Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2022, 07:23 AM

840 posts, read 692,356 times

Advertisements

Just replied, thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I sent you a DM. You can do this!! Make a plan for the duration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 07:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think this is way off. He does have a problem that needs to be solved. Worried or bothered are just emotions that are supposed to motivate you to act but staying in that state can cause bigger problems. His wife could very well mean that.
It sounded to me like she was belittling and dismissing his concerns and feelings and like nothing was really resolved in that conversation (they're keeping the house "for now" with no concrete plans to sell it), but okay.

Good luck, OP!

Old 11-17-2022, 08:01 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It sounded to me like she was belittling and dismissing his concerns and feelings and like nothing was really resolved in that conversation (they're keeping the house "for now" with no concrete plans to sell it), but okay.

Good luck, OP!
I'm a wife so I'm likely to give her the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like they both thought the house was more important to the other than it actually was. Being married I know if something is important to the other person sometimes it requires sacrifice and one wouldn't voice their concerns readily.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:14 AM

Her feelings are that there isnt anything we can do now so I shouldnt lose sleep and bring on an early heart attack. Her point (and I agree here) is that if we sell partially completed then we lose all of the equity we have started to build up, and likely some of our initial investment. Our main disconnect is that she works in Chicago so she gets regular urban visits, at the same time I didnt realize how I would feel living in a rural area.

The main point (I suppose) of initial post is to get opinions as to whether I should weather the storm and hope rates come down, and that I adjust to a slower life or cut my losses in favor of a more simplified life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Good luck, OP!

Old 11-17-2022, 08:44 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Her feelings are that there isnt anything we can do now so I shouldnt lose sleep and bring on an early heart attack. Her point (and I agree here) is that if we sell partially completed then we lose all of the equity we have started to build up, and likely some of our initial investment. Our main disconnect is that she works in Chicago so she gets regular urban visits, at the same time I didnt realize how I would feel living in a rural area.

The main point (I suppose) of initial post is to get opinions as to whether I should weather the storm and hope rates come down, and that I adjust to a slower life or cut my losses in favor of a more simplified life.
What makes you expect rates to come down?

Old 11-17-2022, 11:36 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Our main disconnect is that she works in Chicago so she gets regular urban visits, at the same time I didnt realize how I would feel living in a rural area.

That's valid, and you can't know how living in a rural area will feel until you do it. Can you rent something cheap back in the city and pay someone to finish building the lake house? Then you have more options once the house is finished.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times
I would definitely wait to sell until the house is completed and if you took your profit and bought something outright and invested the 4k for 10 years... my guess given the ups and downs of the housing market, you would likely be in the same position. The house is no guarantee of a given profit, just like the market. My friends had a lake house built in SC and then added a pool, bought a boat, put in a dock, then something with dredging, furnished/decorated, etc, etc. Very expensive lifestyle.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:39 PM

We just cant swing doing both payments at this point, and the whole cat issue (couldnt find a place to rent originally)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
That's valid, and you can't know how living in a rural area will feel until you do it. Can you rent something cheap back in the city and pay someone to finish building the lake house? Then you have more options once the house is finished.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:33 PM

578 posts, read 300,440 times
Get the house done as soon as possible.then put it on the market. Will take a while to sell at this price point in remote Michigan even on a lake. The biggest risk in this plan is the sales price and how long it takes not the tx you might owe on a big gain.

On where to move to Philly is one option but many other cities which might be a good fit but lower cost. So explore a few while selling. Good luck that price scares me a lot in todays market and even more as the next year for real estate is likely to be rocky at these high mortgage rates.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:55 AM

A lot of work building this place, the snow sure is pretty though
Attached Thumbnails
My dilemma-snow-shot-11-18.jpg   My dilemma-snow-shot-11-18-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate