Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 06:48 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,259 times

Advertisements

With health officials advising social distancing to help slow the spread of Covid-19 and schools and offices closing for the next few weeks, having a well-stocked pantry and a plan for how to use it is a must. Here are our suggestions for what to stock and what to cook for the next few weeks.

The list below covers a lot of ground, but isn’t exhaustive. Don’t feel like you need to stock up on everything. If your family doesn’t ever really eat yogurt or frozen shrimp, no need to stock those items. Double up on the items that you DO eat regularly so you know you’ll have good food choices for the coming days and weeks.

How to Stock Your Pantry for Social Distancing (+ Recipes!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 03:08 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
well...the panic has begun.... I should say in maine…

this is a good case study on the American people..

the big cities...so far removed from being self-sufficient...on a delicate balance..
when people are packed in like sardines....any interruption of "normalcy" is a catastrophe...and not to mention most of us have been so spoiled ….

those out in rural--out in the country ….may not be in direct panic of this …..but yes indirectly we see this panic on the news and empty shelves..and think …..if we don't get it now (provisions) then it wont be available in 2-3 weeks because these folks are hysterical...

beyond the popular panic items.....get some gloves....the rubber gloves.....if this keeps snowballing ….not only will you see more masks....if they can get them...but gloves...
be careful out in public.....on the usual...door handles...etc.....and don't touch your face with those gloves on ….change gloves in the car...or take them off...

Old 03-14-2020, 06:25 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Isn't there a thread about hamstring on the food side of the forum already? Now at least we have a new word.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:23 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
When I read social distancing, I thought it was going to be a beans/legumes cookbook. Those usually distance people socially.

These panic hoarder types are a pox on our society. "Better get me MINE" is their mantra - this would be fine if they didn't take it to such a pathetic extreme.

I foresee even more food go to waste in our country in the next several months with all these alarmist shop-a-thons. Rice/flour will get bugs, meat will get freezer burn, cheese will mold, even bottled water will taste like plastic if stored indefinitely.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:53 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I shopped yesterday, on our regular shopping day. DH and I are in our 70s, and so we had decided to be responsible and “hunker down” for our health’s sake.

So, we saw about 3 or 4 times as many shoppers at the store than normal. And their carts were full or rapidly filling. But panic stricken? No. Determined and serious, yes. These were people heeding the warning signs, and shopping for their families.

And then, after we got home, and had lunch, the axe begin to fall. Meetings of over 250 were canceled in our county. Our church canceled upcoming services. Another two were diagnosed with the virus in our county. And then all schools in our state will be closed as of Tuesday next, for 6 weeks.

Tell me those shoppers were not wise to buy when they did. Tell me they were panic stricken sheep who are victims.

This behavior happens when there is a national crisis, such as in declaration of war—or impending plague. It is normal. People are reacting defensively.

And, sure we stocked up, as we have been doing for several weeks. I think we can survive for two weeks as it is now.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:51 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Since I buy in bulk (to save money) I have no reason to rush to the store to stock up. I did go into Walmart because I needed an eggplant, but there were plenty of eggplants to choose from. Apparently, no one is hoarding eggplants.

I sure remember lots of ridicule over the years for people who are preppers. The laughter appears to be coming from the other side, now.

None of my internet buddies from the homesteading forums are rushing out to stock up. However, there are some really funny jokes making the rounds about TP hoarding.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:56 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
To stock up for social distancing, just buy what your family normally eats, plus maybe a 25 pound bag of brown rice. Unless you eat nothing but green salads and if that is the case, your social distancing will be for short periods because you will have to go out for fresh produce every week. Maybe you can substitute frozen broccoli?

It's a waste of money to buy a bunch of food that your family doesn't like and won't eat.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:01 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I have a few bags of legumes & some soup base in a jar, plus a bag or two of rice, so we can live simply, if we have to. I won't be buying anything I know we won't eat or use.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:29 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
having a well-stocked pantry and a plan for how to use it is a must.
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to thin out the overstocked freezer and cupboard. Other than perishables, I should be good for several weeks. I'll probably have to search for recipes for some of the "why the heck did I buy this" things hiding in the back!

Old 03-15-2020, 08:52 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since I buy in bulk (to save money) I have no reason to rush to the store to stock up. I did go into Walmart because I needed an eggplant, but there were plenty of eggplants to choose from. Apparently, no one is hoarding eggplants.

I sure remember lots of ridicule over the years for people who are preppers. The laughter appears to be coming from the other side, now.

None of my internet buddies from the homesteading forums are rushing out to stock up. However, there are some really funny jokes making the rounds about TP hoarding.
Those of us in self sufficiency have also endured the uninformed barbs from those that believe that nothing bad could ever happen to them.
Since I normally have supplies of food to last until the next harvest, food isn't an issue for me and no panic buying.

Aside from the wild plants, animals and fish I routinely utilize, I have heritage seeds for my garden, fruit bushes that produce without replanting, and I have around a ton of available beef walking around the pasture.
I can buy or trade for grain by the ton, wheat, barley, oats, rye from my neighbors. I was planning on getting some heritage turkeys to start a reproducible flock, more chickens and some rabbits.

I have thought about a small flock of sheep for wool and fabric, but I have a neighbor that already does that and weaves some increadable fabric. I might plant some flax, the seeds are super nutritious, the oil from the seeds is better known as linseed oil, but the stalks have fibers that makes linen.

I'd love to raise some hogs too, but it's cheaper and easier to trade some of my handmade tools I blacksmith for them.

Being self sufficient is fantastic anytime, but when there's an emergency it's even better. And living in a community of like minded people means we all benefit all the time.

Sure better than getting in a fistfight over toilet paper in shop Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes