Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:59 AM

720 posts, read 3,008,051 times

Advertisements

Just curios what people's thoughts were on power lines?

Obviously they are unsightly and not good for resale value but if you found your dream house next to powerlines for a great price would you buy it?

I've been doing some research recently as I found a place next to power lines for a great price. Supposedly there's no concrete proof it's unhealthy, however there are enough coincidence with people reporting problems sleeping, cancer clusters, etc to make you think about it.

I also however heard that no studies have ever shown its unhealthy. I guess some writer wrote an articel where misstated the findings and that caused a big scare that has never really gone away.

I get that even if its perfectly safe the perception is bad for resale but just wanting to get others thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Obviously they are unsightly and not good for resale value but if you found your dream house next to powerlines for a great price would you buy it?
Absolutely not.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 AM

169 posts, read 698,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Just curios what people's thoughts were on power lines?

I've been doing some research recently as I found a place next to power lines for a great price. Supposedly there's no concrete proof it's unhealthy, however there are enough coincidence with people reporting problems sleeping, cancer clusters, etc to make you think about it.

I also however heard that no studies have ever shown its unhealthy. I guess some writer wrote an articel where misstated the findings and that caused a big scare that has never really gone away.

I get that even if its perfectly safe the perception is bad for resale but just wanting to get others thoughts.
It depends on how comfortable you are. But I personally would pass. It is one of my strong NO list.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
No way...it's unsightly, for one. And there's gotta be some effects from the EMR...

Then you should always consider resale in any house you buy. My mother says you make money buying a house, not selling it. Getting a good deal in a desirable area is the way to go...buying niche products with possible detractors like that may not ever be a good investment.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
It depends on how comfortable you are. But I personally would pass. It is one of my strong NO list.
Same Here! I didn't have any unsightly power lines or stations near my house and my house was on a nice street... but I was 2 blocks from a hospital and some people wouldn't even consider buying my house when it was for sale because of that! I was there for nearly 20 years and didn't become health conscious until a little while after I moved in ...but today I think I might even be as picky as those buyers were.

That house when I moved in BTW was brand new construction and had a built in microwave and for health reasons, for all the nearly 20 years I was there, I used the microwave probably no more than a dozen times.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
There's almost always another house that will meet requirements that's not near the power lines.

Avoid.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM

169 posts, read 698,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Same Here! I didn't have any unsightly power lines or stations near my house and my house was on a nice street... but I was 2 blocks from a hospital and some people wouldn't even consider buying my house when it was for sale because of that! I was there for nearly 20 years and didn't become health conscious until a little while after I moved in ...but today I think I might even be as picky as those buyers were.

That house when I moved in BTW was brand new construction and had a built in microwave and for health reasons, for all the nearly 20 years I was there, I used the microwave probably no more than a dozen times.
How does living near a hospital affect health? What's wrong with built-in microwave? Thanks.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:16 PM

720 posts, read 3,008,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Why wouldn't people buy your place near a hospital? Did it have a helicopter landing strip or something? Not sure why living near a hospital would be an issue at all?

Also, nothings wrong with using a microwave, sure it probably puts off small amounts of radiation which isn't good for you but its such a limited amount and how often do you really use your microwave anyway, not something to worry about if you ask me.

As for the power lines thing. Numerou studies have been done. No study has ever shown there's any bad health effects from living near them. I guess back inthe late 70's early 80's someone wrote a newspaper article claiming living near power lines caused an increase in childhood cancers.

Turns out the author totally misrepresented and mistated the findings in the actual study but apparently thats whats caused this scare about powre lines.

No other study has ever found it negatively affects health but I agree they are unsighly and even if its perfectly healthy if the perception is its bad thats not good for resale.

As for the person who stated you can always find another house meeting the same criteria, first off thats not true, secondly not being near power lines it will be more expensive. Also, though I woudln't like living near them the one positive is you dont have neighbors backing you you have a large open field.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Living near a hospital may be noisy with ambulance traffic running code 3, though they don't run code 3 very often. Helicopters only an issue if they are stationed there or are a referral center.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
I would have no problem living near a power line. I'd just hate trying to re-sell the place because of the negative impact it has on potential buyers. Now if it was my last home (retirement), I'd buy it with no regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate