Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,417,540 times

Advertisements

I've heard that the one irresistable pickup line that works like a charm these days is...
"I have a job."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,970,942 times
I will have to disagree with the "Hi...my name is.... what's yours?"

The reason is if the guy isn't good looking he has no chance.

Here is how it would go:

"Hi...My name is...what's your name?"

"I'm married."

Sometimes a guy has to go out there a bit to get her attention. I'm not saying these lines are going to work but you have to have something more to say than your name. Even if you get to that point and don't get shot down what else will you say? "You come here often?" How lame is that?

So the plan is just to be yourself and be friendly.

Ladies be nice when you are letting them know you are not interested. The guy is trying really hard to talk to you and finally gets the nerve and you blast him isn't going to help his ego.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 AM

404 posts, read 702,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I will have to disagree with the "Hi...my name is.... what's yours?"

The reason is if the guy isn't good looking he has no chance.
The problem with introducing yourself, is that unless you have some obvious reason to talk to her (like, commenting on something funny that just happened), she will end up thinking: why is this guy talking to me? where is this going?

So things go like:

Him: - Hi, I'm Mike (whatever name)
Her: - Hi ... So?
Both: - <ackward silence or bad excuses>

Of course, like you said here, being good looking gives you a better chance because women will always let you get away with more.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:56 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,018,602 times
As with everything there are two sides (sometimes there are even more than that).

I won't deny women actually have it easier in some respects when it comes to dating and the whole thing about approaching and I'll certainly agree that a lot of women can be pretty harsh about shooting a guy down. Lots of women justify this with complaints about how they're ALWAYS being approached with rudeness and crude remarks, but that particular math just doesn't add up because IF it was true then a simply "hello" really WOULD be enough to attract her attention merely based on the fact that it would be so different than the approaches to which she was accustomed.

I DO see (and have even experienced) the rude response to hello. That's just uncalled for.

However, the thing guys tend to forget is that sure, this woman has whatever looks initially attracted him, but if she IS that rude, wouldn't he be better off... well, simply being grateful that she's given this kind of social signal and he can now realize that if she's this rude to a complete stranger who simply said hello then just imagine what it would be like to have her for a girlfriend!

Many will argue that such a woman should be somehow "slammed" and Lord knows there's a whole thread full of bitter and indignant dweebs bragging about their "game" over in the approach her thread; but if a man doesn't want to appear a pushover after a woman makes a rude retort to a simply hello then wouldn't it be as simple as speaking with some dignity?

"If that's how people respond to a decent fellow who simply says hello where you live then this really has worked out for the best. Good evening."

And walk away, dignity intact and possessor of the final word in that particular exchange, NOT a jerk for dishing out some kind of mean line or insult.

The thing to remember is that every woman who says NO may not be telling you to go jump in a lake.

She could be having a bad day/week/month.
She could be married and telling you the truth to save you both time and trouble.
She simply may not be in the mood for anything other than a night out with her girlfriends/friends/coworkers.

Now we all know if women are in a club setting they didn't come there because they're angry and hating life; however, that doesn't mean they're automatically approachable either. Everyone is so bent out of shape over the idea of woman as chooser they've kind of let go of the notion that a woman's response, positive or negative, could serve as a clear sign of whether or not she's worth YOUR time.

It's a mutual world out there, fellows; don't trick yourself into thinking ANYONE is entitled to the seat of power, you OR her. If you approach her thinking she's the chooser, you've already handed her all the power, when in truth she only holds 50 percent of it, she IS free to say "no". You hold the other 50.

For the guys who say that's not fair and want to nit-pick... well, football has to be played a certain way and I'm not allowed to bring a club to hit bigger players, am I?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carra View Post
The problem with introducing yourself, is that unless you have some obvious reason to talk to her (like, commenting on something funny that just happened), she will end up thinking: why is this guy talking to me? where is this going?

So things go like:

Him: - Hi, I'm Mike (whatever name)
Her: - Hi ... So?
Both: - <ackward silence or bad excuses>

Of course, like you said here, being good looking gives you a better chance because women will always let you get away with more.

Hahaha...so the ugly guys approach her from behind and say something witty to make her laugh. When she turns around she may not have time to say, "OMG!!!What happened to YOUR FACE????"

Anyways, I used to watch from a distance and see what sort of person she is. I have seen guys go up and get shot down by women. So...that's when I would make my move...

"What's the matter? That guy wasn't your type or what?"
"Hahaha! No...I just didn't feel like dancing with him."

Ice Broken.

I'll tell you, I met many women like that...

Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Quote:
Even if you get to that point and don't get shot down what else will you say? "You come here often?" How lame is that?
Come on funnyman, thats not even funny. Try, "do you live around here or ride a bicycle?"

Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,904,950 times
I never really did pickup lines, always preferring a more indirect approach. I always found if I could make her laugh, I was in. Many times, just by her observing me from a distance, she'd want to know me. Of course I was just being me

If I could get her interested first, then mildly break the ice, I wouldn't have to do much talking at all. In fact, she'd carry the conversation.

I was at the DMV and this attractive woman took the only seat left next to me. I didn't say anything, just sat and waited my turn to get my picture. So the DMV woman called me up to get my photo and I smiled for the camera. Then she called me up to her desk and I had to lean over and around her desk to "confirm my picture." I was taken back because it was an exceptionally good picture of me!

I couldn't help but say, "Oooo...looking sexy! Better than my last one...looked like I was trying to squeeze out a poop."

Then I looked over at attractive girl with a smirk, "I had my poopy face going on."

DMV lady is all but peeing herself while she is printing out my new license then she looks at and compares the new with the old and breaks out laughing again

Then I took my seat beside attractive girl again waiting for paper work with my two licenses in my hand and I could tell she wanted to see them so I handed them to her. She's about tearing up and I embarrassingly say you shouldn't laugh at that, you'll be all red for your picture.

Ice broke

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM

362 posts, read 392,976 times
Wow. This was an awkward thread. The females who commented on here about how 'rockin' (and enlightened?) they were, were about as cheesey as the pick up lines. Immodesty is about as attractive as a bad pick up line. They were right, however, about the direct approach.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 PM

4,534 posts, read 8,349,009 times
Hi, my name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,326,847 times
'how much does a polar bear weigh?"

'enough to break the ice'

SMOOOOOTH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships