Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,096,595 times

Advertisements

I was visiting an open house on Sunday, an early 1990's farm house, wrap around porch, 2 barns (one converted to a 3 car garage) 2 storey, 4 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath.

The first floor was heavily decorated and loads of "stuff". OK...these folks live in and love their home.
The second floor was virtually impassable.
One bedroom had a pile of trash (I couldn't even tell you what it was) piled in the middle of the floor and I couldn't even get past the thresholds of the other 3 bedrooms.

So my ? for the agents, How do you deal with an eccentric seller? I am sure you advise them to pack away their stuff and accentuate the features of the home. But what if they don't take your advice? (as in this case).

My ? for buyers- can you see past all the stuff and appreciate the hidden historic/architectural features?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,836,672 times
I can see past the "stuff" but if there's too much, how can you tell the condition of the house? I would also wonder if the house was maintained properly.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I can see past the "stuff" but if there's too much, how can you tell the condition of the house? I would also wonder if the house was maintained properly.
Exactly!
The conundrum.....the exterior of the home looked well maintained.
The interior....too cluttered, inaccessible to determine.
The kitchen had stainless appliances.....ok... nice......but I couldn't even get into the bedrooms to see if they had closets!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 PM

15,619 posts, read 40,619,304 times
My buyers and I walked into a home like that once, and I told them if they made an offer we would have to write in a contingency that the stuff was moved out prior to the home inspection so that it could be done.

I'm not sure I would list a house like that. It would depend on whether or not the sellers were making progress on their stuff.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,204,752 times
they actually had an open house with it like that?? SHUDDER What was the agent thinking! Someone needs to get real with those sellers!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:35 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,478,431 times
My bet is they "cleaned up" for the open house. That's why you were able to navigate the downstairs. As for the upstairs-- look on the bright side? In an old house like that, you know there are wood floors. If no one has seen the wood floors in YEARS, chances are, they haven't gotten all scratched up.

I can see past that. But an inspector can't. Definitely want the place cleaned out for inspection.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,933,147 times
Sounds to me like this might be a potential divorce situation and someone does not want the home to sell.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
My bet is they "cleaned up" for the open house. That's why you were able to navigate the downstairs. As for the upstairs-- look on the bright side? In an old house like that, you know there are wood floors. If no one has seen the wood floors in YEARS, chances are, they haven't gotten all scratched up.

I can see past that. But an inspector can't. Definitely want the place cleaned out for inspection.
LOL- Never thought about that! There was a *hint* of hardwood on the main floor but you couldn't even see the floor on the second level. That hardwood might just be pristine!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Sounds to me like this might be a potential divorce situation and someone does not want the home to sell.
Yeah, I don't know why they are selling. But my sense was that this was years and years and years of *cocooning*. The home made me feel very uncomfortable, like there was some serious sickness going on in there.

Sellers like this have got to be an agents' worst nightmare.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,380,421 times
LOL that house reminds me of my volunteer firefighter days. Show up in the early morning to a house full of smoke but not much heat. I think I fell down (breathing apparatus and all) about 10 times trying to find the source of the smoke. We got the place ventilated and I was blown away by how little of the floor space was traverse able. I don't think the guy had ever thrown anything away. If it had actually been a working fire, the fuel load in the place would have made it almost impossible to contain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate