Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,193,944 times

Advertisements

Women control men with sex.

Men control women with their insecurities.

Fair game.

Disclaimer: I dn not approve of such games. I'm just an outside observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,400,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
lol... allow me to elaborate... would you really date some penniless loser who has no job and no savings?
A lot more women do that than date rich men.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:29 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,839,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
Haha it might be a little awkward to make a big deal out of "you looked nice", but I'll give it a shot!
How about stopping in your tracks and laying a nice, seductive kiss on him when he compliments you? Chances are he'll start dishing them out more

Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,028,557 times
Quote:
lol... allow me to elaborate... would you really date some penniless loser who has no job and no savings?
I'm not sure. Exactly how hung is he, again?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,701,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
A lot more women do that than date rich men.
They're either dating someone who has a stable job with not much income, or they're about the same caliber as those who don't bother to get/keep a job or any money. And don't act like those women in the latter group wouldn't date a rich guy in a heartbeat.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,400,036 times
Quote:
They're either dating someone who has a stable job with not much income, or they're about the same caliber as those who don't bother to get/keep a job or any money. And don't act like those women in the latter group wouldn't date a rich guy in a heartbeat.
There's no such thing as a stable job or financial security. I'm guessing you haven't figured that out yet?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,707 times
mostlyharmless - I'm curious to learn why do you feel so strongly that he really loves you despite his inability to express it to you?

Would you care to elaborate on that, please? Because on one hand you're telling us that you know that he really, really loves you and then in the next sentence you tell us that you feel insecure about it. Which is it?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:37 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,707 times
Quote:
All the time. At least daily. Most of my compliments are physical because I'm a lot more comfortable with sex than I am with emotions, but I do congratulate him on his accomplishments and tell him that I appreciate him fairly often, too.
It sounds to me like you're meeting all of his physical and emotional needs but he is not reciprocating.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:30 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,014,927 times
My husband was like this, rarely gave compliments. It was so rare that when he did do it, I knew it was sincere and appreciated it. I have a hard time giving compliments too so I understood his not being able to do it well. It never really bothered me because I got compliments from other men a lot. Come-ons? [shrug] Maybe, who cares. I didn't take them that seriously anyway but they were always appreciated.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,795,162 times
Quote:
I'm in my first LTR. He's introverted and generally uncomfortable 'saying' things that are emotional in any way. I get virtually no compliments (except actually during sex). Sometimes I get "you looked nice today", but very rarely. This has got me feeling very insecure. I know he loves me but I have to keep repeating that to myself because he offers me zero reassurance. We've talked about it, but no change. Am I being needy?

I have nothing to compare this to, so I was wondering, do many men feel uncomfortable saying nice things? How often do other men feel the urge to compliment? How personal do these compliments get (ex 'you're hot' versus 'I love the way yours eyes light up when...')?

A question to other women: in my situation, would you feel insecure? I'm generally fairly confident but lately I feel like a wreck.
I don't think it's intentional. When you are introverted, you learn to live without compliments or attention from others yourself. So I don't think he even recognizes other people's need for verbal reassurance. It's nothing personal. At least, that is my guess.

Introverts tend to be emotionally self-sufficient and can be genuinely perplexed why others need more compliments than they do. I was an introvert when younger and I noticed the extroverts I am around now seem to rely on compliments more than I ever did. I am genuinely perplexed by it. I notice that my female friends seem to get cranky when I haven't given them positive compliments or attention for a awhile but I can't say for sure if it's related.

But I still genuinely like them whether or not I give them compliments or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships