Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 05:56 PM

840 posts, read 692,356 times

Advertisements

The main draw is the lake, one of the other posters knew it was Torch before I said anything based on the price I paid for the lot. Nat Geo had rated it (I believe) 3rd most beautiful in the world. Many small summer cottages sell for high 9's then livable ones start low to mid mil. We're in the north end of the lake which is quieter, we may be a bit higher priced in the south end but many like the north end as that its much more serene. The house is only 2600 sq feet but I agree it would be 3-400000 in a subdivision.

The lake is gorgeous and lively in the summer, I just dont want to live life just for my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Looks like about a $300k house in many parts of the country, but if you say it will sell for $1.2 Million when done, then I'll take your word for it.

Yes, it is a scenic lot with nice view. I assume your lot is the part that is cleared, and that the part that is not cleared belongs to adjoining land owners?

I don't see any garage or storage building of any kind. Where will you keep your vehicles and snowblowers, shovels, lawn equipment, tools, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 07:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,063 times
OP, you haven't mentioned much about it, but wasn't part of your motivation to live near your adult son who lives in Detroit? Or not?

Old 11-18-2022, 07:46 PM

Good memory, he ended up relocating to near Huntsville AL. the other two are Baltimore and DC but are fluid about future jobs/location

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP, you haven't mentioned much about it, but wasn't part of your motivation to live near your adult son who lives in Detroit? Or not?

Old 11-19-2022, 01:41 PM

You mentioned feelings of isolation and loneliness in your new location on Torch Lake, and living in a camper while house is being built. How long have you been living in the camper?

Living in a camper could definitely contribute strongly to feelings about your real estate situation, finances, house being built. And negative feelings.

I know you started a new job, but you didn't say where the new job is located and what the job entails. And I think you said that you and your wife plan to keep working for a long time?

Pertaining to possible retirement, I wanted to mention that retirement can inherently be isolating (and possibly lonely) for some people because one no longer has automatic people contact in the workplace and some connections every day with people in the workplace - so in retirement one needs to look for people contact elsewhere.

In your case, maybe your new job provides some automatic people contact? Or not? Also, you have a connection with your wife, although she works away in Chicago and apparently stays in Chicago a lot (?) - flight attendant, yes?

But I just wanted to mention the inherent lack of automatic people contact from a workplace in retirement and the inherent possibility of isolation in retirement if one doesn't seek people contact elsewhere.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:45 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
You mentioned feelings of isolation and loneliness in your new location on Torch Lake, and living in a camper while house is being built. How long have you been living in the camper?

I know you started a new job, but you didn't say where the new job is located and what the job entails. And I think you said that you and your wife plan to keep working for a long time?

Pertaining to possible retirement, I wanted to mention that retirement can inherently be isolating (and possibly lonely) for some people because one no longer has automatic people contact in the workplace and some connections every day with people in the workplace - so in retirement one needs to look for people contact elsewhere.

In your case, maybe your new job provides some automatic people contact? Or not? Also, you have a connection with your wife, although she works away in Chicago and apparently stays in Chicago a lot (?) - flight attendant, yes?

But I just wanted to mention the inherent lack of automatic people contact from a workplace in retirement and the inherent possibility of isolation in retirement if one doesn't seek people contact elsewhere.

That is not the primary issue here. He's in a financially precarious position he needs to get himself out of quickly. They just need to do what they need to do and forget about all the emotional BS. The longer they hold this property the worse the situation gets as real estate will only get worse from here (with interest rates and prices).

Old 11-19-2022, 01:54 PM

I agree that the financial situation sounds horrendous.... and paying $650,000 for the lot is beyond comprehension.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
That is not the primary issue here. He's in a financially precarious position he needs to get himself out of quickly. They just need to do what they need to do and forget about all the emotional BS. The longer they hold this property the worse the situation gets as real estate will only get worse from here (with interest rates and prices).
Unfortunately no what OP wants to hear. He seems to hope for lower interest rates and buyers falling for he fell for.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:19 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
I agree that the financial situation sounds horrendous.... and paying $650,000 for the lot is beyond comprehension.
I'd pay $50k for a lot on a lake or else I'd just skip that. If I am going to buy and develop land I want the land very cheap. Then, I'm going to put a very modest house there. So, I also find it incomprehensible. They did this to make money and they need to stop being confused about what to do here.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:14 PM

When we left Philly (or should I say sold our house) rates were below 3.5 for a 30 year. Based on the lot cost, build price we figured new payment would be 3300-3600 range and we could do that with my new job and live life on my pension. The lake itself gave me a sense of confidence as that lakefront properties flip fast and there are very very few vacant lots left. Well obviously rates doubled so now with the taxes we will likely be 45-4700 which to me is mind numbing.

My new job gives me some socialization but most of my workmates are much younger with small kids. On the other hand my established friends from out of state keep texting invites to this ski trip, or this mountain bike trip and I'm constantly having to bow out.

Even with the high interest rates there is a part of me that still doesnt want to bail out too quickly, while I hate living for my house I see that most houses on the lake our size were going for 1.4-1.5 a year ago and now are closer to 1.2. I figure if I bail to quickly to downsize I'm hurting our longterm finances.

Both my wife and I are very blue collar raised by blue collar parents who didnt have a pot to **** in. I do think some of the desire to stay on the lake (mainly for my wife) comes from a somewhat feeling of accomplishment for being able to get a lot here in the first place.

I'm still 70-80% in favor of dumping at 2 year mark, just dont want to have to hear it from the mrs if this place spikes in value over the next few years after we sell.

Sorry' also we have been in the camper since Christmas day last year when I first moved up here. We knew we couldnt break ground until April or May and we figured we would be into the house by September based on timeframe I usually took to build houses (as a side job) when we lived downstate. Well its 22 degree out and here I sit in the camper still, the house should be ok for "temporary" occupancy in about 3 weeks, that will help my spirits quite a bit as that the camper is very difficult to keep warm

Quote:

Living in a camper could definitely contribute strongly to feelings about your real estate situation, finances, house being built. And negative feelings.

Last edited by lpranger467; 11-19-2022 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 11-19-2022, 03:51 PM

So that is the route I wanted to go (small house, cheaper lake), the story of my life of course is bad timing and when we were looking the two cheaper houses (on less popular lakes) sold to higher bidders. We were on a timeframe as that we were under contract and at the time we never imagined rates would double (not sure anyone did). Rates had stayed pretty steady for years and naturally right before we could convert to a secure mortgage with a set rate things skyrocketed.

Now do I risk losing money by selling too quickly, or baiil out while the gettings somewhat good thats the main crux of my issues.

Sidenote, I'm sitting here watching youtube videos on tini house living and damn I wish my wife would have been onboard for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I'd pay $50k for a lot on a lake or else I'd just skip that. If I am going to buy and develop land I want the land very cheap. Then, I'm going to put a very modest house there. So, I also find it incomprehensible. They did this to make money and they need to stop being confused about what to do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate