Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,417,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I never understood why people have a problem with going to a movie alone. I mean, I know when I watch a movie that I don't really talk to others. I get into the movie (Usually) and don't really care to talk to anyone else until the movie is over, I guess. I have no problem with it really. I actually enjoy it. I realize that most people may think that it is strange, but whatever. I don't HAVE to have someone to with me all of the time. Seems like a good majority of people HAVE to have someone with them at all times though.

But I guess I am kind of a loner. I do just about everything alone. I don't really have any problems with it. It can be lonely at times, but I also know that people can get on my nerves after a while and as I have gotten older I don't really trust people as much as I once did. However, I was not a loner in high school. I was hanging out with friends just about every single day after school and on weekends. I started to kind of becoming more of a loner around my college years. Lost touch with most of my high school friends, met some new ones, I guess, but in my experience friends come and go for whatever reason.

Some things I do alone a good bit:

Movies
Eat/Restaurants/Bars
Work out/gym
Shop
Walk around town
Sleep alone. (Hopefully this will change at some point)
Everything really

Being alone is easy for me, but can be lonely at times. I guess you kind of get used to it. I don't normally seek out a lot of new relationships, but maybe I should. It is good to have some contacts. I do, it's just not a lot. I was thinking the other day (and this may be sad) but if I were to get married or at my funeral...I can't think of that many people that I would like to be there for those events. Of course I have a short list, but I would not have anywhere close to 100. I know that much. Hell, maybe not even 50. That's ok I suppose, because that's just how I ROLL these days. Maybe things will change one day, but I will most likely never be some social butterfly.
Me either. Movies aren't really a social thing per se, although there is the crowd. I don't think it's really a good idea for a date in itself, although it does offer something to talk about if you go for dinner or something afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:16 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,941,736 times
None, come to think of it.

Whenever I'm alone I just tend to migrate to the piano, a book or learning languages.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM

5,418 posts, read 9,240,996 times
Movies aren't really a social thing, I do them by myself anyways. I've gone to eat by myself and stuff too, and also gone to the mall by myself and whatnot to get clothes (or go to the bookstore attached to it, or the music store inside.)

Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,947,609 times
I'm not a loner, I just don't have a problem feeling confident and okay about doing things alone. I've never been one of those people who craves alone time to recharge...I like it fine, but I'm totally okay being with another person, as well. I don't really like large groups, and prefer to enjoy gatherings of four or five people at the upper range. I lived alone for most of my twenties, after years of having shared quarters with anywhere from 1-5 other people. I did fine in all those settings. When I moved in with my SO after years of living by myself, everyone asked if it was a big adjustment. It wasn't. Everyone asked what I did to get my necessary alone time. I don't really require much by way of alone time. My bus ride to and from work was plenty. I do well alone, and I do well with people. I don't prefer people in huge groups, but I can deal with it if need be. Wouldn't be my top choice, though.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not a loner, I just don't have a problem feeling confident and okay about doing things alone. I've never been one of those people who craves alone time to recharge...I like it fine, but I'm totally okay being with another person, as well. I don't really like large groups, and prefer to enjoy gatherings of four or five people at the upper range. I lived alone for most of my twenties, after years of having shared quarters with anywhere from 1-5 other people. I did fine in all those settings. When I moved in with my SO after years of living by myself, everyone asked if it was a big adjustment. It wasn't. Everyone asked what I did to get my necessary alone time. I don't really require much by way of alone time. My bus ride to and from work was plenty. I do well alone, and I do well with people. I don't prefer people in huge groups, but I can deal with it if need be. Wouldn't be my top choice, though.
Sounds like the perfect balance.

I on the other hand do crave alone time now and then, but I also get lonely after awhile. I'm content being alone most of the time (and used to it) as a lot of the activities I do are solitary anyway.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,181,333 times
I hate doing things a lone, but I'm forcing myself lately to step out more, and enjoy life ....

I don't mind fitness at the park, shopping, going to a movie during the day, but I don't like going to bars or restaurants a lone, or to see a band or show ... Last Wednesday was the first time I went to a Broadway Play by myself. It was my birthday and no one was around ... I really wanted to keep my bday hush-hush this year, so I got myself a ticket to a show and off I went ... I went to see Mountaintop, and was amazed at how many people were there all by themselves. I went to the 2:00pm show, got fantastic seats, and Michael Douglas was just 5 seats away from me ...

Come Summer, I go to the beach a lot .... by myself. It's tough when your in your mid-40s and all your friends are married with kids ...

Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I hate doing things a lone, but I'm forcing myself lately to step out more, and enjoy life ....

I don't mind fitness at the park, shopping, going to a movie during the day, but I don't like going to bars or restaurants a lone, or to see a band or show ... Last Wednesday was the first time I went to a Broadway Play by myself. It was my birthday and no one was around ... I really wanted to keep my bday hush-hush this year, so I got myself a ticket to a show and off I went ... I went to see Mountaintop, and was amazed at how many people were there all by themselves. I went to the 2:00pm show, got fantastic seats, and Michael Douglas was just 5 seats away from me ...

Come Summer, I go to the beach a lot .... by myself. It's tough when your in your mid-40s and all your friends are married with kids ...
I'm sure a lot of those were tourists. Big tourist cities will have a lot of people don't things alone because they are visiting.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,181,333 times
I actually think being single shouldn't stop you from doing things you want to do ... it's an uncomfortable thing sometimes, but it's best to get over it ... When I went to the show in the afternoon, it looked to be a lot of older folks as well as college students, and friends together ...

It's good to have a happy, solid, lifestyle and being comfortable enough in your own skin will build confidence and who knows, even enable you to meet new people - as in friends.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I actually think being single shouldn't stop you from doing things you want to do ... it's an uncomfortable thing sometimes, but it's best to get over it ... When I went to the show in the afternoon, it looked to be a lot of older folks as well as college students, and friends together ...

It's good to have a happy, solid, lifestyle and being comfortable enough in your own skin will build confidence and who knows, even enable you to meet new people - as in friends.
Going out alone and being confident enough to strike up a convo with anyone is one of the best ways to meet friends.

If you only go out with friends you tend to be less aware/open to these sort of interractions.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,947,609 times
When I was first living in Chicago on my own, and knew nobody, I really LIKED how going it alone made me feel. I felt more and more confident and comfortable in my own skin the more and more stuff I was comfortable doing on my own and independently. It was similar to how I felt when I took off on my own for another country when I was a freshman in college. If I could handle myself in some unfamiliar country at age 18, it felt like there really wasn't much of anything I couldn't do. Gaining personal independence is an important milestone in human development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships