Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,480,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
I'm sorry if there has been some confusion. I wanted to know if his behavior is highly unusual and if I'm over-reacting, as well as some suggestions as how to fix the issue in the relationship. I'm not considering leaving him and I never said that I was considering that...
You can certainly talk with him about it... I personally don't particularly care for things of this nature I would have to ask for, but others feel differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,150,292 times
Quote:
I'm in my first LTR. He's introverted and generally uncomfortable 'saying' things that are emotional in any way. I get virtually no compliments (except actually during sex). Sometimes I get "you looked nice today", but very rarely. This has got me feeling very insecure. I know he loves me but I have to keep repeating that to myself because he offers me zero reassurance. We've talked about it, but no change. Am I being needy?

I have nothing to compare this to, so I was wondering, do many men feel uncomfortable saying nice things? How often do other men feel the urge to compliment? How personal do these compliments get (ex 'you're hot' versus 'I love the way yours eyes light up when...')?

A question to other women: in my situation, would you feel insecure? I'm generally fairly confident but lately I feel like a wreck.

Some men are just clueless in this area, they have no idea what you want from them. And yes, it is normal to lead to the woman feeling a little insecure

I think you have to be very direct with him and give him some guidance on what specifically to say. I know, I know, it's a little like having to pick out your own birthday or Christmas present. But to get what you want you gotta do what it takes.

So give him some concrete examples of what you want to hear and ask me to please try to put them to use on a regular basis

Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 PM

30 posts, read 46,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Some men are just clueless in this area, they have no idea what you want from them. And yes, it is normal to lead to the woman feeling a little insecure

I think you have to be very direct with him and give him some guidance on what specifically to say. I know, I know, it's a little like having to pick out your own birthday or Christmas present. But to get what you want you gotta do what it takes.

So give him some concrete examples of what you want to hear and ask me to please try to put them to use on a regular basis
Thank you! I've been trying to avoid that solution because I think in the short-term, it will make me feel worse ("I actually have to write him a script to get him to say something kind?"), but in the long-term it might just be a good stepping stone.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,480,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yeah, yeah, LM... I remember reading somewhere "advice" about how to tell him to hug you or to hold your hand! Well, "French that" (just heard that today from a "proper" coworker ) is all I have to say!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,221,151 times
Quote:
I'm in my first LTR. He's introverted and generally uncomfortable 'saying' things that are emotional in any way. I get virtually no compliments (except actually during sex). Sometimes I get "you looked nice today", but very rarely. This has got me feeling very insecure. I know he loves me but I have to keep repeating that to myself because he offers me zero reassurance. We've talked about it, but no change. Am I being needy?

I have nothing to compare this to, so I was wondering, do many men feel uncomfortable saying nice things? How often do other men feel the urge to compliment? How personal do these compliments get (ex 'you're hot' versus 'I love the way yours eyes light up when...')?

A question to other women: in my situation, would you feel insecure? I'm generally fairly confident but lately I feel like a wreck.
how often do you compliment him?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 PM

30 posts, read 46,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
how often do you compliment him?
All the time. At least daily. Most of my compliments are physical because I'm a lot more comfortable with sex than I am with emotions, but I do congratulate him on his accomplishments and tell him that I appreciate him fairly often, too.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,442,276 times
The best compliment a man can ever get:

Honey, I like your hair. Preferably, left on my Facebook pages.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yeah, yeah, LM... I remember reading somewhere "advice" about how to tell him to hug you or to hold your hand! Well, "French that" (just heard that today from a "proper" coworker ) is all I have to say!
Hey, some men just don't know this stuff - for whatever reason it just doesn't come naturally to them. There is nothing wrong with the woman in their life "educating" them

Old 10-21-2010, 08:09 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,406,589 times
Quote:
If your guy is anything like me, he's probably thinking exactly what you want to hear, but he feels awkward expressing it. I've never been comfortable giving compliments. For some reason I always think I'm going to sound like an idiot or worse, a creep!

I don't know what you're 'talk' entailed. But if my girl told me how much it means to her to actually 'hear' compliments, and assured me that it doesn't matter if it comes out all wrong. I'd definitely make an effort

Old 10-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I've been trying to avoid that solution because I think in the short-term, it will make me feel worse ("I actually have to write him a script to get him to say something kind?"), but in the long-term it might just be a good stepping stone.
Exactly. This in essence is the strength of a good relationship - being open to learning things from one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships