Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 01:37 AM

7,832 posts, read 11,874,163 times

Advertisements

What are your first dates like? Do you usually go inexpensive (coffee, game of pool etc.) as opposed to dinner so that you don't wind up spending $$$ if there is no mutual attraction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:55 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,161,519 times
I think it depends on how well/if you know the person. If this is someone from the internet or a blind date or something, I'd definitely keep is casual and have an out planned. Plan to just meet for coffee or something as a way of just meeting each other -- if it goes really well, you can immediately ask for a dinner/lunch date.

If you already know the person and are confident it won't be the most excruciatingly uncomfortable evening in the history of dating... go for it. Shoot for dinner, movie, baseball game, museum, weekend in Vegas, whatever. See what happens.

As far as money goes, only suggest activities/places you can afford. If it's someone you don't think is worth spending your money on, move on. Ask out someone who is.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:56 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,975,945 times
Go for casual and something that has a relatively easy and unembarrassing exit in case the date goes very wrong. Also, go somewhere that's not loud, so you can talk w/o having to shout yourselves delirious.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,999,972 times
The best first date I ever went on (other than with my hubby, of course ,) was to a Billy Joel concert. It was with somebody I knew ahead of time so we already had an established relationship. With hubby and most other first dates I went on, it was to dinner or lunch. Nothing major and nothing that would be too expensive or too time-consuming. I do remember another first date, though, where we met by the elephants at the National Zoo in Washington DC and spent the rest of the day at the zoo. That was a great first date, too.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 AM

5,076 posts, read 14,691,043 times
Being a former single gal who was also a successful dater, I would always request a meeting first at a local very casual place like for tea / coffee. If it seemed to be worth my time, and he asked, I'd agree to a "real" date to dinner.
I don't like movies as a first date though - how do you talk and get to know each other??
My thing was always the coffee shop first. If things looked like they were going well, then I'd suggest dinner or my date would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships