Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 PM

175 posts, read 205,387 times

Advertisements

I was scrolling through some historic cottages to get paint color ideas and saw a beautiful house for sale in TN. I'm in GA. I have no intention of leaving GA or my job. But I just can't stop thinking about the house. It is so beautiful and perfect. I even looked through job postings for Nashville which is crazy. I wonder if anyone has ever completely uprooted their life and family because they found the perfect house. And if they regretted it later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,961,298 times
All the time I fall in love with houses in other states but I know how bored I would be there.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:19 PM

175 posts, read 205,387 times
Yeah, I keep telling myself I bet the neighbors would be horrible or it's probably a flood plain.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,475,513 times
I once became so obsessed with a house in Maine I looked into buying it and using it as a rental until I someday had a use for it. Then came to my senses and realized taking care of a house 4 hours away would be a bad idea.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,448,485 times
It wasn't in another state but within a mile of where I live. The house was about 1/3 the size of my house. We weren't planning to sell.

There is a type of ranch house in my area built from the local limestone in the 50's and 60's. Typically it has a 1 car garage, no dining room, a laundry in the basement and some other things I would never consider. This one had a 2 car garage, an upstairs laundry, a dining room with a double sided fireplace, and other features I've imagined I might like in a retirement house. Plus it was probably undervalued and much less than I would be willing to spend. I kept hoping for an open house. I imagined all the updates I would make. I even was willing to overlook the less than ideal location. I was a little sad when I saw it sold.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:23 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,380,382 times
It's not the house itself, rather the location I fall in love with.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:48 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,474,945 times
Yes. I almost purchased a house I saw on a blog about historic homes for sale. It was in my commuting area but much farther out than I was. I toured it twice and took family with me for their input. But in the end, it just needed way too much work. If I would have wanted to live there for 30 years, it would have been worthwhile. But I didn't.

I also almost bought a farm in Maine. There is a website where you can find farms for sale there-- a lot of the older famers are looking to retire/sell and want younger people to take over. There was one which I thought was incredible and affordable. The owner chatted for some time with my mate and I. In the end, it was just too much.

Sometimes you need to go with your gut. If a house is calling to you and you can't shake it, it may be worth seriously thinking about, despite the impracticalities. Life is funny.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:50 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,474,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
Yeah, I keep telling myself I bet the neighbors would be horrible or it's probably a flood plain.
Why not take a weekend visit? Maybe there is a reason that you feel so drawn to this.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 AM

263 posts, read 232,307 times
I saw a little home built in a hill, but it's way out in rural inland Delaware >_< not my bag at this time in my life

the fun is in the wanting!

Old 04-27-2017, 07:50 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,114,485 times
One of my favorite things to do is pick a state, and go to Realtor.com and look at houses for sale. I go county by county, looking at houses in my price range. What with the google streets feature...it's like traveling through the areas.

There are houses that still stick out in my mind. One was a house somewhere in Texas, can't remember exactly where now, but the house was built at the turn of the century, with old fashioned wallpaper, fancy woodwork, interesting kitchen...just fascinating to me.

Another house, in Lake Charles LA, I referred to as my Barbie Dream House. It overlooked the Gulf, up on stilts, beautiful deck, beautiful rooms. WAAAAY out of our price range...thus the dream house. LOL

Another was some place in California, between a couple of mountain ranges, but looked like a desert area. The house was perfectly fine, but what fascinated me was this patio in the middle of the front yard, with a fire pit and lawn chairs. I could perfectly imagine night time being the best part of the day, and sitting outside looking at the stars. There was nothing else around but this house...so I'm sure the night sky would've been breath-taking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate