Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 06:38 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times

Advertisements

I've often heard about health risks from living close to power lines and would not want to buy a house close to one/them.

Can someone clarify what kind of power lines I should be concerned about? I know power lines come into the house and are in your walls and such, but what size power towers are most people concerned about when you talk about real estate? Is it just those big ones that you see running through hills, that look sort of like the Eiffel tower? How about the ones that run along side of major roads, where the posts seem to be made of wood/logs(Maybe 50ft high) with about 6 lines on them? Is that too much also? Plus, how far should I be away from these?

Last question... What's the difference if they were buried as far as EMF goes?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:36 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
When most people talk about power lines causing issues, they are mostly referring to the high voltage transmission lines (the tall one's that make a buzzing sound), not really the one's that go directly into your house.

I was reading that there is no real evidence to suggest it causes any health issues, but I would still be kind of cautious though, because they can create a strong enough EMF to light a fluorescent light bulbs.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
They are talking about the Eiffel tower kind. I personally find the buzzing of them bothersome. I had to drive under one to get to a subdivision and it just gives me the hibbie jebbies.

The regular 50' power poles are more of an eyesore in terms of resale. At least out here.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
We have some of the "medium" sized ones running across our pasture. (Not the ones that directly serve houses but the ones that serve the ones that serve the houses.)

Our animals PREFER to graze underneath them, given their druthers. Doesn't appear to have done them any harm (and we've had all ages from babies to adults there).

Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
There are no ill health effects from power lines.

The radiation they emit is one of two forms. The first is electrical radiation, similiar to microwaves. These waves dissipate very quickly. (For example, notice the florescent tubes in the picture above are all directly below the power lines. Your house will not be directly below the power lines. That picture is also probably fake as well.)

The second kind is magnetic, which can travel a long ways. But magnestism doesn't cause ill health effects.

In short, the issue caused by power lines is a visual pollution form rather than any sort of health impact.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:01 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
There are no ill health effects from power lines.

The radiation they emit is one of two forms. The first is electrical radiation, similiar to microwaves. These waves dissipate very quickly. (For example, notice the florescent tubes in the picture above are all directly below the power lines. Your house will not be directly below the power lines. That picture is also probably fake as well.)

The second kind is magnetic, which can travel a long ways. But magnestism doesn't cause ill health effects.

In short, the issue caused by power lines is a visual pollution form rather than any sort of health impact.
Just curious what makes you think the photo is fake? There have been several documented photos of this happening along with live video, so it does happen.

As far as causing any harm, it's hard to say, but I don't think there have been any long term issues caused by these lines. I wouldn't think they would cause too much of an issue in term's of your property value, since they are so common and a lot of new subdivisions are built around them.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Just curious what makes you think the photo is fake? There have been several documented photos of this happening along with live video, so it does happen.
Only because half of what you see on the internet is fake.

I did a quick search and it sounds like the pictures are real but taken with a long exposure. The one website I looked at said they glow very dimly but a long exposure amplifies it. It makes sense because I've driven (as well as millions of other people) under power lines with florescent tubes in my car and have not had them sponatenously turn on.

Last edited by bigtrees; 02-02-2009 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times
Thanks for everyone's reply. I initially asked this question because I was concerned about some "smaller" power lines across the street from a house I was interested in making an offer in. Got over the small power lines, then found out the house is within 200yrds of the big high voltage ones.

Anyways, I guess I just can't get over that.

Love the flourescent light picture. But it freaked me out!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM

23 posts, read 99,684 times
The question of whether or not there are health effects from the large power lines may still be up in the air, but there's no question that they decrease the value of the home, and that includes your resale value when it's your turn to sell.

I've worked with plenty of buyers who weren't too concerned about the health effects of big power lines, but the fact is that some people will simply not consider buying a home near large power lines (and many agents like me caution buyers to think very carefully before doing so), so that fact is you have a smaller target market of buyers when it's your turn to sell. Whenever there's a smaller market, all other things being equal, you have a lower market value.

Anyway, sounds like you've already made your decision. 200 yds doesn't sound that close based on homes I've shown, if they're not in view (blocked by trees, etc.) - so I'm not trying to over-state the power line case. When they're quite close by there are health concerns, further out there are usability (if you own the land under them) and aesthetic concerns. And I'm not a health professional, that's just my opinion based on feedback from my clients. Just my two cents. Hope you find a great home!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
I have concern about what would happen to them during a strong hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate