Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times

Advertisements

Why exactly is it that a seller who can't accommodate every single showing request is a sign of someone who may be difficult to deal with it in the future, but a buyer that shows zero flexibility on when to see a house isn't? Or that it means the seller isn't "serious" about selling?

I guess some of you might have said I wasn't serious about selling. Or that I was showing signs of being difficult. Oh well, to each his own.

Last edited by manderly6; 01-01-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 PM

493 posts, read 981,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Why exactly is it that a seller who can't accommodate every single showing request is a sign of someone who may be difficult to deal with it in the future, but a buyer that shows zero flexibility on when to see a house isn't? Or that it means the seller is "serious" about selling?

I guess some of you might have said I wasn't serious about selling. Or that I was showing signs of being difficult. Oh well, to each his own.
I think it depends on the market. In a buyer's market, you are competing against several houses for few buyers, in a seller's market you are competing a few houses for several buyers.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,261,264 times
Don't get me wrong...I do tell my sellers that if they CAN'T allow a showing, that is just the way it is.

However, I have had agents call me to tell me that a showing was declined and their buyers are only in town for that day and they are ready to buy. I then call my sellers, explain the situation and ask if there is any way those buyers can see the house. I've never had a seller decline.

However, a FOUR HOUR NOTICE for a showing? That is the first sign that sellers are going to be difficult. And then to decline a showing in order to do yard work? Maybe it sounds crazy to you but I've been a Realtor for a long time and if a seller is difficult about showings, there is a good chance that they are going to be difficult about negotiations, repairs, etc.

As to the "why"...I don't know why but that is how it is!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,560,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
For seven months we never ate fish in our house.
For 63 showings and 26 open houses, our 2 cats got shoved into carriers and off we went.
Our lower level was staged so there was only one chair in the entire house that we could sit in.
We made our house spotless every morning. We squeegeed the shower every day. We cleaned out the cat litter boxes daily and before every showing.
If we were not cooking then the kitchen was staged.

26 open houses ! o.m.g.

( cooking fish, broccoli, brussel sprouts are a true no no ). Eeeew.

On the other hand I don't believe in baking fresh cookies, scented candles, or those awful scented "rings" that some people put on top of the light bulbs. A nice clean uncluttered house, well maintained, always wins. Mr. Clean works for me; and as a former Realtor myself for several years, I've sold at least 18 of my own homes and was fanatical about upkeep. The kitty always goes in her locked crate too, for her own safety. And I could have the house ready for a showing in less than an hour, and... be in the car and gonzo.

Good job Dave !

Old 01-01-2013, 03:22 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Default HOw about 5 minute notice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
However, a FOUR HOUR NOTICE for a showing?
We work at home.
During our 7-month ordeal, we would get phone calls from "the desk" saying that the prospects and agent were outside and would like to tour the house.
I think our record departure delay was around 5 minutes.
I hated being a seller in a buyers' market.
I am going to let my trophy wife sell the current house after my demise.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,261,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We work at home.
During our 7-month ordeal, we would get phone calls from "the desk" saying that the prospects and agent were outside and would like to tour the house.
I think our record departure delay was around 5 minutes.
I hated being a seller in a buyers' market.
I am going to let my trophy wife sell the current house after my demise.

You did good, Dave!

I try very hard to make my appointments the day before the showing. But, sometimes, I'll be out showing houses and there is one that we didn't find in MLS. Usually due to price. But...buyers will decide that if it is the perfect house, they may go up in price and therefore, they want to see it, while we are in the n'hood. So...I call and ask to show!

Kinda funny in a sadistic way to call to make the appointment and watch the sellers RUN OUT OF THE HOUSE!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Default Why we have alleys in Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Kinda funny in a sadistic way to call to make the appointment and watch the sellers RUN OUT OF THE HOUSE!
Not in our case. Exited via the garage on the alley. I love alleys.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 AM

804 posts, read 2,893,955 times
One day we sent our realtor a list of 10 houses we wanted to see. She called back that evening saying we were not able to get into one of them because the sellers either she could not get ahold of the seller, the seller agent, or they declined a showing for the day we have available.

Too bad because there is a strong possibility we would have put an offer in on a couple of them.

If the seller declines to show the house then they are very motivated to sell and it's their loss as far as I am concerned.

As for the sellers agent who our agent couldn't get a hold of I often think we should have gone to the house a few days later and told the sellers that we were very interested in buying their house but we couldn't get a hold of their agent after several attempts so we moved onto another house. I know if I was selling my house I would want to know that so I could fire my agent and get another.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,020,971 times
There is no way to know why a seller may be declining a showing...
It's not always a lack of motivation.

While mine was on the market, I had a few days when my son was recovering from surgery .
No way was I going to move him during the first 2 days days post surgery..
That wasn't a lack of motivation...

Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 AM

43,333 posts, read 77,188,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
There is no way to know why a seller may be declining a showing...
It's not always a lack of motivation.

While mine was on the market, I had a few days when my son was recovering from surgery .
No way was I going to move him during the first 2 days days post surgery..
That wasn't a lack of motivation...
Right.
People are too swift to judge motivation.
While some sellers can be unreasonable, there are myriad valid reasons for a seller to want to control showing times.
Newborns, birthday parties, elderly or infirm residents, etc, etc.

Listing agents can be a lot of help to get the showing at a time that is convenient for all, with clear instructions and communication with Buyers' agents, up front.
It stinks to organize 8 or 10 showings in a schedule, and have one blocked without any notice on the MLS that showings are limited.
It stinks, when the agent knows there will not be showings allowed for a few days, and the property is held Active, as if it is available to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate