Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I don't know where you eat, but I've had lunches that were pretty expensive. I've also had dinners that were very inexpensive. If she orders a salad for lunch or dinner, what's the difference? I think too much emphasis is put on how much money is spent on a date. We're talking college students here. I don't see them dining at The Four Seasons. If he wanted to be cheap, he could take her to McDonald's and order off the dollar menu. Also, "romantic" is what both people bring to the table. It doesn't always have to be about ambiance. Have you never spent a date with someone during the afternoon and the date turned into 12 great hours of talking, hanging out, walking around the city? I don't understand the "middle of day" being an issue.
I was talking about the "perception", not the actual dollar amount spent on the meal...sheesh, literal.

He's the one who asked for advice about dinner v. lunch, and money did not seem to be the issue, it was logistics and how the offer would be interpreted. Dinner was my advice. Yours obviously is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 01:10 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Okay so I'm asking out this girl on a date when she gets back in town. I'm debating on whether to ask her out to lunch or dinner. Lunch might be easier since I know she's gonna be interning in DC and I'm in DC for most of winter break, whereas dinner would be tougher since she'd be back on campus. And I don't have a car which makes the logistics trickier

My friend and I were talking about this and he thinks I ought to go with the dinner date because it definitely conveys the "I'm interested in you romantically" message while a lunch date can be misconstrued to mean "you seem like a potentially good friend, let's get some food." If that makes any sense to y'all.

Thoughts?
Go with the lunch. In the beginning always lean toward the cheap.. Here's another tip. Eat before you go that way she can eat and let her do most of the talking. Let her order first and then you order something light.

That way one she will think your a good listener and two the more women talk the more they tell about themselves..

Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Go with the lunch. In the beginning always lean toward the cheap..
def agree with the going cheap for the first date, after all it makes no sense to spend serious cash on someone you barely know. however, nothing says that you can't have a cheap or moderately priced dinner...in fact as i already stated earlier a better idea would be to just meet up for a drink or two and then if things go well schedule a proper dinner date

Old 12-24-2011, 02:29 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I think a weekend activity / lunch is a great idea.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:14 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,528 times
I just went on a lunch date with a girl, a first date and she kissed me after, not cheek either so im not sure why people automatically think that lunch date=failure

Old 11-28-2020, 12:10 PM

433 posts, read 532,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Speaking as a female, if I really like a guy, I don't care if it's lunch or dinner. If I really like him, I'm just happy to be there.

If I *had* to pick, I would say to go with the weekend lunch idea. If lunch goes well, you can spend the rest of the day together and *really* get to know each other. If you have a dinner instead, there's only so much hanging out you can get in before it starts to reach the "booty call" hour (late night) and then there's sometime this weird pressure to hookup. If you're looking to get to know her, and not just hookup, I would say the weekend lunch date is a much better bet Also if you have a dinner date and it goes into late night, you might be giving too much away too early in terms of your feelings. Like, if you both just can't say goodbye, it shows you're really into each other, which is good, but it can make things get way too heavy way too fast, if you aren't careful.
Funny you should mention "booty call" when there are also folks who are interested in---

https://psychcentral.com/news/2019/0...al/148058.html

Something to paste in their social media accounts?

Old 11-28-2020, 02:42 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Okay so I'm asking out this girl on a date when she gets back in town. I'm debating on whether to ask her out to lunch or dinner. Lunch might be easier since I know she's gonna be interning in DC and I'm in DC for most of winter break, whereas dinner would be tougher since she'd be back on campus. And I don't have a car which makes the logistics trickier

My friend and I were talking about this and he thinks I ought to go with the dinner date because it definitely conveys the "I'm interested in you romantically" message while a lunch date can be misconstrued to mean "you seem like a potentially good friend, let's get some food." If that makes any sense to y'all.

Thoughts?
Lunch is more convenient and workable for you, so do lunch. Simple. Don't complicate it by reading any meanings into it. Just go to lunch, and enjoy. If her schedule is open enough, plan a simple activity afterwards, in case you two really get along; a simple walk would be fine, or whatever attractions are near the lunch location.

I think lunch is a great first date. Some guys push the dinner date idea, then resent having to shell out a lot of money, for a date that didn't work out. Also, if you start out with a dinner date, what could you possibly do on subsequent dates to top that? You're already starting out at the top. Start out modestly. Save dinner dates for special occasions. If you lead with the dinner date, you're making it ordinary, rather than something special and meaningful. And you're boxing yourself in for her high expectations in the future.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:47 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,894 times
I like lunch or dinner dates at hole in the wall places. I took my GF out to a basic looking Taqueria with amazing food in San Antonio last Thanksgiving. That was probably my last experience eating out with her . I want life to get back to normal.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:14 PM

946 posts, read 565,438 times
Neither.

Drinks. Or ice cream. The first date should be simple.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
Quote:
I'm very certain she ain't the type who puts out before being in a relationship. Nor am I, lol.

As for logistics, here it goes: we both live in College Park, MD. There are no bus lines that go directly from my house to her apartment. Even the university shuttles don't; I have to transfer to another bus on campus. Which isn't a big deal except during the weekends when the shuttles near my house don't run. Our places ain't too far from each other either but this is a pretty sketchy town and she definitely wouldn't wanna walk home alone at night.

tl;dr life would be easier with a car.
Get a Taxi or Uber much classier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships