Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,744,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
At work today a co-worker told me that she hates being called "Mrs." I asked her why and she replied she is her own person and is not "owned" by any man. She told me she'd rather be called Ms. than Mrs. And why do women have three options? Miss, Ms. and Mrs...or worse yet even, Ma'am! Ma'am is some old woman.

Now men have Mr. (and you can't tell if they're married...whereas Mrs. you can). And men are called "Sir" which can really sounds more respectful an not old-ladyish like "Ma'am".

The only reason she did take his last name was for the sake of the children she knew they'd have one day. She told me she's always believed this way...even as a young girl.

No man owns a woman, but when they marry, the man assumes some level of responsibility for the woman, and respect is due to him as the husband and head of household. If she is unable to grasp this fundamental truth of marriage, she may have a little bigger problem than the dilemma of how should people address her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,060,510 times
Head of household? fundamental truths? Not everyone who gets married is a Promise Keeper.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM

5,988 posts, read 10,499,790 times
I got a license to ride, but no certificate of title with mine. Think of it as a lease - but not binding.

Anyway, I think the "Mrs." title is becoming more and more obsolete, though many still use it and value it. We have different last names, so it doesn't work all that well for us anyway. "Ms." works just fine for her, if one is needed.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:17 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,321,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Excuse me? What year is this again?
You'll have to help me out here. Do you want to know what year it was when you ASKED this question? Or what year it is now?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,617,119 times
he never did own her and he does certainly not now. the exact opposite is true.
do u think if wives were slaves , there would be 42 million divorces since 1975 (no fault) 70% filed by women?
she is the owner and trainer, no fault law, community property law and credit law made it so, but men continue to sell themselves into slavery.
stop it. stay a handsome prince forever and keep your assets, do not marry.
this op reminds me of the angry AA threads that talk about being oppressed by the cruel white slave master--- while they beat unconscious old ladies on the subway, "knockout king" and "gooning".

Old 01-17-2012, 01:40 PM

499 posts, read 582,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
When I got married I could not wait to be called Mrs........ It is an honor to take my husbands name. We have been married almost 13 years and I still get a kick out of someone calling me Mrs.......... I have in no way lost my personality, I am still my own person, he does not own me. I have never understood while a women would not want to take her husbands name.
Well said. I agree with you !00%

Old 01-17-2012, 01:55 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,060,510 times
Maybe she just likes her own name or is used to having her name or doesn't care for his name or doesn't see having the same last name as remotely important to their relationship?

I think it's great that you are happy with your decision about your name, bur why do you need to question why other women feel differently?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,322,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What woman only owns 7 pairs of shoes???

Yes - my husband owns me. He keeps the pink slip in the glove box with the papers for the car.

Does he take you out to get you serviced? . Sorry couldn't resist

Old 01-17-2012, 01:59 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,322,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
When I got married I could not wait to be called Mrs........ It is an honor to take my husbands name. We have been married almost 13 years and I still get a kick out of someone calling me Mrs.......... I have in no way lost my personality, I am still my own person, he does not own me. I have never understood while a women would not want to take her husbands name.

Because i like MY name and he can take mine instead :-P.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM

884 posts, read 1,408,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i have yet to meet a woman that would allow themselves to be owned, and if i could "own" a woman, id definitely want to buy the extended warrantee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Or at least a money back guarantee....lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I'd get one that came with free upgrades and a no questions asked return policy.
Don't forget the instruction manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships