Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:21 PM

49 posts, read 83,833 times

Advertisements

This has easily got to be one of the most racist articles I have read, and I am black.

The Associated Press: Tiger's troubles widen his distance from blacks

"The Grinch's Theme Song" didn't stop there: "The question everyone in America wants to ask you is, how many white women does one brother waaant?"

"There are two layers of suspicion toward him," Van Kerkhove said. "One toward the apparent pattern in the race of his partners, and the second in the way he sees himself. ... People have been giving him the side-eye for a while."

"Had Barack had a white wife, I would have thought twice about voting for him," Johnson Cooper said.

"There is a call for loyalty that is stronger in some ways than in other racial communities," said the author of the study, George Yancey, a sociology professor at the University of North Texas and author of the book "Just Don't Marry One."

Why does it matter who you date or marry? Come on people!

Edit:

I should also add that I am a big golf fan, and have been a big tiger woods fan even since high school. Even though I am disappointed in what he did, I will still support him if he continues to play well on the greens.

Last edited by aerospace320; 12-06-2009 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,254,634 times
I believe the author of the article, Jesse Washington, is himself, black. Anyone know, for sure?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:29 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,602,739 times
African Americans that are saying ""Had Barack had a white wife, I would have thought twice about voting for him" or that Tiger Woods should have been cheating on his wife with black women have NO respect from me.

African American people should be last ones talking about race or discrimination. Seriously.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM

11,765 posts, read 14,725,824 times
You mean this might reduce support for professional golfing in the black community? I bet the PGA is pretty worried about that.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:38 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,702,448 times
tiger woods has as much connection with AA urban america as does mr obama. how many mistresses he has and what color really does not hit home on the hood very much.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,889,188 times
Who said he's black?

Quote:
Earl, a retired United States Army lieutenant colonel and Vietnam War veteran, was of mixed African American, Chinese and Native American ancestry. Kultida (née Punsawad), originally from Thailand, is of mixed Thai, Chinese, and Dutch ancestry. This makes Woods himself one-quarter Chinese, one-quarter Thai, one-quarter African American, one-eighth Native American, and one-eighth Dutch.
Tiger Woods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,625,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I thought the news media were making a big deal about him being a black man winning the golf championship. Now that he's messed up, they're denying the black side of him.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,608,538 times
Tiger Woods has never really been socialized in the Black community.

The perception in the Black community among some is that his father, Earl Woods, wanted his son to identify with anything other than being Black. Earl Woods also "overstated" his mixed race heritage.

I know that it will not be popular to say but there are some Black people (and other races too but we are talking about Blacks) that marry interracially and have interracial children in an attempt to wash away the Blackness.

For the most part, the Black community doesn't really see Tiger Woods as "Black" because he doesn't really see himself as "Black" - who he chose as mistresses reflects that fact - not that chosing Black women to cheat with would have been any source of pride either.

Tiger Woods also didn't cheat with any Asian women either, are they supposed to be "upset" now, too?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,271,986 times
Yeah, this is just...stupid. Who cares who he married or if he's not "totally" black? I'm sorry, when you look at him, he looks black, does he not? I don't agree w/any race looking down on someone for dating or marrying someone of a different race than themselves, it's ignorant.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,254,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Yeah, this is just...stupid. Who cares who he married or if he's not "totally" black? I'm sorry, when you look at him, he looks black, does he not? I don't agree w/any race looking down on someone for dating or marrying someone of a different race than themselves, it's ignorant.

Nevertheless, it happens and it cuts across all races, ethnic groups, religions and nationalities. . A nurse friend of mine from the Philippines, who was half Filipino and half Chinese, married a pure Chinese man. His mother was opposed to the marriage at first because she wanted her son to marry a pure Chinese girl. Another female acquaintance of mine, of northern European descent, married into an Armenian family. His family was not happy about it either. So, it should come as no surprise to learn that blacks can have the same feelings that other groups do about such things as "marrying outside" one's race/culture/ethnic group/religion/whatever.

Many CD members could probably give their own examples of this.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 12-06-2009 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies