Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,087,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Sure does. L.O.S.E.R. No one wants to hear mundane things like eating their lunch or taking a dump. Get.A.Life.
I posted that I was doing laundry this morning-lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 01:08 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,025,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
What year do you think is the boundary between old web and new web? I believe this forum was invented at the end of 2005, which makes it the new web IMO, but the funny part is it's more like the old web. And if anything, this forum gets more popular with time.
Well, I was just using the wording "old web" based on HurricaneDC's post.

I was referring to the two separate cultural trends of firstly a pseudonymous/separate internet identity, and an internet as extension of public self that spills over online; they probably blended into one another sometime in the mid-2000s and continues now.

One when internet was young and not yet mainstream, people were not used to this anonymity. It was considered really fascinating that with a click of the button you could talk to someone from another continent. It was also a really "post-modernist" (for lack of a better word) time about crafting your own identity. Behind a screen name, it didn't matter where you worked, what country you were from and even what gender you were. It was just taken for granted that everyone crafted their own identity and engaged each other on those terms.

But it was also considered dorky that you'd escape to your online identity rather than socialize in real life.

The trend started, IMO when (it was probably inevitable) people started thinking less in terms of "crafting identity" online but just treated the internet as another place for the public life to spill over. Social networks pushed the trend forward. Myspace was a nudge towards this, but it still had an obviously more "craft your own identity" vibe. It was a bit artsy and "Bohemian" and people still treated it distinct from your "public self". Facebook, was a stronger form of this, became even where it's like a living yearbook repurposed online, carrying all your networks and cliques with you. It became even stronger with Facebook mobile and people posting their locations wherever they went, people using these media to network for business etc. where there is essentially no separation of self into online and offline.

Now, it's considered weird that you don't have an online presence (like on Facebook, Twitter or any one of these sites) and you might be seen as a geeky loner, whereas before, you were a geeky loner if you did have an online presence! How times change...

In essence, it's a continuum trend between internet as a gated community and internet as extension of daily life.

Now that was a long-winded post, but I think a lot of people are noticing this trend too.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,480,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Ever heard of being out at an event and updating from your blackberry????
But in the scheme of things, who cares what you're doing at these events unless it's a friends or family event. But there are way too many people on fb saying and doing assinine things. It's very, very boring to me. I'd rather be out there in life doing something and not texting what I'm doing. I don't have the need to let people know exactly what I'm doing at all times. As a matter of fact, I'm just the opposite, I don't want anyone to know what I'm doing because it's MY life.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I posted that I was doing laundry this morning-lol
lol..well, isn't that interesting...NOT!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,025,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Sure does. L.O.S.E.R. No one wants to hear mundane things like eating their lunch or taking a dump. Get.A.Life.
Seriously, there are people who tell one another when they are doing business in the washroom?

Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Seriously, there are people who tell one another when they are doing business in the washroom?
Yep. One of my daughter's childhood friend just posted her bf sitting on the toilet.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:16 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,783,080 times
quote : donie1: " lol..well, isn't that interesting...NOT !"

But wait ! He might have been accidentally washing whites with colored clothes !

Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,725,646 times
I think a person that updates their FB page a couple of times a day are a little too narcissistic for me.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:22 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,482,808 times
People care when celebrities do mundane things. That's the whole point of twitter.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
People care when celebrities do mundane things. That's the whole point of twitter.
Really, not people that have lives. I don't give a rat's azz if Justin Bieber eats an ice cream cone or not. And really that's not the whole point of twitter either. You're wrong on both counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships