Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 02:53 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,802,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Those of us in self sufficiency have also endured the uninformed barbs from those that believe that nothing bad could ever happen to them.
Since I normally have supplies of food to last until the next harvest, food isn't an issue for me and no panic buying.

Aside from the wild plants, animals and fish I routinely utilize, I have heritage seeds for my garden, fruit bushes that produce without replanting, and I have around a ton of available beef walking around the pasture.
I can buy or trade for grain by the ton, wheat, barley, oats, rye from my neighbors. I was planning on getting some heritage turkeys to start a reproducible flock, more chickens and some rabbits.

I have thought about a small flock of sheep for wool and fabric, but I have a neighbor that already does that and weaves some increadable fabric. I might plant some flax, the seeds are super nutritious, the oil from the seeds is better known as linseed oil, but the stalks have fibers that makes linen.

I'd love to raise some hogs too, but it's cheaper and easier to trade some of my handmade tools I blacksmith for them.

Being self sufficient is fantastic anytime, but when there's an emergency it's even better. And living in a community of like minded people means we all benefit all the time.

Sure better than getting in a fistfight over toilet paper in shop Mart.
Speaking of toilet paper, do you make your own or is it the old Sears & Roebuck catalog or maybe a corn cob?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 07:50 PM

6,766 posts, read 8,655,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Speaking of toilet paper, do you make your own or is it the old Sears & Roebuck catalog or maybe a corn cob?
Newspapers. Only good for firestarting in the woodstove and wiping your butt.

Seriously though, Mullen leaves work very well, but I buy my supplies in bulk when I shop, so 50 lbs of coffee,( I make my own teas and add roasted chicory or dandelion root to my coffee to stretch it), 100 lbs of sugar, 100 lbs of table salt and 50 lbs of curing salt, and usually around 50 packages of 12 roll toilet paper among other staples I can't readily grow or make at home. Since I just went shopping in December, I'm stocked for about another 4 months or so on toilet paper.
Paper towels plug sewers, so good thing I have an outhouse for backup huh?

When you only go to town every 2 or 3 months, you buy what you need and use what you have.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:22 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,324,891 times
Quote:
Too early in the year for corn cobs and no more S&R catalogs but do have a lot of magazines on hand.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:39 AM

25,105 posts, read 11,493,415 times
Totally OT - does anyone else miss the "wish catalogues"?

I am familiar with BYOB but it may turn into BYTP.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:45 PM

1,159 posts, read 630,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
When I read social distancing, I thought it was going to be a beans/legumes cookbook. Those usually distance people socially.
haha

Old 03-16-2020, 05:50 PM

8,746 posts, read 4,938,873 times
Since my wife is a fairly talented cook, we sort of did a legos approach. Buy several kinds of basics which can be put together in new or interesting ways. Add some frozen stuff and basic snacks, plus canned soups, and staying in the house doesn’t mean dinner time has to suck.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:35 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,569,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I am familiar with BYOB but it may turn into BYTP.
BYOTP , BYTP could be on a Tee shirt! Good one!Oh, I just realized. I bet it will get stolen from public bathrooms.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,399,622 times
I do think it is unwise to buy things you don't really want to eat. I bought ingredients and staples that we do eat. I wish I had bought more cheese, though. And some ice cream.

But, you know, I can get along for 10 more days.

I want to get to the store early next time. As in close to opening time.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:24 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,802,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Newspapers. Only good for firestarting in the woodstove and wiping your butt.

Seriously though, Mullen leaves work very well, but I buy my supplies in bulk when I shop, so 50 lbs of coffee,( I make my own teas and add roasted chicory or dandelion root to my coffee to stretch it), 100 lbs of sugar, 100 lbs of table salt and 50 lbs of curing salt, and usually around 50 packages of 12 roll toilet paper among other staples I can't readily grow or make at home. Since I just went shopping in December, I'm stocked for about another 4 months or so on toilet paper.
Paper towels plug sewers, so good thing I have an outhouse for backup huh?

When you only go to town every 2 or 3 months, you buy what you need and use what you have.
LOL I was just cutting up with you. I figured everyone would know that by my reference to the Sears & Roebuck catalogs.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:44 PM

6,766 posts, read 8,655,169 times
Quote:
LOL I was just cutting up with you. I figured everyone would know that by my reference to the Sears & Roebuck catalogs.
I grew up on a ranch a long ways from town so I have practical experience with the old catalogs.

I figured you were cracking wise, but I thought I'd throw some practical information in too. Mullen has been called the toilet paper plant for years because of it's large soft leaves. Once spring greenup gets going, it's a viable option if the TP shortage is still going.

To the op, I collect and use a lot of wild plants in my menus. That can be a real benefit if you can't go to the store to get food. Maybe a nice mess of dandelion greens could perk up that plate of beans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes