Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 AM

24 posts, read 49,714 times

Advertisements

How many dates do you consider someone to be a boyfriend/girlfriend or "going out" with?

How many dates do you consider someone to be in a relationship with you?

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,171,849 times
varies how strong a connection develops. some take longer then others.

typically around 1.5-2 months for me with seeing the person regularly.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredRiver View Post
How many dates do you consider someone to be a boyfriend/girlfriend or "going out" with?

How many dates do you consider someone to be in a relationship with you?

Thanks,
Chris
Nothing to do with number of dates. I would think it depends on when the individuals feel they want to be exclusive. Could be a week, could be three months but needs to be a mutual decision.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,820 times
Best to talk it out at some point. Some people will go on and on without making it official because they don't want it to be official. If you want clarity and committment it's better to be really clear once you're ready.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:48 PM

28 posts, read 70,103 times
It not a specific number. The issue is how long does it take for both of you to get to know each other and feel comfortable being around each other. That varies between people and in different relationships.

Generally what happens is that both of you find that you like spending more and more time together. The distinction between a date and just hanging out sort of blurs. It might start out going out for dinner and movies but then later she is asking you to drop by after work to join for dinner at her place.

Having sex with someone isn't determinative, but is usually a pretty good sign you are on the right path.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:56 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,861,491 times
I never consider it being involved with someone till there is a discussion over whether each party wants commitment and what they are after in a relationship. In my younger years when I did a lot of dating I found some would consider a first date a binding contract and ask me to move to another state with them and things like that while others you could date multiple times and they didn't want it to get serious.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:58 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Nothing to do with number of dates. I would think it depends on when the individuals feel they want to be exclusive. Could be a week, could be three months but needs to be a mutual decision.
yes, exactly what Desert says

it's not about number of dates, it's about the two of you having the conversation about dating, and dating other people, so you are both on the same page. if you can't talk about it, then it is bound to cause confusion and misunderstanding.

ask her those questions, see what she says, it's a valuable and important and essential conversation to have.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,879,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

I agree.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Once one of us moves in with the other, it's a relationship, definitely.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
I agree with the others...it has nothing to do with the number of dates...it's how the relationship develops. My BF and I became exclusive after our first real date...one week after we had initially met. But we spent 5 hours together the first time we met, and nine hours together on our first date. Totally depends on the persons involved and how you feel about each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships