Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM

290 posts, read 574,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As for this statement:

Give the general public time to sort it all out; they will eventually become educated and spot the real ones who were never subjected to an artificial certification and poor training.

The same applies to real estate agents. Or plumbers. Or auto mechanics. It's nothing special, and it doesn't make your point for you that appraisers are the way to go. Quite the contrary, in fact.
I am not competing with you. I do not have to try to compete with you. I do not need to compete with you or any other Realtor. However; I can offer myself as a professional to any one at any time, whether or not they are with a Realtor. I will also encourage them to contact another Independent Appraiser for additional service as it may be in the social interest -- there is no contract involved, ever.

Yes, you are correct, it applies to all; the general public will sort out it all out eventually.

Last edited by Greeenback; 02-03-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,605,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appraisergx View Post
You are incorrect. There is a difference between an Independent Appraiser and an Appraiser. An Independent Appraiser must be competent, experienced, and honest. An Independent Appraiser is more, as well.
And what specifically raises the level of an "Independent Appraiser" to virtual sainthood, and guarantees their ethics and honesty?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 PM

40,989 posts, read 49,352,281 times
Quote:
Yes, you are correct, it applies to all; the general public will sort out it all out eventually.
You are making no sense at all. Maybe I'm a little slow but I see no benefit in a buyer seeking your skills during the purchasing process. I can give them as good of an appraisal as you can and do more to protect their interest since I know our states contracts, procedures and will give them 100% skilled knowledge and guidance that you do not offer.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 PM

15,603 posts, read 40,539,112 times
Quote:
Some Appraisers stink in the mind of a Broker, because they do not bend over and let the ilk of sales people spank its tush!

No they stink because they are idiots. I had to meet an appraiser at a property to explain that the "missing light fixture" on his appraisal was really an old style furnace vent in the ceiling and the vent cover was just off for cleaning. I get that there are a lot of funky things in real estate, but if I don't know what something is, I don't make up stuff on a report.

He stunk. He went through his training and he stunk. I had been inside every single one of the comps and he had been in...get this...none of them. Some appraisers just stink, just like some doctors, attorneys, CPA's, plumbers, hairdressers...on and on. Training doesn't make you ethical or good.

I would feel bad for a consumer that hired him. He wasn't even close to skilled enough. I'd refer many other exceptional appraisers to people over that guy for an independent appraisal.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,157,766 times
Funny that this thread appeared today. Just sat in today on a continuing education class. The topic you wonder... AGENCY!! :-)

Old 02-04-2011, 06:31 AM

330 posts, read 1,086,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I have flat out stopped working with agents who's first question is, "can I be your only agent?", or "who else are you working with?". No, you can not be my only agent. I don't know you from Jack, but you want the loyalty of an old friend. WTF?

If you are calling an agent to look at one house, I could understand not wanting to sign anything. More than one house then I would want an agreement.

How much time would you expect an agent to spend with you without any agreement that he would actually get paid for his time?

If you are a little flexible I am sure any good agent will bend over backwards to make themselves available to show you any house you are interested in looking at. Why would you want to start over with a different agent on each showing?

The agents worst fear is that you will look at a dozen houses with him and then go look at an open house by yourself and buy it with the listing agent cutting him out of any commission. So he is left with all that time searching the mls, driving to and showing you homes. Not to mention his expenses, and yes there are expenses as an agent.

Do you get paid for what you do at your job / business?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,133,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
If you are calling an agent to look at one house, I could understand not wanting to sign anything. More than one house then I would want an agreement.

How much time would you expect an agent to spend with you without any agreement that he would actually get paid for his time?

If you are a little flexible I am sure any good agent will bend over backwards to make themselves available to show you any house you are interested in looking at. Why would you want to start over with a different agent on each showing?

The agents worst fear is that you will look at a dozen houses with him and then go look at an open house by yourself and buy it with the listing agent cutting him out of any commission. So he is left with all that time searching the mls, driving to and showing you homes. Not to mention his expenses, and yes there are expenses as an agent.

Do you get paid for what you do at your job / business?
It boils down to what value am I getting from you? Yes I understand you are spending time and money showing me these places, but in the eyes of the buyer you have done nothing more for him than unlock the doors.

Why don't you be creative? Offer some value that other realtors don't offfer. A $500 Home Depot card for signing with you, a guide to homeownership, help with moving your furniture.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:29 AM

40,989 posts, read 49,352,281 times
Quote:
A $500 Home Depot card for signing with you, a guide to homeownership, help with moving your furniture.
Anyone who would buy your business is not one of the top or very best agents. Only the mediocre or poor agents would consider a $500 gift card just for you signing. The very best agents have their skills and knowledge to offer you.

I guarantee my skills in working with a client will enable them to buy the very best home they can get for their money and in most cases I can save them thousands in costs. That's of much higher value then some gift card.

You're selling yourself cheaply.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:37 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,133,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Anyone who would buy your business is not one of the top or very best agents. Only the mediocre or poor agents would consider a $500 gift card just for you signing. The very best agents have their skills and knowledge to offer you.

I guarantee my skills in working with a client will enable them to buy the very best home they can get for their money and in most cases I can save them thousands in costs. That's of much higher value then some gift card.

You're selling yourself cheaply.
And you base that on what? Read that line back to yourself and tell me it doesn't sound like you are trying to sell me a load of crap. For example, "Working with a client will enable them to buy the very best home for their money BECAUSE _________"

There are realtors and sellers everywhere today. Just like any other business consumers want to know how your service provides them a niche or advantage that others don't.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,605,176 times
Quote:
It boils down to what value am I getting from you? Yes I understand you are spending time and money showing me these places, but in the eyes of the buyer you have done nothing more for him than unlock the doors....
I don't typically require an employment agreement to work with clients, but on the other hand, I wouldn't work with anyone using multiple agents. It would usually be a waste of my time, and conflict with my fiduciary responsibilities to my client. (Note - we do require an agency disclosure to be signed, but it's not an employment agreement)

Besides just "unlocking" doors, a good agent should be negotiating on your behalf, advising you of property related issues that may need consideration, insuring that the purchase agreement and appropriate addenda are correctly prepared with terms that reflect your needs, working with the various vendors to close, and generally protecting your interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate