Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 11:53 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Okay so I'm asking out this girl on a date when she gets back in town. I'm debating on whether to ask her out to lunch or dinner. Lunch might be easier since I know she's gonna be interning in DC and I'm in DC for most of winter break, whereas dinner would be tougher since she'd be back on campus. And I don't have a car which makes the logistics trickier

My friend and I were talking about this and he thinks I ought to go with the dinner date because it definitely conveys the "I'm interested in you romantically" message while a lunch date can be misconstrued to mean "you seem like a potentially good friend, let's get some food." If that makes any sense to y'all.

Thoughts?

Lunch dates. You literally can decide in an hour whether there's any chemistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 12:14 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Okay so I'm asking out this girl on a date when she gets back in town.
9 years is a long time to be out of town.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:18 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I think it's mostly known in society that lunch = more casual & dinner + more formal, romantic.

So, even if dinner's more difficult, try your best to do DINNER to convey the right message right off the bat.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:40 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
My suggestion has always been that the first "meeting" can be one that one can easily get out of and not to costly. Lunch with the understanding one has to return to work or be somewhere works well.

One could always decide to make a call and get out of whatever if both want to spend more time together.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:07 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
I'm not one to say that lunch dates aren't successful, but I can only judge from my experiences. Most of my lunch meetings were with potential clients, friends, or a girlfriend and we had already established a relationship. Otherwise, I actually preferred dinner dates.

My experience with dinner dates are that women shave for them. Women don't shave for lunch dates. I'm not saying this to be sexual either. I just believe women are far more engaged and care more about their appearance over dinner than they do lunch.

Dating in general needs two people who can be focused on getting to know each other. With a lunch time date, you're still thinking about what you started before the date and what you need to finish after the date. It sets up a poor mindset for both individuals on the date.

I've found dinner dates do clear up this confusion. He's finished with his daily routine and she's finished with hers. They've both lined up babysitters who can watch their children, if they have them, and they have set it up to pick their children up the next morning. What this scenario sets up is the ability for a date to be good or bad, yet it puts both individuals in a situation to cut the date short or continue to see where the date takes them. With a lunch date, your date will be cut short most of the time, whether it's good or bad.

Women put in the effort for dinner dates that they just don't do for lunch dates, because lunch dates are penciled in. One is typically left for romance and the other is left for friendship when dating.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:24 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My suggestion has always been that the first "meeting" can be one that one can easily get out of and not to costly. Lunch with the understanding one has to return to work or be somewhere works well.

One could always decide to make a call and get out of whatever if both want to spend more time together.
My cousin met her husband through a dating service that I think was called Just Lunch. It was designed for professional people working in the downtown of a major city. I thought that was a great strategy since everyone needs to eat lunch and the worst is if you didn't enjoy the company of the person you had lunch with. The date wasn't too long and there was no awkwardness about ending the date because it was only meant for that specific time. IIRC, he was the second lunch date she had.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:58 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I'm not one to say that lunch dates aren't successful, but I can only judge from my experiences. Most of my lunch meetings were with potential clients, friends, or a girlfriend and we had already established a relationship. Otherwise, I actually preferred dinner dates.

My experience with dinner dates are that women shave for them. Women don't shave for lunch dates. I'm not saying this to be sexual either. I just believe women are far more engaged and care more about their appearance over dinner than they do lunch.

Dating in general needs two people who can be focused on getting to know each other. With a lunch time date, you're still thinking about what you started before the date and what you need to finish after the date. It sets up a poor mindset for both individuals on the date.

I've found dinner dates do clear up this confusion. He's finished with his daily routine and she's finished with hers. They've both lined up babysitters who can watch their children, if they have them, and they have set it up to pick their children up the next morning. What this scenario sets up is the ability for a date to be good or bad, yet it puts both individuals in a situation to cut the date short or continue to see where the date takes them. With a lunch date, your date will be cut short most of the time, whether it's good or bad.

Women put in the effort for dinner dates that they just don't do for lunch dates, because lunch dates are penciled in. One is typically left for romance and the other is left for friendship when dating.
This is absolutely true.

An evening date is so much more intimate, and you're more likely to get a kiss afterwards. Nobody wants to make-out in broad daylight...

Old 12-08-2020, 08:10 PM

144 posts, read 78,064 times
dinner date is definetly more romantic. lunch date is a little more friendly less committed. if your worried about her not thinking its a date, slip int the word date when your setting it up, that way she knows your intentions. good luck!

Old 12-26-2020, 09:02 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Neither is more romantic that the other, in my opinion, although lunch is better for a first date. Lunch entrees are less costly, and it's easier to put a time limit on a lunch date, as "insurance" against things going haywire. However, the new school of thought it to avoid all food-centric dates; stick to free or almost-free dates, like a walk in a busy park, a few hours at a small museum, mini golf, etc. If you must do food, get something small, like ice cream or tea and pastries. That is, enough to fit the definition of breaking bread together---a timeless human bonding ritual---but not a full meal, to thwart dinner schemers. I've done the latter myself, at least until I retired from dating.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:13 PM

735 posts, read 452,097 times
It seems that you’ve known her for a while, and now, you want to let her know that you’re romantically interested in her, correct? Then, be a confident man and ask her out on a dinner date. Don’t over think it. Enjoy your time with her, and see if the spark is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships