Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:17 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,477,498 times

Advertisements

A friend was in a very similar situation - an asexual husband, but otherwise a decent guy. With his approval, she got a live-in boyfriend, and that has been working well for all of them for quite a few years now.

However, it's probably easier and far less complicated to leave him and start over. Your daughters are adults - they only need to know that you had issues and couldn't deal with them any longer. They don't need details, but let them know he wasn't abusive or anything that would harm their relationship with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,911 times
How is the rest of the marriage? How does he treat you? I need more info before sharing my opinion. If he is in all other respects a perfect husband, I don't know if I would leave him. Have a few discreet affairs maybe, but not leave him.....especially if he makes a ton of money.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:57 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,609 times
You daughters are grown and should be more than able to handle you divorcing their step-father.

My father and step-mother came very close to divorce this past year. Luckily, it looks like they have been able to work things out. They are in their mid 60s and she has been my step mother for over 25 years. It would have been sad but I'd rather them split and both be happy if that is what they would have decided to do.

What I'm trying to say is that your daughters are not small children. They will be able to handle this and I'm sure they will support you.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:00 PM

37,146 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Why haven't you addressed this earlier? Like the first week you were married? You obviously got something out of this marriage enough to stay so long.

If you want to get divorced then go ahead and do it. Or go to therapy.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 PM

442 posts, read 966,135 times
Do you really think your daughters don't know what was NOT happening in the bedroom???????

Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 PM

23,229 posts, read 29,071,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why haven't you addressed this earlier? Like the first week you were married? You obviously got something out of this marriage enough to stay so long.
These questions need answers, although I'm betting the truth will not come out. If he's a workaholic, there's a possibility, over the years, that some financial assets have been amassed, and it's now a good time to end the celibacy, take the loot and live happily after with a gigolo, an opportunity to make up for lost time.

Workaholics and alcoholics wear the same clothes. The terms are interchangeable. Why pick one over the other?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:18 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,928,945 times
I don't think being asexual is the root of your problems OP. I mean you suffered a mental break and you stated you were unhappy with this marriage. Its probably more so that you feel hes not giving you any attention or affection. He's emotionally distant so it makes you lonely. Has he always been like this or only more so as time passed or perhaps after the birth of your first kid?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,574,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

If you want to get divorced then go ahead and do it. Or go to therapy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
These questions need answers, although I'm betting the truth will not come out. If he's a workaholic, there's a possibility, over the years, that some financial assets have been amassed, and it's now a good time to end the celibacy, take the loot and live happily after with a gigolo, an opportunity to make up for lost time.

Workaholics and alcoholics wear the same clothes. The terms are interchangeable. Why pick one over the other?
I don't agree with either of your assumptions. But it does leave the question "why now".
You could ask an abused women the same questions and surmise the same answers.
Its not always about ulterior motives. Her family may have been her entire life and her husband the only means of financial support. Her girls are gone and the reality of aloneness struck. Some people are really this passive and self esteem that low.

Last edited by virgode; 11-07-2010 at 02:17 AM..

Old 11-07-2010, 03:44 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times
Just leave if you want to, do not discuss the reasons for leaving with your children. Simply state that things did not work out. I doubt that they will ask anyway.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,193,162 times
It is definitely NONE of your childrens' business why. If you have been unhappy, they knew anyway. You were just teaching them that it's ok to live in an unhappy relationship. They will probably respect you more for having the cajones to seek happiness for yourself. Become a strong role model for them and for yourself as well. Once you get the gumption to start making yourself happy, it's amazing how many positives just fall into place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships