Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:58 PM

37,682 posts, read 46,121,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's hard to say without knowing what "talking about their exes" means.

There's a lot of difference between:

Him: So I was thinking we could go hiking at blah blah state park. Ever been?
Her: I went there once with my ex, but we didn't go on many of the trails. I've always wanted to go back. Let's plan a trip!

and

Him: So, I saw Rush in concert...it was awesome.
Her: Oh, I love Rush! Did I mention that my ex used to be in a Rush tribute band...he was a big fan! I still have a bunch of his old Rush t-shirts. We still talk a lot...he's a really good guitarist. In fact, I'm probably gonna go to a festival of Rush tribute bands with him and a bunch of his friends and family next weekend...you don't mind, do you? I'm still really close to his family, pop over there for dinner once in a while...they were really sad when we broke up...
This^^. If it's the first, then it's nothing, pretty normal behavior. But if it's the latter, then obviously there is some unresolved issue. OP, which is it?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:41 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,405,035 times
I don't talk about my ex-boyfriend unless it's necessary.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,041,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
This^^. If it's the first, then it's nothing, pretty normal behavior. But if it's the latter, then obviously there is some unresolved issue. OP, which is it?
It's been the former thus far. Not a huge red flag, just annoying to me, since I don't have any exes

Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 PM

37,682 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
It's been the former thus far. Not a huge red flag, just annoying to me, since I don't have any exes
It shouldn't be a red flag at all. Just because you have not had any previous relationships, you can't expect others to purge all of theirs from memory and never mention them. That's absurd.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
Honestly, I'd find it to be FAR MORE of a red flag if somebody I was dating had been in previous relationships of a more than casual nature and they NEVER EVER CAME UP.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 PM

93 posts, read 112,975 times
I really don't ever mention an ex. If I have something interesting to say that involves him I say "my friend," not "my ex-boyfriend."

him - "So, what did you do last night?"
me - "Oh, had a slumber party with one of my friends."

Hehe, no, but for serious - It would hurt me if someone I was dating mentioned an ex on more than one occasion and I wouldn't do that to someone else.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,041,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimps88 View Post
I really don't ever mention an ex. If I have something interesting to say that involves him I say "my friend," not "my ex-boyfriend."

him - "So, what did you do last night?"
me - "Oh, had a slumber party with one of my friends."

Hehe, no, but for serious - It would hurt me if someone I was dating mentioned an ex on more than one occasion and I wouldn't do that to someone else.
I guess for a lot of people, they just don't really know about the sensitivity levels of their current partners/dates about that sort of thing.

And us sensitive people are probably the ones being unreasonable, not anyone else. Heh.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:53 PM

93 posts, read 112,975 times
Yeah, but even if it's unreasonable, we can't change it. If someone I dated kept mentioning an ex, it would constantly bother me and I would not be able to just let it go.

But, yeah, I'm sensitive and I have learned to be unapologetic for it. I just try to move on . . . when I can.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:28 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,218,687 times
If I just started dating a girl I would want to do what I could to avoid talking about an ex. I might tell a story in which one of them in involved somehow, but I would try not to talk about her at length.

To me it comes down to "does she talk about her ex too much?" This one girl liked me enough to invite me back to her house after a "first date" and, after being intimate, she spent a lot of time complaining about two of her ex boyfriends. I felt like a therapist and that was too much for me. When she asked me about my ex, I made sure to keep it short and sweet because, well, I was trying to get past her.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:49 AM

12 posts, read 34,931 times
Default Why Do Girls Talk about Ex-Boyfriends?

Because they also like to compare between the new products and old products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships