Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:27 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,128,913 times

Advertisements

What is it with buyers agents insisting that they be your only agent? They don't want competetion?! LOL. I'm not going to stiff somebody who went out of their way to show me a place, but to resign myself to one agent seems like a bad plan. I'm already running into places that are not listed that another agent has for sale. Talk about arrogance.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:49 PM

265 posts, read 953,752 times
A buyers agent will act in your best interest and work for you. In VA, If you don't agree to an Exclusive Buyer Agency agreement than the buyer is actually working for the seller. As a result the agent can not share with you certain information on the property. Many agents will not put you in their car without agreeing to Buyer Agency. Many times what we do is provide the agreement to the buyer at the beginning of the appointment and ask that they read it and sign toward the end only if they are comfortable with us and would like to work with us in the future. Not every buyer will click and its a much better way of handling the situation.

Last edited by smagid; 01-29-2011 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 01:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,990,758 times
If you are looking within the same region there is no reason to have more than one buyer's agent. They are YOUR agent looking out for YOU. If you don't have an exclusive agreement with one then they are working for the seller. It sounds like you really don't understand how it works. A buyer's agent is your advocate, they want you to get the best deal.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:23 PM

244 posts, read 748,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
What is it with buyers agents insisting that they be your only agent? They don't want competetion?! LOL. I'm not going to stiff somebody who went out of their way to show me a place, but to resign myself to one agent seems like a bad plan. I'm already running into places that are not listed that another agent has for sale. Talk about arrogance.
It has nothing to do with arrogance. As you said you would not stiff anyone. Well that may be you . There are times I dont ask for a buyers rep agreement until we are writing up and offer and there are times when I will have the potential buyer sign one for a specific property that I showed them. I do not want to work with someone that does not want to work with me, but on the other hand you have people out there who do not respect that once I talk to them and get there specifications on what they are looking for etc., that from that point I am working for them and doing my best to find what they are looking for. Then all of a sudden oh I started working with so and so. If some buyers were more upfront then the rep agreement wouldnt even be an issue.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:41 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,436,891 times
Quote:
Why would someone put hours and hours of work in for someone that would just waste that time? Who's the arrogant one?

If you don't like your agent, terminate the agreement. You obviously have no idea what a GOOD Realtor does for their client. If you can't find a good Realtor, look at your attitude towards them.

Maybe good Realtors don't have the time to waste on someone like you.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:55 PM

15,589 posts, read 40,488,511 times
Quote:
I'm already running into places that are not listed that another agent has for sale. Talk about arrogance.
I think you are confused. A buyer agent will show you any homes that are listed by other agents as well. Working with just one agent doesn't mean that you only have to see their company listings. It just means they would represent you exclusively if you decide to buy a house that is presented by a listing agent.

If the house isn't on the MLS then a buyer agency agreement is the way that a buyer agent gets paid.

You don't sound like you want representation, but rather just a door opener? That's okay if that is what you want, but understand that real estate is shifting away from being the "finder" of a home, to true representation of clients.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:59 PM

118 posts, read 284,064 times
zz4Guy, I heartily agree with you. Signing contracts makes people feel nervous. Since I came from the old school, before the time of contracts, I still believe that it is the job of a real estate professional to EARN the business. People like to feel that they are going to get service, not get married to their agent. If you do a good job, they will stay with you. In PA, there is a "Non-Exclusive" buyer agency. It doesn't have any time limits, fees, etc....just states that any homes introduced by the real estate professional will be represented by that person. If the buyer decides to go elsewhere on another deal...no obligation to the first realtor.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 PM

10,973 posts, read 22,012,700 times
Why would I commit hours of time and money to some who won't make a commitment back to me?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 AM

574 posts, read 1,641,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmxcarol View Post
zz4Guy, I heartily agree with you. Signing contracts makes people feel nervous. Since I came from the old school, before the time of contracts, I still believe that it is the job of a real estate professional to EARN the business. People like to feel that they are going to get service, not get married to their agent. If you do a good job, they will stay with you. In PA, there is a "Non-Exclusive" buyer agency. It doesn't have any time limits, fees, etc....just states that any homes introduced by the real estate professional will be represented by that person. If the buyer decides to go elsewhere on another deal...no obligation to the first realtor.
I would be willing to bet you are one of the few, level headed, well respected agents out there! It is a shame that we have drifted so far from the "old school" line of thinking and operating. You are absolutely right that in those times if an agent demonstrated this good attitude and method of business then back then the clients bent over backwards to stick with them. Long ago I had an agent that cost us the home of our dreams through her errors. Before that however she worked her tail off to get us to that point. I was not happy with losing the home but also realized that the mistake she made was certainly not intentional. We continued to work with her and she did find us another dream home. For years until she passed away we referred her to everyone we knew whether they were buying a home or not!

Not long ago we went to market looking for another home long after that last one. The agent we had was an exclusive buyer agent supposedly representing us and not the seller. We even had a contract to state that. We found a home we wanted to buy and sought the agents advice and discussed several items including our willingness to pay top dollar for the home and even "X" dollars more. When we put in the offer the seller countered with a price "X" higher than their original asking price. There was no doubt where that counteroffer amount came from.

Do everyone a favor and see if you can find someone willing to clone more agents like yourself! Consumers would benefit tremendously as would the reputation of your profession.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 AM

574 posts, read 1,641,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Why would I commit hours of time and money to some who won't make a commitment back to me?
Why do agents insist on lengthy, binding representation contracts? rmxcarol above has provided a very good reason why binding contracts are not needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate