Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,540 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread a while back and I wanted to thank people for their responses:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ommercial.html

I've only been on a week and I have to say it's MUCH easier than OKCupid! Not only is it easier to just start the communication process with the click of a button (rather than read a boring, cliche profile and try to figure out something creative to say to her when she probably won't read it anyway), but I've also noticed that the women seem much more "decent" and are looking for what I'm looking for. They seem much more relationship minded.

Anyway, got my first date lined up this week from a girl I communicated with last weekend. Looking forward to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I posted a thread a while back and I wanted to thank people for their responses:

I've only been on a week and I have to say it's MUCH easier than OKCupid! Not only is it easier to just start the communication process with the click of a button (rather than read a boring, cliche profile and try to figure out something creative to say to her when she probably won't read it anyway), but I've also noticed that the women seem much more "decent" and are looking for what I'm looking for. They seem much more relationship minded.

Anyway, got my first date lined up this week from a girl I communicated with last weekend. Looking forward to it!
So I assume you know what she looks like?

I used eharmony for free, years ago, for a few months. The only thing I can remember is that I never once saw a photograph of a woman.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
So I assume you know what she looks like?

I used eharmony for free, years ago, for a few months. The only thing I can remember is that I never once saw a photograph of a woman.
I'd say of the 30 matches I got last week, only 2 didn't have photos.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
Quote:
I'd say of the 30 matches I got last week, only 2 didn't have photos.
oh okay. Well, have fun.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,614 times
I tried eHarmony, but very briefly.

Pros: People on the site seemed more geared toward serious relationships/marriage. Also, the Q&A really gave me a sense of who they were.

Cons: eHarmony matched me up with people 200 miles + away, or in some cases, other states. Also, not a lot of childfree men on the site.

I think that joining any dating site and being successful is largely a result of perfect timing. You happen to be on the site at the same time someone very well-matched for you, as in my case. A lot of serendipity was involved.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:

Hopefully she hasn't been pounding donuts since her photos were taken 5 years ago....

Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I'm sure there will be a barrage of posts from Harmony Haters but a good friend of mine did very well using its services. He was on there for quite a while and met several good prospects (he did have the wherewithal to go and visit them many miles away) and a couple of them came to visit him here. I was sincerely rooting for him as he's a great guy, has a good business at which he works very hard but the pickin's on this island really aren't too great! Anyway, he finally met a lovely girl from Indonesia and, after a couple of extended visits to see her there he decided that she was "the one" and brought her here. They were married about a year ago and are incredibly happy. She's gorgeous, bright and the perfect match for him in every respect and I'm guessing that this will be a marriage that will truly last until death them do part.

So, there's one story with a happy ending before the whaling and wailing begins!

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:

Congratulations, Chi-turtle! Have fun on your date!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
I tried eHarmony, but very briefly.

Pros: People on the site seemed more geared toward serious relationships/marriage. Also, the Q&A really gave me a sense of who they were.

Cons: eHarmony matched me up with people 200 miles + away, or in some cases, other states. Also, not a lot of childfree men on the site.

I think that joining any dating site and being successful is largely a result of perfect timing. You happen to be on the site at the same time someone very well-matched for you, as in my case. A lot of serendipity was involved.
I tend to agree, supernaut. My experience was similar to yours. I bit the bullet and paid for a 1-year subscription to eH. While most of the matches were great, I only got ONE date out of it in the entire year. The reason: eH kept matching me with people who lived much too far away. I live in NW Indiana and got matches as far away as Wisconsin, Ohio and upper Michigan.

My eH experience was very frustrating, because most of the matches they sent were such good ones, but the distance was ridiculous.

I had much better luck with two other dating sites; one free and one paid subscription. With the free one, I had to sort through a lot of undesirables, but there were some nice guys among the thorns and I had some good dates and a couple of decent relationships out of it. (Just not "Mr. Right.") With the other paid site, which costs about half what eH costs, I met someone on Day 3 of my 6-month subscription and we've been dating for just under 6 months now! I'm letting my membership lapse in about a week.

Timing and serendipity, as you said.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
You're an e-Harmony pumper

eHarmony is a Ponzi scheme, people. Use the free sites and spam as many people as you want before throwing away 100 bucks to these fraudsters.

Besides, it's an old people site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships