Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,480,617 times

Advertisements

Facebook is an online extension of the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,023,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
If you choose to make it so, it will be. People who have their quarrels and rivalries will take it online.

The thing is, before I noticed, that before Facebook, online "identities" didn't seem to be taken seriously. I mean online communities aren't new but it just seemed like for other social networking sites, blogs and forums etc. that came before, it was acknowledged that the online you is the online you, and separate from who you are offline.

But it's now that Facebook that seems to be treated more as an extension of the public you. Don't know if Facebook really is that exceptional but there does seem to be this trend.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Humpalot View Post
Facebook is to City-Data Forum as cartoons are to the Discovery Channel.
City data users can use facebook, and cartoon watchers can watch the Discovery Channel.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
City data users can use facebook, and cartoon watchers can watch the Discovery Channel.
I think that the actual Discovery Channel shows aren't as good as they used to be, but that's beside the point.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
If you choose to make it so, it will be. People who have their quarrels and rivalries will take it online.

The thing is, before I noticed, that before Facebook, online "identities" didn't seem to be taken seriously. I mean online communities aren't new but it just seemed like for other social networking sites, blogs and forums etc. that came before, it was acknowledged that the online you is the online you, and separate from who you are offline.

But it's now that Facebook that seems to be treated more as an extension of the public you. Don't know if Facebook really is that exceptional but there does seem to be this trend.
When I said facebook is an online extension of the real world, I didn't just mean in a negative way. Yes, facebook can used for online quarrels. But it can also be used as an online extension of the real world in a positive way. Facebook makes it easier for real world friends to stay in touch.

The way I see it, there's no reason why facebook is NOT the real world. The stuff on people's profiles just makes it easier for people to find out what's going on. In other words, facebook makes the real world and other people's lives more accessible online.

I think the reason online communities weren't taken as seriously was because computers weren't as popular back then.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
The way I see it, there's no reason why facebook is NOT the real world. The stuff on people's profiles just makes it easier for people to find out what's going on. In other words, facebook makes the real world and other people's lives more accessible online.

I think the reason online communities weren't taken as seriously was because computers weren't as popular back then.
Well, I'm even talking about the early 2000s. It seemed like online communities like discussion boards or just say chatting online were seen as still geeky, relative to say talking on the phone. When the social networking sites came along, I think it boosted the popularity of communicating online and made them a bit more mainstream. Could be just my perceptions though.

I mean the fact that businesses promote themselves now by encouraging people to follow them on Facebook or Twitter is sort of telling.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:22 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,479,465 times
Quote:
What planet is your real world? In my real world, fb doesn't even come close to reality.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:24 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,479,465 times
Unfortunately, I have to use Twitter and fb for business purposes but I so hate it.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,173,262 times
most people on this forum would have more success dating if they didnt worry about stupid meaningless things like this

Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Well, I'm even talking about the early 2000s. It seemed like online communities like discussion boards or just say chatting online were seen as still geeky, relative to say talking on the phone. When the social networking sites came along, I think it boosted the popularity of communicating online and made them a bit more mainstream. Could be just my perceptions though.

I mean the fact that businesses promote themselves now by encouraging people to follow them on Facebook or Twitter is sort of telling.
You said you're in your 20s, but that could be anywhere from 20 to 29. How old are you? The only reason I ask is because I wonder when you were in high school.

I'm 19 and I remember myspace just became popular the summer between middle school and high school for me (2005).

It's amazing how much technology has changed since the early 2000s. People thought the year 2000 was so high tech (Y2K). But 2000 is old school compared to now.

I had an uncle (RIP) that was into computers and the internet in the late 90s and early 2000s. In fact, he had a vanity plate with his screen name. And he liked to go to internet parties. My relatives thought something was off about that. But now, people think something is off if they find out you're NOT on facebook.

But I remember my classmates using AOL Instant Messenger around 2002, so maybe the internet was cool back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships