Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM

33 posts, read 140,113 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what you think about the number of homes our agent has set up for us to view this weekend...........we are flying into Western Mass tomorrow to find a home for purchase - we are under time constraints and have communicated that we would like to place a contract on a home this weekend - we are preapproved with several different lenders, have our earnest money ready to go, have all paperwork ready to submit to loan processing once we have a contract, etc. We worked with this realtor a few weeks ago when my husband's new company hired her to give us a tour of the area. I have sent her about 15 listings of homes we really wanted to see, then I asked her to choose additional homes based on her knowledge of the homes on the market with regards to what we are looking for..........she just emailed and let us know she has 5 properties set for us to view on Friday and 7 for Saturday. Am I unrealistic to have thought that we would be seeing many more properties this weekend? I know that inventory is not low - I have been searching the mls daily. I am a little nervous because we would like to get something under contract this weekend and not have to travel back again (we have a 21 month old we bring with us, sooooooo the fewer trips, the better)............soooooooo - do you think it is reasonable to want to see more homes? Do I have too great of expectations? Am I worrying prematurely? Your thoughts, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:32 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,697,755 times
I have had buyers give me criteria to meet and also send me listings.

Sometimes I will go through and find that some of the listings will not meet all the criteria and have less to show them than what they sent me.

Other times I will find more than what they sent me.

Bring your list that you had and after looking at the ones she shows you then ask what was wrong with the others.

It is possible that some are under contract or no longer available.

You can also ask her to pull up more when you are in the office.

Just remember the 12 are just a start. You may end up finding your perfect home in those or you may need to look at more.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:33 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,998,723 times
Well, my wife often shows more than 15 in one day. I don't recommend it and I try not to do it with buyers. As a buyer they will all start to blend together after about 6. You won't be able to remember details from one house to the next. I try to weed out as many as possible in the office on the computer before we head out.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:39 PM

33 posts, read 140,113 times
Thanks you two for the feedback! I am happy to know that this is a decent amount of homes to see - wish us luck!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 PM

666 posts, read 1,848,007 times
My wife and I looked at over 25 homes this past weekend in the Portland, OR area. If there are homes to support that level of effort, do it. The point about the houses all starting to blend together is valid, however we brought a video camera and recorded them all. Each night back in the hotel we'd watch the video and make notes on the listing sheets. It becomes a tedious task, but worth it considering the investment at stake.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 PM

948 posts, read 2,799,638 times
It also depends on how far apart they are. In my area 15 homes in 2 days could be tough requiring some to be rushed thru. Also you most likely have to revisit your 3 favorites which could add a couple of hours. All that plus pages of paper work and discloures.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 PM

11,016 posts, read 22,065,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Well, my wife often shows more than 15 in one day. I don't recommend it and I try not to do it with buyers. As a buyer they will all start to blend together after about 6. You won't be able to remember details from one house to the next. I try to weed out as many as possible in the office on the computer before we head out.
Yeah but this is different. Relo's usually have a day, maybe 3 to find a home. I've shown 20+ homes a day for relos. It doesn't sound like much and I suggest calling prior to arrival and asking about it. Don't wait until you get there or it could be too late.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,898,862 times
I can usually nail a serious buyer in 3 showings because I do a lot of homework. Inbound relo people have homes for sale and I get a sense of them by looking at pictures of their home and researching the community they are coming from. I also do a lot of interviewing about what they like/dislike about their current home and community and then the wants/needs.

The rest of the stuff is to give them a better sense of value and the area.
This can mean we may see 12-18 homes in a day. I name each house for a memorable feature to trigger recall and we eliminate and reprioritize as many as possible as we go along.

I cannot imagine doing this with a baby onboard unless mom and dad switch off who is going inside to determine if it's worthwhile and even then....If you want a broader perspective, let your agent know sooner rather than later and discuss the gameplan for baby and if that plan includes her watching baby, while you both go inside.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:09 AM

761 posts, read 3,423,117 times
I think that is a good average, we have never looked at more than six in one day. Like another poster said, they start blending together after awhile. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 AM

15,611 posts, read 40,576,589 times
I preview listings for relo's and send them a list with the pluses and minuses. I had this happen just last weekend. The buyer sent me 14 and we saw 7. Some homes look good in photos (kudos to the listing agent) but have things like...oh...reek like cigarette smoke...that you can help buyers rule those homes out.

Your goal is to be efficient and have the best chance of getting a hit. If you think your agent understands what you want, let them rule some out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate