Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 AM

237 posts, read 967,364 times

Advertisements

Hi I posted this last night and somehow it has disappeard. Will a buyers agent show a housing that has 2% commsion. Im going with a realtor because she will give me 4% (friend of the family) but that means buyers agents will only get 2% will you still show a house at 2% (any realtors out there). Thanks Mindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
Hi I posted this last night and somehow it has disappeard. Will a buyers agent show a housing that has 2% commsion. Im going with a realtor because she will give me 4% (friend of the family) but that means buyers agents will only get 2% will you still show a house at 2% (any realtors out there). Thanks Mindy
When agents show properties for their buyers, many have a contract with them that they will pay them a 3% commisison, and that commission is offset by the commission the listing agent pays.

If the listing agent pays 3% then the buyer pays nothing.

If 2% is the norm in your area you'll be ok. However, if 3% is the norm, then here's what can happen. The buyers agent must inform the buyer that the listing agent will only pay 2% so the buyer will have to pay 1% to make up the difference.

If your home sells for $500,000, then the buyer would have to pay the buyers agent $5,000. The buyer may decide to now look at your home, because that is more money out of their pocket in addition to their down payment.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:48 AM

237 posts, read 967,364 times
Thanks Captain Bill your always so helpful. I wish you where a real estate agent in MA.. now my buyers agents are getting 2.5% to show my house. So if I go with this other realtor it will be cut to 2%. I guess I can try it and if in two weeks times i get know calls from buyers agents I can up it to 2.5%. Thanks for your email

Old 02-05-2008, 07:54 AM

Good luck Mindy, and make sure your friend markets your home aggressively. That is extremely important.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
In Europe realtors get for the same work 1,5% and nobody is complaining. Overhere it is like "if you don't give me 35, I'm not going to show your home" which makes me think how much it still has to do with dilivering a good job. Shouldn't it be 1. buyer should get their dream home. 2. Maybe one job is paying less than an other. 3. Realtors are loosing their job to FSBO, because there are very big FSBO companies out there which are very succesful (for example in Madison Wisconsin)

Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In Europe realtors get for the same work 1,5% and nobody is complaining. Overhere it is like "if you don't give me 35, I'm not going to show your home" which makes me think how much it still has to do with dilivering a good job. Shouldn't it be 1. buyer should get their dream home. 2. Maybe one job is paying less than an other. 3. Realtors are loosing their job to FSBO, because there are very big FSBO companies out there which are very succesful (for example in Madison Wisconsin)
There is another thread on the forum that explains how the realtors work in Europe, and comparing their system to ours is comparing apples to oranges.

It is not the agent who will refuse two show the home. It is the buyer who does not want to pay the commission out of their pocket who may refuse to look at it.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
2.5% is the most common split in my area.

If a buyer's agent has 25 + properties to choose from for showing purposes and all else is equal, the buyer's agent is not likely to choose to show the property that pays less.

If however, there is a short list of homes that would meet the buyer's needs/wants and one of them pays less, it would probably be shown.

So it all comes down to supply and demand. In most areas of the U.S. right now, a seller needs every advantage it can get. Compensating less than others, may not be the best strategy to get sold.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:25 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
There is another thread on the forum that explains how the realtors work in Europe, and comparing their system to ours is comparing apples to oranges.

It is not the agent who will refuse two show the home. It is the buyer who does not want to pay the commission out of their pocket who may refuse to look at it.
I know how they work over there I have sold at least 5 properties over there. I know there is less paperwork, but the rest is the same, although closing hardly ever fell through since when you are approved you have to close or you will loose 75% what nobody wants to loose, so closings are very easy and always done by specialized kind of lawyers (sounds weird but overhere there is not a really good discription to give the job a name)

Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
mindy i think if i remember seeing correctly you're in mass. 2% on the buy side in some towns is normal. You'll see 2.5% a lot more but like i said in certain towns 2% is common.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
If your friend is such a good friend, why doesn't he take 1% and give the selling agent 3%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate