Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

Call it off until he is finally and officially divorced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
It's simple, he wanted to get his foot in the door, and in his mind telling you his divorce wasn't finalized was going to be a dealbreaker.

Have you told him how you feel about this new wrinkle to his story? Let him know you aren't happy with his dishonestly and that if he expects this to work he has to be on the level with you. Something tells me he probably has a few more surprises which he conveniently forgot to share, but take it one day at a time, trust your instincts if they're telling you something isn't right.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Call it off until he is finally and officially divorced.
Sorry don't see the point of this...

Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
I think he could read you a mile away. How do you know his wife is living with another man? Did he tell you, or do you know her personally? Did you ever stop to think he fed you a line and you swallowed it hook, line, and sinker? This story kind of says something about your character, and doesn't paint you in an entirely bright light.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Probably because he thought you wouldn't give him any if he said he was still technically married?
Also he was hot so she put her judgment on hold.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I met a man on the NJ transit, on my way to meet another guy I was dating. Long story short, I wind up taking his number and breaking it off with the other guy I was seeing. He's a train conductor working 55 hours a week.

He seems really kind and generous. Upfront he told me that he was divorced with two small children (4 and 6), but had a good relationship with his ex. He didn't seem to have a lot of time and we spent the first few months interacting mainly over phone call and texts, daily. Finally we started hanging out on a regular basis, but I told him I had doubts about it working out because he seems to work so much and has his children half the week. He told me to not give up on the two of us, and that he would make more time for me.

We had a great night last night, going out to dinner and to his local bar. Then he told me he was stressed, saying his divorce was getting delayed because his wife had misfiled the paperwork in an offhand manner. I said, "I thought you were already divorced." He stammered for a bit and said, "Oh well, the paperwork's in there."

This really isn't a huge deal to me, since I know he is fully separated and not with her (she lives in a condo with another man)...but why did he just not say that his divorce wasn't final yet. Why just say he was divorced, when he wasn't yet? This is really bothering me.

The only paperwork i could think of that she would need to file would be separation papers. And if that's the case you'd have to wait a year or up to 3 depending on the state. Then again what i wonder about is his sudden freedom of time....like he had somewhere else to be. I mean i would be cautious and see how things precede.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 AM

626 posts, read 903,000 times
Quote:
I met a man on the NJ transit, on my way to meet another guy I was dating. Long story short, I wind up taking his number and breaking it off with the other guy I was seeing. He's a train conductor working 55 hours a week.

He seems really kind and generous. Upfront he told me that he was divorced with two small children (4 and 6), but had a good relationship with his ex. He didn't seem to have a lot of time and we spent the first few months interacting mainly over phone call and texts, daily. Finally we started hanging out on a regular basis, but I told him I had doubts about it working out because he seems to work so much and has his children half the week. He told me to not give up on the two of us, and that he would make more time for me.

We had a great night last night, going out to dinner and to his local bar. Then he told me he was stressed, saying his divorce was getting delayed because his wife had misfiled the paperwork in an offhand manner. I said, "I thought you were already divorced." He stammered for a bit and said, "Oh well, the paperwork's in there."

This really isn't a huge deal to me, since I know he is fully separated and not with her (she lives in a condo with another man)...but why did he just not say that his divorce wasn't final yet. Why just say he was divorced, when he wasn't yet? This is really bothering me.
Then ask him about it. It's early in the relationship, so ask all the questions necessary to make you feel comfortable about moving forward. Use that intuition that God gave you. Don't ignore the hunch. All the best.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I think him lying about his status is a red flag. Having filed for divorce is NOT having been divorced. Eventually he will be, but it seems silly to lie over the difference. It may be a small difference in practice, but the fact he felt compelled to lie, instead of being upfront, would cause me concern. It starts things out early with trust issues in my book.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Default Man I've been dating for a few months lied about divorce

Quote:
Sorry don't see the point of this...
You not seeing the point is part of the problem (your age is showing)! Unless you want to be known as "easy" (as in slutty) put the brakes on and top this foolishness until his divorce is final. Take the advice of the many posters on this forum that have been there, and have much more experience with life than you do. You are a young person who has limited experience with life, if you are going to ask for advice, be willing to listen and learn. In the meantime, think about this: if you want our advice and help, ask for it, if you want our sympathy, tell your girlfriends about it and don't bother us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships