Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,019,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Such a similar story, only I'm a nice mom.
My 20 year old son is one 12 units shy of his AA Degree which he will finish up in the fall. He has NO IDEA what course of action to take after that. The two years at community college were buying him time to figure things out but he hasn't. He also doesn't have a job right now. He had a retail position with the same company for 4 years, starting when he was 16, but that ended with the company restructured at the beginning of the year. He thought it would be fairly easy to pick up another part time retail job given his experience but so far no luck. It's a tough time to be 20, I can see it. I had so many options available to me in the 70's with just a high school diploma and no particular dreams or ambitions but today...blah.
I was in a similar situation as your son until I was almost 18. When I was 15 I got a job at a call center that I stayed at for a couple years, steady income to help pay for college, then the economy went to Hell in November 2008 and the call center I worked at got shut down, I've been unemployed ever since. Sometimes I think I would have been better off in the late-1950's to early-1970s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
ITT is a great great education, if that's what you love. But their credits often don't transfer anywhere else. So it you go there, you are stuck until you get out. If it not your dream - than don't do it.

Just finish the history degree. It's the piece of paper employers are looking for. For most companies, it fills the "Degree" box on their staffing statistics. A degree shows that you can learn and will follow through with a plan. That's about all it does - it doesn't give you any real work experience - so you are not at any disadvantage compared to other kids just out of school.

Be open minded about any job. My brother got a biology degree and couldn't find work. He worked the camera counter at a retail store. He worked hard and really pushed himself. He ended up being Vice President.
See, the thing is about ITT is that it is basically getting an Associates for even more money, that's not something I'm willing to risk at the moment. My dad doesn't seem to think theres a problem in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
You're a man. Why is someone else making a plan for you. Also, you asked for input, how about acting like an adult and addressing the other input that people have given you here.
He had ME come up with a plan, I wrote it, I planned it, I wrote the things I need to do for the next few years. Since this whole college thing keeps pushing things farther back, me and him are getting frustrated about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,021,727 times
But that's practically a death sentence. The military is a very controlled and tough society. He will have to deal with drill instructors from hell and indoctrination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
You know, I don't often suggest this, but go to talk to some military recruiters and ask them about your options of becoming of officer. Definitely don't just enlist or you'll be bored to tears.

Your parents aren't particularly good ones.
They're controlling and it's time for you to take ownership of your life. Joining the military is a great way to get experience, get the rest of your degree paid for, learn how to be a grown up and become a leader of extremely well trained men and women.

Alternatively, just do whatever it is you need to do to get your degree done and then move anywhere where you can find a job and get the heck away from your parents. You don't have to stay close to your family.

It's a degree and not trade school. Someone who studies history knows how to think critically, research and come up with and defend their own ideas. That's much more practical than you might think. I have a less than practical background and I run circles around more practical co-workers.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM

31,198 posts, read 22,223,710 times
Your young and have a ton of time. I myself love History and if you want to go off in that direction more power too you. Get your GS degree, then get your Masters in history, learn some Arabic and go to work for the CIA or NSA. All sorts of options, Make it what you want to make it. The world is yours Clam!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM

If it's a financial problem then you need to freeze your college plans and just look for work. Don't spend anymore money on college tuition. Also, check in with your career counselors they may be helpful, although don't count on it. More often than not career counselors are bungling bozos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I was in a similar situation as your son until I was almost 18. When I was 15 I got a job at a call center that I stayed at for a couple years, steady income to help pay for college, then the economy went to Hell in November 2008 and the call center I worked at got shut down, I've been unemployed ever since. Sometimes I think I would have been better off in the late-1950's to early-1970s.

See, the thing is about ITT is that it is basically getting an Associates for even more money, that's not something I'm willing to risk at the moment. My dad doesn't seem to think theres a problem in that area.

He had ME come up with a plan, I wrote it, I planned it, I wrote the things I need to do for the next few years. Since this whole college thing keeps pushing things farther back, me and him are getting frustrated about it.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,553,353 times
Quote:
I figure your right, but the last thing I want is to be sent off to Iraq or something, THAT is my contention. I read somewhere (I think) here on City-Data, someone had pretty much stated that if you join the service other than a reason to serve your country, then it's a waste of time. I mean I don't exactly want to be a nameless redshirt that gets a faceful of IED or whatever, but that's a risk you take in that field of work.

I know I have time for my twenties, it's just that my time around here keeps getting pushed back (especially after this whole math thing), I want to ditch Arizona like a bad habit, but the fact is for the next few years I can't, there is no affordable way I can even leave this state.

Two words - Coast Guard.

UNITED STATES COAST GUARD:

Old 07-15-2011, 02:03 PM

He just said he applied to every job opening in two cities. Other than that he has the military if his parents do kick him out of the house. He also can apply at federal and state government jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Well, they've got a fair point, right? What would you do if they stopped paying for everything tomorrow? You would have to find something to do in order to feed and house yourself, right? Probably you would work at some fast food joint for awhile, then figure out that you'll never accumulate wealth that way, or enjoy a comfortable standard of living. Then you would likely start looking at other options.

Pretend you're there now. You need to figure out something that you could enjoy doing that pays a decent wage, then pursue that. Yes, you enjoy history. But enjoying history does not pay well. A history degree doesn't generally make it easier to find employment, and especially not in the current economy. So, like the millions of other people who can't find that "dream job" of video game tester, full-time rock musician, book-reader, professional fantasy football expert, or whatever they REALLY enjoy doing, you need to find something to pay the bills and make history your hobby to indulge on the side. The military is not a bad option, nor is training that could help you get a job in repair or something. It is lovely and lucky to do something that you love as your job, but you need to keep in mind that millions of people go to jobs they aren't fond of (or at least don't consider "fun") every day in order to make ends meet. There's a reason they call it "work." The janitors who scrub toilets don't love that job. The fry guys at McDonald's don't consider that a good time. Sometimes you have to take something to eat. Right now while you're still in college would be a great time to see if there's something you could be interested that would pay better, and pursue it.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Apply to the civilian career jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Two words - Coast Guard.

UNITED STATES COAST GUARD:

Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 PM

In the military you are just a number. You will likely go off to one of the countries that the USA is at war with.

Quote:
I figure your right, but the last thing I want is to be sent off to Iraq or something, THAT is my contention. I read somewhere (I think) here on City-Data, someone had pretty much stated that if you join the service other than a reason to serve your country, then it's a waste of time. I mean I don't exactly want to be a nameless redshirt that gets a faceful of IED or whatever, but that's a risk you take in that field of work.

I know I have time for my twenties, it's just that my time around here keeps getting pushed back (especially after this whole math thing), I want to ditch Arizona like a bad habit, but the fact is for the next few years I can't, there is no affordable way I can even leave this state for a University, I originally wanted to go to a Southern state for college, dad didn't like that idea either.

20yrsinBranson, my comment is in Bold.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,019,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
In the military you are just a number. You will likely go off to one of the countries that the USA is at war with.
Or a country we are allied with. Or on a base somewhere in the US/Canada/Europe.

But I'd prefer to stay here in the lower 48, it's just I might just be thrown out, I KNOW I'm out of here when I'm 21. I'd like to go to the South, the job situation (from what I have been seeing) is either comparable or better than here, but there is no way I'm going to get across the US (okay, Texas mainly) with my budget. My parents don't even like that dream of mine, I WANT to go somewhere I'd like but I'm scared that I can't, and the situation I am in today compounds the problem.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:25 PM

You are out when you are 21? Really? You think the job market will be better by then?

If you go to Texas try Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.

Quote:
Or a country we are allied with. Or on a base somewhere in the US/Canada/Europe.

But I'd prefer to stay here in the lower 48, it's just I might just be thrown out, I KNOW I'm out of here when I'm 21. I'd like to go to the South, the job situation (from what I have been seeing) is either comparable or better than here, but there is no way I'm going to get across the US (okay, Texas mainly) with my budget. My parents don't even like that dream of mine, I WANT to go somewhere I'd like but I'm scared that I can't, and the situation I am in today compounds the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships