Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 AM

40,990 posts, read 49,352,281 times

Advertisements

Funny you talk EMF. Most new subdivisions have buried power lines. I had a discussion with an engineer neighbor that told me there was more EMF from those lines that lead right up to your house then the power lines at a distance.

Out of sight lines we don't consider.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,279,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Funny you talk EMF. Most new subdivisions have buried power lines. I had a discussion with an engineer neighbor that told me there was more EMF from those lines that lead right up to your house then the power lines at a distance.

Out of sight lines we don't consider.
It is complicated. I don't think your engineer friend is correct. Mostly the biology interaction deals with magnetic fields which are a product of the current flow.

In general buried local lines don't get to those kind of fields. Note that the environment is rich in sources. CRTs are an obvious and wide spread source.

I don't believe it is in general a problem. But it can be in close proximity to a major transmission. That is close...not a block away. And note it may well be the intermediate size transmission lines that cause the problem as they get closer than do the big transmission lines.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:10 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,232,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedar_bluff_tree_farm View Post
Please cite your source for this information. I am a licensed Professional Engineer and know of no studies that show electromagnetic radiation from power lines is bad for your health.

Your computer that you are sitting in front of creates a electromagnet field that is much stronger than a hospital 2 blocks away.

BINGO !

In Minnesota, about 30 years ago, a major powerline came across central Minnesota.

There were many outsiders ( lomg gray pony tail types ) who came to central Minnesota and got the farmers all worked up about health issues.

Those " professional protestors" influenced landowners to block surveyors and even dismantle towers after they were erected.

Every night the tv showed law enforcement arresting and hand cuffing protestors ( many who were local farmers who got duped by the rhetoric of professional protestors.

The line finally got built and electricity is running thru it.

thirty years has passed and I hear nothing of health problems.

The professional protestors moved on to a different cause in different locations.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
BINGO !

In Minnesota, about 30 years ago, a major powerline came across central Minnesota.

There were many outsiders ( lomg gray pony tail types ) who came to central Minnesota and got the farmers all worked up about health issues.

Those " professional protestors" influenced landowners to block surveyors and even dismantle towers after they were erected.

Every night the tv showed law enforcement arresting and hand cuffing protestors ( many who were local farmers who got duped by the rhetoric of professional protestors.

The line finally got built and electricity is running thru it.

thirty years has passed and I hear nothing of health problems.

The professional protestors moved on to a different cause in different locations.
Simply untrue. Eminent domain issue almost entirely of local origin.

Nobody lived anywhere near the line. It was a property battle with the relatively conservative farmers balking at the routing of the line through their land.

No poney tails...or tales. Just the solid dark lutherans telling the powers that be to go away.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:44 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,363,426 times
I've been in the electric utility business for over 30 yrs . High voltage substations . No health issues here .

Old 08-31-2009, 04:46 AM

9,828 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I believe that the Calfornia EMF study states that EMF from power likely causes some cancers.
If that is the case, then don't put that cell phone up to your ear!!! It will generate fields several orders of magnitude more than transmission lines. Plus, you are putting the cell phone right at your brain at much higher frequencies.

As a side note, fields (EMF) gets reduced by the square of the distance. Mathematically, that means if you double the distance, you get 1/4 the EMF. If you triple the distance, you get under 1/8 of the field. IF you quadrupole the distance you experience 1/64 of the power line fields.

As a side note, all research on this topic to date is not exactly conclusive. That doesn't mean that there isn't something to it. It just means that its tough to get a strong enough correlation to say that our bodies don't appreciate fields.

I've also had my body "soaked" in some pretty intense fields while working with magnetics as an engineer in a previous career. All things being equal, I'd rather not do that. I have often thought about taking that darn cell phone away from my head and using an earpiece. But since the research isn't exactly conclusive, I put it on the same "to-do" list as exercising.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:53 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,232,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Simply untrue. Eminent domain issue almost entirely of local origin.

Nobody lived anywhere near the line. It was a property battle with the relatively conservative farmers balking at the routing of the line through their land.

No poney tails...or tales. Just the solid dark lutherans telling the powers that be to go away.
Ever drive thru that area ?

Stearns County------Spring Hill, Lake Henry, etc?

Those lines are close to farmsites and the land beneath those lines are tilled and harvested every year by people driving tractors.

NO news in 30 years of health propblems !

professional protestors acting as instigators ?--yes !

A couple of those same names re-appeared 30 years later when a oil pipeline got built by me.

( I guess they took a few days off from protesting the Iraq war in the metro to come back to central Minnesota and get the landowners all worked up )

Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 AM

250 posts, read 684,346 times
This website might help you get info and links to other sites about the power lines.

Stop the Lines - Opposition to PSE&G power lines

Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Ever drive thru that area ?

Stearns County------Spring Hill, Lake Henry, etc?

Those lines are close to farmsites and the land beneath those lines are tilled and harvested every year by people driving tractors.

NO news in 30 years of health propblems !

professional protestors acting as instigators ?--yes !

A couple of those same names re-appeared 30 years later when a oil pipeline got built by me.

( I guess they took a few days off from protesting the Iraq war in the metro to come back to central Minnesota and get the landowners all worked up )

Your position is still hopelessly incorrect. It was not a health issue. It was an eminent domain issue..

Amazing how those witn ax change the nature of these things.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If that is the case, then don't put that cell phone up to your ear!!! It will generate fields several orders of magnitude more than transmission lines. Plus, you are putting the cell phone right at your brain at much higher frequencies.

As a side note, fields (EMF) gets reduced by the square of the distance. Mathematically, that means if you double the distance, you get 1/4 the EMF. If you triple the distance, you get under 1/8 of the field. IF you quadrupole the distance you experience 1/64 of the power line fields.

As a side note, all research on this topic to date is not exactly conclusive. That doesn't mean that there isn't something to it. It just means that its tough to get a strong enough correlation to say that our bodies don't appreciate fields.

I've also had my body "soaked" in some pretty intense fields while working with magnetics as an engineer in a previous career. All things being equal, I'd rather not do that. I have often thought about taking that darn cell phone away from my head and using an earpiece. But since the research isn't exactly conclusive, I put it on the same "to-do" list as exercising.
I did a good bit of work with pulse power and such when I was a young engineer. Used to have currents that made the cables jump.

Most of the evidence of biological interaction seems tied to high magnetic rather than electrical fields. That takes high current.

Ionization radiation is a different thing.

I would not certify that cellphones are entirely healthy. Appears to be a heating effect though which would be hard to project into a real big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate