week.

He seems really kind and generous. Upfront he told me that he was divorced with two small children (4 and 6), but had a good relationship with his ex. He didn't seem to have a lot of time and we spent the first few months interacting mainly over phone call and texts, daily. Finally we started hanging out on a regular basis, but I told him I had doubts about it working out because he seems to work so much and has his children half the week. He told me to not give up on the two of us, and that he would make more time for me.

We had a great night last night, going out to dinner and to his local bar. Then he told me he was stressed, saying his divorce was getting delayed because his wife had misfiled the paperwork in an offhand manner. I said, "I thought you were already divorced." He stammered for a bit and said, "Oh well, the paperwork's in there."

This really isn't a huge deal to me, since I know he is fully separated and not with her (she lives in a condo with another man)...but why did he just not say that his divorce wasn't final yet. Why just say he was divorced, when he wasn't yet? This is really bothering me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,451 times
Probably because he thought you wouldn't give him any if he said he was still technically married?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM

Maybe, but (and I'll probably be screamed at for this) I would've...if someone is seriously separated and moving towards divorce, I don't see a problem with seeing them. It just pisses me off that he lied, and most importantly, he doesn't consider that a big thing to lie about.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,904 times
Here is to hoping he takes the number of another gal while on his way to see you... and dumps ya
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGLJ2h0KZHLc0eKolhLIgzDLaU6Gecy rbIsE5p8Tx94Fqzm7DAMjef9hcr (broken link)

Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,248 times
It should bother you, and you must listen to your gut. And don't question what your gut is telling you, don't rationalize or buy into his explanations. Your gut is telling you that he's a liar and there is much more to his marital status than what he has told you. Let me guess, you have not been to his home, you have not met his children, etc. etc.

Run, don't walk. If it was meant to be, he can contact you when this "misfiled divorce" is complete (demand proof). I promise you, he is lying about more than just his first big lie that he is already divorced.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Here is to hoping he takes the number of another gal while on his way to see you... and dumps ya
Very cute...but me and the other guy weren't in an exclusive relationship, I told him that I took the train conductor's number.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:27 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
He lied because he probably isn't even separated.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM

I have been to his house several times, but I have not met his kids.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I have been to his house several times, but I have not met his kids.
um, too early to meet his kids. You havent earned that level of trust yet!

Quote:
Very cute...but me and the other guy weren't in an exclusive relationship, I told him that I took the train conductor's number.
in that case..its all good then!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Maybe, but (and I'll probably be screamed at for this) I would've...if someone is seriously separated and moving towards divorce, I don't see a problem with seeing them. It just pisses me off that he lied, and most importantly, he doesn't consider that a big thing to lie about.
You know your going to get a lot of flack here with the "You know your dating a married man" thing. Your not. the soon to be ex has a new man and I wouldn't even worry about it unless you plan on marrying him next month.

In reality there are people who split up years ago that never bothered getting a divorce. I dated a woman who had not seen her non official ex in 8 years. I really didn't give a hoot, even though she was worried about telling me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships