Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 AM

10,108 posts, read 7,775,270 times

Advertisements

When showing a house and before leaving out the door, please go back and make sure the lights are out, ceiling fans turned off, doors are shut, cabinet doors and cabinets are closed, doors are locked meaning deadbolts are all the way in and not just halfway, etc.

When entering the house and if messy weather outside, take off your shoes before leaving dirty footprints. This may be a stranger's house to you, but someone does live there and tries to take care of it and also may not get home to tidy up before the next showing. Have a little respect to leave things as you found them when you walked in.

It would also be nice to take a minute and leave some feedback on the house.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 07-31-2013 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Most good listings agents will have some kind of checklist to this effect. The reality of most showings is that buyers want to see as many houses as possible, leaving a light or fan on should not set back things too terribly. The tidier the home looks the more likely showing agents are to be sure buyers use care in keeping messes to a minimum.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
Add: if a door has a sign that says "do not open"....do not open. If a door has a sign that says "Leave door open. Litter box is in basement" do not close that door or I don't blame the owner for looking up who showed the house and attempting some suits when he returned.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,599 times
As a seller, I wish the realtors hadn't turned off all the lights. We often had multiple showings while I was at work, and I liked to leave the lights on for the prospective buyers. We had the bulbs that take time to warm up, so if the lights were turned off, the next visitor would just see a dimly lit room.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 AM

248 posts, read 674,641 times
Best solution is to leave these instructions taped on a few doors. Just limit the list to 5-6 items though.

I don't see an issue if there is a sign that says: please remove shoes, turn off lights, close doors etc. Be courteous and concise.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
Best solution is to leave these instructions taped on a few doors. Just limit the list to 5-6 items though.

I don't see an issue if there is a sign that says: please remove shoes, turn off lights, close doors etc. Be courteous and concise.
I may have to do this. I didn't want to but I think it might be a good idea....especially if it's raining outside, I'd at least want them to remove their shoes.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
Personally, I find notes like that condescending. It's like you think we're idiots and don't know how to respect someone else's property. With or without a note, you're still going to have the occacional light left on. Is it that big of a deal? Buyers know to take their shoes off if they're wet and dirty. They wouldn't walk through their own house with nasty shoes, they're not going to walk through your house with nasty shoes.

Notes like, "Pull door hard to lock door" or "Lift handle up to lock" or any actual instructions that makes your house different from other houses, is ok, but not stupid, obvious instructions.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Personally, I find notes like that condescending. It's like you think we're idiots and don't know how to respect someone else's property. With or without a note, you're still going to have the occacional light left on. Is it that big of a deal? Buyers know to take their shoes off if they're wet and dirty. They wouldn't walk through their own house with nasty shoes, they're not going to walk through your house with nasty shoes.

Notes like, "Pull door hard to lock door" or "Lift handle up to lock" or any actual instructions that makes your house different from other houses, is ok, but not stupid, obvious instructions.
You would think realtors would know better. That's why I didn't want to leave a note but evidently realtors in my area don't care enough to go back and check things.

I remember last time I tried to sell my house. I went out of town for a couple of weeks and came back to find the TV on, dirty footprints everywhere, lights left on, deadbolt barely in, etc. Some realtors are great about checking after themselves before leaving but some aren't as professional. That's just been my experience.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
You would think realtors would know better. That's why I didn't want to leave a note but evidently realtors in my area don't care enough to go back and check things.

I remember last time I tried to sell my house. I went out of town for a couple of weeks and came back to find the TV on, dirty footprints everywhere, lights left on, deadbolt barely in, etc. Some realtors are great about checking after themselves before leaving but some aren't as professional. That's just been my experience.
So, you were away for a couple of weeks, had showings, and your listing agent did not volunteer to walk through your house to keep tabs?
That is a minimum of service, IMO. Check on the listing. I go to vacant listings at least once a week to peek in.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, you were away for a couple of weeks, had showings, and your listing agent did not volunteer to walk through your house to keep tabs?
That is a minimum of service, IMO. Check on the listing. I go to vacant listings at least once a week to peek in.
You would think so. This is a realtor that had so many awards and initials by her title that it was unreal. She claimed to be the best of the best. I think that's why she didn't have time for my house. She was so busy running around selling and spread herself too thin. Sometimes the best and busiest isn't the best for you. I found that out.

Now I have someone that lives close by and is more attentive yet she doesn't have all the awards and bragging rights. She seems to want it more. I'm sure if I went out of town, she'd be more than happy to drop by. I'd be more apt to recommend my realtor now than the one I had previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate