Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:19 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,021,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
What is it you want to do? If you don't have an idea yet, what sort of skills do you have that could help you find a job doing something while you figure it out? Have you applied for every job in town? Even menial jobs? Custodian? McDonald's?

In the towns where I live, I've applied to Walmart, Home Depot, Freeport-McMoran Copper and Gold (the local big copper mine), the hospital, the Dollar Tree, the Dollar General, the Bashas, the Safeway, etc.

If you're getting your "degree" and you're only 20, is this a community college, or a traditional 4-year school? Are you sure it's accredited? On the one hand, I understand you wanting to pursue a subject that interests you. On the other, your dad has a point. Getting a history degree often does not lead to employment unless you're prepared to get a Masters and a PhD, and even then, those college jobs have fierce competition. Teaching is hard to get into right now as well. No, your life is not over, in fact, it's just beginning, but you need to face the reality that it's time to come up with a plan and execute it. Your parents are not responsible for supporting you forever. The time may come very soon where you'll need to pay for your own place, food, etc. You need to seriously think about what sort of work you want to do and how to get the qualifications to obtain that sort of job.
Yes, I am getting my degree, in the little over 3 years that I have been going to the Community College (yes, it's accredited), I have changed my major twice, now for the moment it's General Studies (it's the only one I chose so far that hasn't caused a fight). I know that they aren't going to be responsible forever, but I feel the one thing keeping afloat is sinking me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OMG Poor baby! You're ahead of a lot of other kids your age, though. You at least know you have a problem. Now is the time to a) get into graduate school and delay the inevitable OR b) start a business.

1. If you get a graduate degree in lieu of a job, your parents may be more supportive. Even if you're unemployed, they can at least feel proud that you're educated. If you go for a PHD, that's even better. If your grades are good, you may be able to get a fellowship.

I've been trying to get an Associates for two years, ever since I graduated High School, College Math is my achilles' heal, I took a CLEP test today (where the Test Grade required for credit is a 50 and I got a 44 on it, the counselors office even told me it was the hardest test they had. My parents were EXPECTING me to get credit for this, and my dad had a bit of a tyrade this morning after I came back.

2. Business? You may need to think of alternatives for future employment. Can you start a business? You may need to think out of the box for stuff that can make money. Strip club? Adult "talk" hotline? LOL I am actually serious.

Heh, I don't think I'd want to start a business of that caliber , but I don't know what to do. I don't know where I lost direction.

3. Teaching? The US has a shortage of Math, Science and Special Education teachers. You already have a BA, maybe you can complete the requirements to teach special ed. It can be a rewarding and enjoyable career...that is also in demand and a viable option for liberal arts graduates.

I don't have an Associates yet (just 3 shy credits away from it).

*Finally, if you're having trouble in math: get a tutor. It's easy and they'll really help.
I've done tutoring, I spent until the wee hours of this morning studying and stressing about this test, and I still didn't get an acceptable score, now I have ANOTHER Fall semester of CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Finish school and get your degree in history. There are many paths you can take with a college degree that don't have to be related to your major.

I'm still going to be asked by my dad what I'm going to be using it for, and I still don't know.

At least 50% of kids your age don't know what they want to do when they are older. You're not alone and you're not supposed to know where you'll be in 5-10 years... that's the joy and mystery of living your life!
Thanks for that BKSnook, my dad's been having me revise a "plan" several times since March, I have it planned all the way up to 2015, and it's not turning out like I had hoped, and my dad is getting increasingly frustrated with it.

To all, my comments are in bold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,592,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I wouldn't call my parents "rough", just unwavering, I have been told several times that I should consider going to the military, or get a vocation at ITT Tech (my dad won't listen to the things I've told him about it anyway and how I don't trust ITT). I love history, always have, been a student of the American Civil War for a long time, but my dad says it will do me no good.

That's just the thing, even after I get the AA (which could be debateable) I really don't know what to be, or go for. We've fought over this so much that I just want to drop the issue.
Well, they've got a fair point, right? What would you do if they stopped paying for everything tomorrow? You would have to find something to do in order to feed and house yourself, right? Probably you would work at some fast food joint for awhile, then figure out that you'll never accumulate wealth that way, or enjoy a comfortable standard of living. Then you would likely start looking at other options.

Pretend you're there now. You need to figure out something that you could enjoy doing that pays a decent wage, then pursue that. Yes, you enjoy history. But enjoying history does not pay well. A history degree doesn't generally make it easier to find employment, and especially not in the current economy. So, like the millions of other people who can't find that "dream job" of video game tester, full-time rock musician, book-reader, professional fantasy football expert, or whatever they REALLY enjoy doing, you need to find something to pay the bills and make history your hobby to indulge on the side. The military is not a bad option, nor is training that could help you get a job in repair or something. It is lovely and lucky to do something that you love as your job, but you need to keep in mind that millions of people go to jobs they aren't fond of (or at least don't consider "fun") every day in order to make ends meet. There's a reason they call it "work." The janitors who scrub toilets don't love that job. The fry guys at McDonald's don't consider that a good time. Sometimes you have to take something to eat. Right now while you're still in college would be a great time to see if there's something you could be interested that would pay better, and pursue it.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,414,605 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call my parents "rough", just unwavering, I have been told several times that I should consider going to the military, or get a vocation at ITT Tech (my dad won't listen to the things I've told him about it anyway and how I don't trust ITT). I love history, always have, been a student of the American Civil War for a long time, but my dad says it will do me no good.

That's just the thing, even after I get the AA (which could be debateable) I really don't know what to be, or go for. We've fought over this so much that I just want to drop the issue.
Well, the only way your love of history could you some good was if you became a teacher and/or a historian that writes about, interprets history. I was a history minor and what I recall, it's been a while, was that history is open to interpretation, which makes it interesting to me as well..

I can see why your parents are insistent on your becoming more practical in your pursuits; we do live in a demanding time, economically. So if I was too critical of them, I apologize. I guess I just heard the pain in your voice and came to your defense.

I'll tell you what though, IF you can find something that you have a talent for and that you also love to do you will be better off than most of us are, regardless of our age. Few people, very few people get to do what they love for a living. Most would rather be here or there, but are in a business or a job that can pay them enough to live a comfortable lifestyle. The time to beat the system is now; now, meaning over the next few years, before you get married and have kids and become slave to your financial responsibilities. Like always, if you can look at this as an opportunity, as a chance to learn and grow and find some joy in your life for the long haul, you will turn a negative into a positive. Something that will serve you very well in your life.

But don't sweat it. Don't chase your creativity away with hand-wringing. Try to make peace with your parents. Get a job or some other practical interest that will put them at ease and allow you to breathe a little more regularly. It's hard to be creative, to see a better way, when you are in one battle after another. I wish you the best..

20? Wanna trade places? Not to minimize the pain. 20 is not as wonderful as we remember it 20 some years later. But what you have an abundance of is time, opportunities, the forgiveness of mistakes.. those things aren't as plentiful when you get older.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,210,330 times
Quote:
My relationship with my parents has been deteriorating since last year, particularly with my dad, mostly over college. I have been having trouble regarding math (and with that said, there is one class left before and I only need 3 credits to get my degree and it is College Mathematics.) after the last month or so my parents have grown very fed up with me and there are implications of throwing me out, my dad doesn't like me going for a degree in history to which he has straight told me if I go for history I might as well quit college, top that with the fact that we can never agree on what I'm going to do. I have tried getting a job, I've papered two towns with resume's all summer and I still have nothing, I barely have any money to my name. I'm 20 and just short of having a degree and nothing to put use to it. I have no idea where I'll be a year from now, much less 5-10 years from now.
Apparently, you are unaware that everything that happens in our life is a direct result of the choices we make. There isn't some black cloud hanging over your head that is causing your "bad luck". YOU are making decisions and choices that are resulting in everything you have written about.

Why couldn't you pass the math class? Are you retarded? No? Well, then you didn't choose to apply yourself and learn the lessons. I bet you had made up your mind even before the class started that you weren't going to pass the class.

You are very young and you haven't come to the realization that what happens in your life good or bad, is 100 percent up to YOU. Unfortunately, by the time most people figure this out, most of their life has passed them by. If you learn this lesson now, you will have a very long, happy life ahead of you.

You need to create some goals and work toward them. Otherwise you are going to live your entire life and have nothing useful to show for it except probably a couple of illegitimate children and a long history of being a victim.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM

37,166 posts, read 42,351,186 times
Such a similar story, only I'm a nice mom.
My 20 year old son is one 12 units shy of his AA Degree which he will finish up in the fall. He has NO IDEA what course of action to take after that. The two years at community college were buying him time to figure things out but he hasn't. He also doesn't have a job right now. He had a retail position with the same company for 4 years, starting when he was 16, but that ended with the company restructured at the beginning of the year. He thought it would be fairly easy to pick up another part time retail job given his experience but so far no luck. It's a tough time to be 20, I can see it. I had so many options available to me in the 70's with just a high school diploma and no particular dreams or ambitions but today...blah.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:34 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,555,670 times
ITT is a great great education, if that's what you love. But their credits often don't transfer anywhere else. So it you go there, you are stuck until you get out. If it not your dream - than don't do it.

Just finish the history degree. It's the piece of paper employers are looking for. For most companies, it fills the "Degree" box on their staffing statistics. A degree shows that you can learn and will follow through with a plan. That's about all it does - it doesn't give you any real work experience - so you are not at any disadvantage compared to other kids just out of school.

Be open minded about any job. My brother got a biology degree and couldn't find work. He worked the camera counter at a retail store. He worked hard and really pushed himself. He ended up being Vice President.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:38 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,201,061 times
Quote:
Thanks for that BKSnook, my dad's been having me revise a "plan" several times since March, I have it planned all the way up to 2015, and it's not turning out like I had hoped, and my dad is getting increasingly frustrated with it.
You're a man. Why is someone else making a plan for you. Also, you asked for input, how about acting like an adult and addressing the other input that people have given you here.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:47 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,021,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Well, they've got a fair point, right? What would you do if they stopped paying for everything tomorrow? You would have to find something to do in order to feed and house yourself, right? Probably you would work at some fast food joint for awhile, then figure out that you'll never accumulate wealth that way, or enjoy a comfortable standard of living. Then you would likely start looking at other options.

Pretend you're there now. You need to figure out something that you could enjoy doing that pays a decent wage, then pursue that. Yes, you enjoy history. But enjoying history does not pay well. A history degree doesn't generally make it easier to find employment, and especially not in the current economy. So, like the millions of other people who can't find that "dream job" of video game tester, full-time rock musician, book-reader, professional fantasy football expert, or whatever they REALLY enjoy doing, you need to find something to pay the bills and make history your hobby to indulge on the side. The military is not a bad option, nor is training that could help you get a job in repair or something. It is lovely and lucky to do something that you love as your job, but you need to keep in mind that millions of people go to jobs they aren't fond of (or at least don't consider "fun") every day in order to make ends meet. There's a reason they call it "work." The janitors who scrub toilets don't love that job. The fry guys at McDonald's don't consider that a good time. Sometimes you have to take something to eat. Right now while you're still in college would be a great time to see if there's something you could be interested that would pay better, and pursue it.
I figure your right, but the last thing I want is to be sent off to Iraq or something, THAT is my contention. I read somewhere (I think) here on City-Data, someone had pretty much stated that if you join the service other than a reason to serve your country, then it's a waste of time. I mean I don't exactly want to be a nameless redshirt that gets a faceful of IED or whatever, but that's a risk you take in that field of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Well, the only way your love of history could you some good was if you became a teacher and/or a historian that writes about, interprets history. I was a history minor and what I recall, it's been a while, was that history is open to interpretation, which makes it interesting to me as well..

I can see why your parents are insistent on your becoming more practical in your pursuits; we do live in a demanding time, economically. So if I was too critical of them, I apologize. I guess I just heard the pain in your voice and came to your defense.

I'll tell you what though, IF you can find something that you have a talent for and that you also love to do you will be better off than most of us are, regardless of our age. Few people, very few people get to do what they love for a living. Most would rather be here or there, but are in a business or a job that can pay them enough to live a comfortable lifestyle. The time to beat the system is now; now, meaning over the next few years, before you get married and have kids and become slave to your financial responsibilities. Like always, if you can look at this as an opportunity, as a chance to learn and grow and find some joy in your life for the long haul, you will turn a negative into a positive. Something that will serve you very well in your life.

But don't sweat it. Don't chase your creativity away with hand-wringing. Try to make peace with your parents. Get a job or some other practical interest that will put them at ease and allow you to breathe a little more regularly. It's hard to be creative, to see a better way, when you are in one battle after another. I wish you the best..

20? Wanna trade places? Not to minimize the pain. 20 is not as wonderful as we remember it 20 some years later. But what you have an abundance of is time, opportunities, the forgiveness of mistakes.. those things aren't as plentiful when you get older.
I know I have time for my twenties, it's just that my time around here keeps getting pushed back (especially after this whole math thing), I want to ditch Arizona like a bad habit, but the fact is for the next few years I can't, there is no affordable way I can even leave this state for a University, I originally wanted to go to a Southern state for college, dad didn't like that idea either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Apparently, you are unaware that everything that happens in our life is a direct result of the choices we make. There isn't some black cloud hanging over your head that is causing your "bad luck". YOU are making decisions and choices that are resulting in everything you have written about.

Why couldn't you pass the math class? Are you retarded? No? Well, then you didn't choose to apply yourself and learn the lessons. I bet you had made up your mind even before the class started that you weren't going to pass the class.

I took a summer class, busted my butt for 4 weeks, the teacher had the kindness to withdraw me on the last day, the fact is I have NEVER been good at advanced math classes, when my parents EXPECTED me to have that degree on July 1st, when my parents EXPECTED me to have the degree today. Both instances I studied, I didn't slack off, I did my homework every night (and did spectacular on it) it's the tests that make me lose my cool, and now I have to do a Fall semester of the class I just spent the entire last month on.

You are very young and you haven't come to the realization that what happens in your life good or bad, is 100 percent up to YOU. Unfortunately, by the time most people figure this out, most of their life has passed them by. If you learn this lesson now, you will have a very long, happy life ahead of you.

You need to create some goals and work toward them. Otherwise you are going to live your entire life and have nothing useful to show for it except probably a couple of illegitimate children and a long history of being a victim.

20yrsinBranson
20yrsinBranson, my comment is in Bold.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,021,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
ITT is a great great education, if that's what you love. But their credits often don't transfer anywhere else. So it you go there, you are stuck until you get out. If it not your dream - than don't do it.

Just finish the history degree. It's the piece of paper employers are looking for. For most companies, it fills the "Degree" box on their staffing statistics. A degree shows that you can learn and will follow through with a plan. That's about all it does - it doesn't give you any real work experience - so you are not at any disadvantage compared to other kids just out of school.

Be open minded about any job. My brother got a biology degree and couldn't find work. He worked the camera counter at a retail store. He worked hard and really pushed himself. He ended up being Vice President.
This is true. I have a sister who majored in Phys Ed and she has a great career in Human Resources.

Also, there are many history RELATED careers. You don't have to be a teacher or a writer to indulge your love of history. You could work for the Park Service and end up working at Arlington or Gettysburg or several other historic sites. You could get into publishing and specialize in history books. Heck, you could run a travel agency that specializes in history-related tours all over the world.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,035,888 times
You could get killed or maimed in the military. Plus it's a rough and tricky society with unwritten rules.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships